Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Are there any people eating attractions or shows still closed? Or, not running at close to full capacity? Especially indoor stuff?

How about restaurants? Any that are entirely closed, vs reduced capacity within one?

My guess is that they're not going to reduce any overall capacity at all. The most they are likely to do is require indoor masks and then pack in full loads of people for all the indoor stuff. For restaurants where you cannot mask, they might bring more locations online and spread out capacity among them. Something like having the full restaurant location capacity they would have at peak with the reduced park capacity they have now (even if it's not reduced much, its not the same as super full day), allowing them to spread out and have less capacity in each location.

It's clear by now that masks beat out distance. If you're only getting one, it's not going to be distance. Despite what people may prefer.

As someone else pointed out though, they're not likely to do anything unless the risk of bad press gets to large. They've adjusted to "it's over" and most of the guests have too. Doesn't matter if it's over or not. Those who haven't just aren't going now. Demand has never been a problem, there's still enough in the "it's over" group no matter their vaccination status.
Lots of shows are still closed. Even outdoor ones.

Trauma

Sure there's a difference. The alpha variant had an r0 of around 2.5, Delta has an r0 of between 6 and 8. It is orders of magnitude more infectious than the alpha variant. The difference between now and march is that now we're sitting at the foothill of cases that indicate a coming tidal wave of explosive exponential infection rates and we know it.
An explosion of infection rates among the non vaccinated.

They are gonna catch it at some point anyways.

dreday3

Sure there's a difference. The alpha variant had an r0 of around 2.5, Delta has an r0 of between 6 and 8. It is orders of magnitude more infectious than the alpha variant. The difference between now and march is that now we're sitting at the foothill of cases that indicate a coming tidal wave of explosive exponential infection rates and we know it.

If you look at the CDC data tracker now and it's predicted forecast, even with everything you are saying - the death count is and is predicted to be dramatically lower than previous waves.

So that's something...

If you look at the CDC data tracker now and it's predicted forecast, even with everything you are saying - the death count is and is predicted to be dramatically lower than previous waves.

So that's something...
Yeah here's hoping on that front for sure! Still, we know where this infection trajectory is headed, seems deranged to not make every effort to mitigate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Perhaps you missed this in the news but all of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies dropped everything they were doing and focused on developing a vaccine for Covid. Pfizer and Moderna received emergency use authorization for their vaccines after releasing incredible efficacy data and the world started on the largest vaccination campaign in history. After a slow start the US has now at least started vaccinations on 2/3 of eligible people (kids under 12 aren’t eligible yet) and just under 70% of adults in the country (including 90% of the high risk 65+ demographic). The vaccines have proved to be 90%+ effective at preventing serious illness, hospitalization and death even vs the delta variant.

Aside from the vaccines we have also learned a great deal about the way the virus spreads and what activities are more likely to contribute to spread. The mass stay at home orders in March 2020 were necessary because we had no idea what we were dealing with. We weren’t even wearing masks regularly yet. I agreed with the stay at home orders at the time and still think they were the right move, but they came at a large cost to taxpayers and businesses. I don’t think we should make a decision to repeat that unless absolutely needed.

HeartOfTeFiti

How do you bring back distancing at Disney?

The rooms are already sold.

The park reservations made.

Dining is booked.

Do you just randomly cancel people’s reservations?
I cancelled mine just yesterday. I can't even pretend I want to get on a plane or be around a crowd of people. We're going to have an epic staycation instead. I don't even really feel sad about it. It's just the way things are now and my family has to adjust expectations and make the most of the situation. Our vacation dollars are being used to add recreation options to our home and yard.

Jrb1979

Since day 1 all anyone cares about is deaths. While yes you will most likely survive if you get Covid, I'm sure as hell don't want to get it or get a severe case of it.

Yeah here's hoping on that front for sure! Still, we know where this infection trajectory is headed, seems deranged to not make every effort to mitigate.
I agree there should be an effort to mitigate. The problem is the attitude of those in charge and those who are vaccinated. Neither one cares anymore. It's why I don't have any empathy for what's going on.

DisneyDebRob

I cancelled mine just yesterday. I can't even pretend I want to get on a plane or be around a crowd of people. We're going to have an epic staycation instead. I don't even really feel sad about it. It's just the way things are now and my family has to adjust expectations and make the most of the situation. Our vacation dollars are being used to add recreation options to our home and yard.
Everyone needs to do what they feel is right and safe for their family, without the criticism of others. Some feel they can now go to WDW and enjoy themselves. Others felt that way 4 -6 months ago. Others like yourself don’t feel comfortable yet. Whatever works for everyone. Enjoy your staycation and what is nice is actually seeing something invested in your home daily that might not have been there if the big vacation was taken. Enjoy!

Trauma

Since day 1 all anyone cares about is deaths. While yes you will most likely survive if you get Covid, I'm sure as hell don't want to get it or get a severe case of it.

I agree there should be an effort to mitigate. The problem is the attitude of those in charge and those who are vaccinated. Neither one cares anymore. It's why I don't have any empathy for what's going on.
No the problem is with the attitude of those who refuse to get vaccinated.

But yeah I guess the real problem here is the vaccinated who don’t want to wear a mask.

That’s going to fix everything !

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think he meant that Disney canceled vacations, dining reservations..etc and besides the backlash from some did it quickly. I believe he’s saying that they can do all that again with it not being a big deal. Don’t think it ever gets to that point with the huge difference between then and now as you said. But they could if they wanted too. The OP can correct me if I read it wrong but they were responding to someone saying how could disney do that with everyone booked into hotels.. well they did it before.
Sure Disney could do it, but why would they? The shut down back in March 2020 was part of a massive stay at home campaign nationwide. It made sense then and was easily explained to shareholders and Wall Street as well as guests. The majority of people who had their trips canceled probably would have cancelled anyway. Even with low capacity limits they weren’t hitting the cap on park reservations at all last Summer. Public sentiment overwhelming favored them being shut down. Today that’s not true. People would not be as accepting of a shut down of WDW. It would be a massive PR nightmare for Disney. If things get bad enough and the public sentiment swings then maybe that changes but the PR and financial hits would be devastating right now.

Jrb1979

No the problem is with the attitude of those who refuse to get vaccinated.

But yeah I guess the real problem here is the vaccinated who don’t want to wear a mask.

That’s going to fix everything !
Whatever dude. You're so hung up on masks when it's far from the issue.

The attitude of the the people in charge not doing enough to get more vaccinated is a problem.

Heppenheimer

I don’t think they want us. They are more than happy to sell us their syrup and delicious ice cream but at this point they are probably looking around saying what the heck are the rest of you guys doing ;)
Yeah, pretty much. Wondering about the south and parts of the midwest, mainly. You guys in the rest of the northeast seem to be doing your honest best.

Don't expect to see the sun much if you come visit this summer. Wettest, coolest summer since I've lived here. I haven't even tried to swim in the lakes yet this year.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
When though? If delta is so deadly and the cases/hospitalizations are now through the roof why the delay? If masks are that important to stop delta in its tracks it should be done ASAP, no?
If we’ve learned anything since this thing started, it’s that nothing makes sense. All I know is, thank goodness we have the vaccine. People were calling for no masks before! Common sense went the way of the dodo long ago.

DisneyDebRob

Sure Disney could do it, but why would they? The shut down back in March 2020 was part of a massive stay at home campaign nationwide. It made sense then and was easily explained to shareholders and Wall Street as well as guests. The majority of people who had their trips canceled probably would have cancelled anyway. Even with low capacity limits they weren’t hitting the cap on park reservations at all last Summer. Public sentiment overwhelming favored them being shut down. Today that’s not true. People would not be as accepting of a shut down of WDW. It would be a massive PR nightmare for Disney. If things get bad enough and the public sentiment swings then maybe that changes but the PR and financial hits would be devastating right now.
We are in agreement.. you could have saved a lot of typing right then. 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom