Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is this means horrible Delta variant will end soon as the pandemic will be over in USA soon by fall?
He said “hopefully” so fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞 There does seem to be some history of waves of delta ramping up fast and then dropping off fast too. No clue if that happens here or not.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph directed his employees Monday to get vaccinated by the end of August or find a new job.

He said he had been pondering the policy change for weeks but was pushed into action by spiking COVID-19 infections, which health officials blame on a highly contagious strain known as the delta variant. Randolph’s 316 employees help about 800,000 customers a year at its six county locations."

“This variant’s getting bad. We have a responsibility to the employees to create a safe work environment and to the general public,” said Randolph, whose office’s duties include collecting property taxes, processing auto titles and issuing driver’s licenses. “We’re an agency that just can’t be closed.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Picking up a prescription at local Orlando Walgreens and just witnessed two males (30-40s) getting their first shot. Glad to see it and at least it’s something.

Another woman in her 30s came back with a man for “moral support.” Must be scared of needles.
I respect their courage in the microcosm of what the are doing at the time.
The Delta spike in India (with very little vaccination) was about five weeks from the start to the peak and about 6 weeks from peak to back down. The Delta spike in the UK (with much higher vaccination) was about five weeks from the start to what appears to have been the peak and seems to be headed back down.

The Delta spike in FL started around July 9th. If FL follows the curve of India and the UK, the peak should occur around August 13th. If it follows India on the way down, it should be back to the bottom of the hill around September 24th.

Now, FL is almost 50% fully vaccinated so that may help bring about the peak sooner or suppress it to a lower level. We'll have to see. I would expect, based on India and how the UK is looking, that this spike has burned out by the 50th at WDW.
I’m gonna view the India as irrelevant due to the fact it’s a billion people in the third world and rhe UK as anecdotal since they implemented policies to contain delta and we have done the opposite
Maybe we’ll fair better? It’s possible.

People need to grow up and get their heads out of their butts about this…the “50th”…the place is being mismanaged now and it has nothing to do with covid. They have bad management.

Supported by more than just your opinion:

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, said Sunday he thinks the U.S. is further into the COVID-19 epidemic driven by the Delta variant than Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) models are currently picking up. He said that could mean "hopefully we're going to turn a corner" in the next two to three weeks.

Best case scenario

Flugell

From what I’ve read, every post, lots of you have visited WDW. If you have seen my posts you will know that I am inclined (understatement!) to caution so has anyone who has visited WDW since the pandemic started caught Covid as a result of the trip? This could have been on a plane or in other transport situations as well as whilst at WDW. I don’t recall anyone saying that they have. If that is the case then what Disney and perhaps more importantly the guests have been doing seems to be working. This thought goes against everything I believe but needs investigation. I realise that this thread does not provide a viable sample and the participants may well be biased in favour of Disney but it seems that it could provide reassurance to people who are currently considering their options. It may of course provide more confusion.

DisneyCane

"Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph directed his employees Monday to get vaccinated by the end of August or find a new job.

He said he had been pondering the policy change for weeks but was pushed into action by spiking COVID-19 infections, which health officials blame on a highly contagious strain known as the delta variant. Randolph’s 316 employees help about 800,000 customers a year at its six county locations."

“This variant’s getting bad. We have a responsibility to the employees to create a safe work environment and to the general public,” said Randolph, whose office’s duties include collecting property taxes, processing auto titles and issuing driver’s licenses. “We’re an agency that just can’t be closed.”

I hope more employers do this. Is perfectly legal. I guess the OCTC employees aren't unionized because that is what will prevent Disney from doing it. Well, that and they can't afford even 10% of the employees to refuse and quit or be terminated.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From what I’ve read, every post, lots of you have visited WDW. If you have seen my posts you will know that I am inclined (understatement!) to caution so has anyone who has visited WDW since the pandemic started caught Covid as a result of the trip? This could have been on a plane or in other transport situations as well as whilst at WDW. I don’t recall anyone saying that they have. If that is the case then what Disney and perhaps more importantly the guests have been doing seems to be working. This thought goes against everything I believe but needs investigation. I realise that this thread does not provide a viable sample and the participants may well be biased in favour of Disney but it seems that it could provide reassurance to people who are currently considering their options. It may of course provide more confusion.

With the number of people going through Disney it's pretty much guaranteed that someone got Covid on their trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope more employers do this. Is perfectly legal. I guess the OCTC employees aren't unionized because that is what will prevent Disney from doing it. Well, that and they can't afford even 10% of the employees to refuse and quit or be terminated.
Good lord…more from the faux playbook

there is zero legitimate reason to make a union the anti-vax boogeyman. You swallow all the crap you click/hear on you’re favorite shows don’t you?

and the unions stance would likely be ask Disney to cover costs if there are any? Not worry about non-compliance termination.

those unions are fairly toothless…because the Gip made them the boogeyman decades ago…while the companies were allowed to transfer their profits overseas and put “new” factories next to Shanghai Disneyland.

details…and I think ALOT about unions suck…but they are scapegoated constantly by the people with the money.

DisneyCane

I don't know if you can draw conclusions on a such a small sample size. My wife didn't get COVID and she had severely ill COVID patients coughing in her face last year. Yes she was using an N95 and face shield but they aren't perfect protection especially since she says that no N95 ever fits her properly and she can always smell the scent when they do the fit test, no matter what size she uses.

The plane is probably a lower risk than a lot of indoor areas at WDW, especially queues. If you've read this thread you know that I am not very risk averse when it comes to COVID. That said, if you are then you probably shouldn't go right now. The mental anguish may ruin any enjoyment.

Flugell

I don't know if you can draw conclusions on a such a small sample size. My wife didn't get COVID and she had severely ill COVID patients coughing in her face last year. Yes she was using an N95 and face shield but they aren't perfect protection especially since she says that no N95 ever fits her properly and she can always smell the scent when they do the fit test, no matter what size she uses.

The plane is probably a lower risk than a lot of indoor areas at WDW, especially queues. If you've read this thread you know that I am not very risk averse when it comes to COVID. That said, if you are then you probably shouldn't go right now. The mental anguish may ruin any enjoyment.
Sadly as I’m in the U.K. I don’t have the option at the moment. It was a random thought that popped into my head and thought I’d ask!

DisneyCane

Good lord…more from the faux playbook

there is zero legitimate reason to make a union the anti-vax boogeyman. You swallow all the crap you click/hear on you’re favorite shows don’t you?

and the unions stance would likely be ask Disney to cover costs if there are any? Not worry about non-compliance termination.

those unions are fairly toothless…because the Gip made them the boogeyman decades ago…while the companies were allowed to transfer their profits overseas and put “new” factories next to Shanghai Disneyland.

details…and I think ALOT about unions suck…but they are scapegoated constantly by the people with the money.
Do you really believe the unions that represent CMs would be OK with Disney requiring them to be vaccinated as a condition of employment?

I didn't say they were an anti-vax boogeyman. Just that they would be unlikely to agree to mandatory vaccination.

BTW, I don't really watch any shows or read opinions. I develop my own opinions based on my life experiences and looking at source data (in the case of COVID) or unedited video and transcripts on other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom