News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

It will died down when it runs into the wall of vaccines…

that ain’t in Florida

Vermont is looking good 👍🏻
India's spike died down because of vaccines? India is currently far less vaccinated than FL by percentage of population. It's not even close. UK? Maybe but I'm pretty sure the spike happened after the vaccination campaign was well underway.

It will die down because that's what outbreaks do. The unknown factor is how high the peak will be. It is a misconception that the natural curve of an outbreak is either ever increasing or stays at a high level until herd immunity is reached. That's just not what happens in reality. There is a bell curve shape. If you don't reach herd immunity then there is a high chance for more spikes in the future but each one will die down on its own (even without vaccines).

Otterhead

The CDC’s credibility would take a beating if they changed their guidance this quick. As of Friday they were all in not changing their guidance
It's a tough situation, yeah. I was reading an interview with some of the CDC folks who seemed really frustrated; when they issued the guidance of "Get the shot, and you don't have to wear a mask!", they honestly thought it would encourage most people to get vaccinated so they could go without masks. It makes sense logically. Instead, when vaccinated folks went mask-less, everyone else did, too, and it made numbers start shooting upwards again.

The current thinking is that they might try to issue a new guidance such as "If you're unvaccinated, wear a mask indoors and around other people," but it might be too late to reverse things, even partially.

My prediction is that Disney will say something like "we encourage you to wear masks for safety" (not quite requiring them) and bring back six-foot distancing on indoor queues, because that's quick & easy to re-implement and does a good job of separation.

DisneyCane

It's a tough situation, yeah. I was reading an interview with some of the CDC folks who seemed really frustrated; when they issued the guidance of "Get the shot, and you don't have to wear a mask!", they honestly thought it would encourage most people to get vaccinated so they could go without masks. It makes sense logically. Instead, when vaccinated folks went mask-less, everyone else did, too, and it made numbers start shooting upwards again.

The current thinking is that they might try to issue a new guidance such as "If you're unvaccinated, wear a mask indoors and around other people," but it might be too late to reverse things, even partially.

My prediction is that Disney will say something like "we encourage you to wear masks for safety" (not quite requiring them) and bring back six-foot distancing on indoor queues, because that's quick & easy to re-implement and does a good job of separation.
If they re-implement the social distancing on the indoor portions of the queues, they will likely have to limit capacity further because it will make the queues physically longer.

Before we draw the conclusion that unvaccinated not wearing masks is what led to the increase in cases, let's see what the data shows for LA county since they reinstituted the indoor mask mandate. It's too early to draw a conclusion but in a week or so it should be valid.

Otterhead

Before we draw the conclusion that unvaccinated not wearing masks is what led to the increase in case
It certainly seems to have. Cities all over the country are talking about bringing them back since they saw cases shoot up right after mask mandates were dropped.

If they re-implement the social distancing on the indoor portions of the queues, they will likely have to limit capacity further because it will make the queues physically longer.
That's very true, and I'm wondering if that might be part of the rumored Genie/FP replacement that would essentially create virtual queues for all rides. If the queues are shortened by "new Fastpass", socially-distanced queue size could be factored in easily.

Disstevefan1

I was just in Vegas for a conference and there was probably about 25% of people who were wearing masks (voluntarily). Granted, it's a bit more of a hotspot than Florida but I found it interesting. Certainly not a high number, but wasn't zero by any means.

To the point above though, I actually think the number of people who would not go on a trip to Disney or (even more aggressively) would cancel a trip there that is planned if masks were reinstated would be a small percentage. I think most people dislike masks and would prefer not to wear them, but in light of rising cases, most would also be understanding if Disney imposed a mask rule. (I'm thinking an indoor mask rule; the data is strong enough that outdoor mask rules seem pretty pointless and would indeed be poorly received in Florida heat and humidity.) I mean, the vast majority of people seem perfectly fine with wearing a mask while at on flights without putting up a huge stink and that's how many folks would get to WDW anyway.

I also think people would be more understanding of a mask rule at WDW where a large percentage of the guests are under 12 and not even able to get the vaccine. It's not exactly the same age range of your local supermarket or Target.

Edit: I'm not saying they should return to a mask required policy (I don't think they should) nor do I think they will (they won't). Just that if they did require them again, I don't think the reaction from guests will be as severe as suggested by some here.
I agree with you. A very small percentage would cancel, the vast majority would make the adjustment and go. A WDW vacation today as mostly about making adjustments to how it was before the pandemic.

The folks what will cancel because of a mask policy are canceling to make a statement. That’s fine! I defend your right to do it!

It doesn’t matter to Disney, the parks will still be super MOBBED at what looks like to be to be pre pandemic levels anyway.

Thelazer

FWIW, I was just in NYC for a conference. I'd put mask usage at 30%... and most of that was the service industry folks (waiters, etc) who more than likely HAD to wear them due to employer mandate. In other-words, on the streets, the common folk.. it's over.

celluloid

I got the same sort of answer from member services for DVC.

They made it very clear to me that masks where not coming back when I called to inquire about canceling my trip if they brought back mandates.

I was expecting some sort of very corporate tightrope walk of an answer.

Instead the cast member insisted that masks would not be returning unless forced by the state.

I told him I was sorry for calling about something that hasn’t happened yet and he said “No worry I get this call all the time”.

Disney has to know how many cancellations are coming if things change.
Just a heads up, they are required on monorails, ferry and Skyliner.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

It certainly seems to have. Cities all over the country are talking about bringing them back since they saw cases shoot up right after mask mandates were dropped.

That's very true, and I'm wondering if that might be part of the rumored Genie/FP replacement that would essentially create virtual queues for all rides. If the queues are shortened by "new Fastpass", socially-distanced queue size could be factored in easily.
The cases also went up as Delta became, by far, the dominant variant. Correlation doesn't equal causation. It's been over a week since LA County reinstituted the indoor mask mandate. Like I said it's too early to draw conclusions due to incubation period. Comparing the LA County data from this week to other parts of California will give an idea about how much of an effect it is having.

Disstevefan1

FWIW, I was just in NYC for a conference. I'd put mask usage at 30%... and most of that was the service industry folks (waiters, etc) who more than likely HAD to wear them due to employer mandate. In other-words, on the streets, the common folk.. it's over.
After the initial disastrous number of cases and deaths in NYC, the case were very low throughout the pandemic, of course that was during the lock down but still very low.

It will be interesting how it goes moving forward; when the enhanced unemployment ends and restaurants and other things fully open and we head into the fall and winter.

DisneyCane

I agree with you. A very small percentage would cancel, the vast majority would make the adjustment and go. A WDW vacation today as mostly about making adjustments to how it was before the pandemic.

The folks what will cancel because of a mask policy are canceling to make a statement. That’s fine! I defend your right to do it!

It doesn’t matter to Disney, the parks will still be super MOBBED at what looks like to be to be pre pandemic levels anyway.
I don't know how many would cancel but I do predict a lot of confrontations with CMs if they bring it back.

Pretty much what I expect at any place that brings it back. It's only been 2 1/2 months since the requirements were lifted (1 1/2 for WDW). If course is reversed that quickly a large percentage of people are going to be annoyed by it. A lot more than were annoyed to the point of non-compliance the first time.

If the CDC changes guidance that soon, no matter what the "science" behind it is, it will be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to trusting the experts.

Otterhead

If the CDC changes guidance that soon, no matter what the "science" behind it is, it will be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to trusting the experts.
Yes, as we've seen over the past year, there's a lot of very small-minded people out there who take any opportunity to distrust scientists.

I'd sincerely like to believe that if the nation's top disease experts said "hey, America, when we said you didn't have to wear masks, we meant the people who'd been vaccinated. A lot of you broke the rules, and now there's a far-easier-to-contract version of the virus out there, so it's much easier to get sick & spread it around, so if you're unvaccinated, please wear masks around other people," it would be a reasonable, understandable request. But I'm sure that even that tiny, small, easy-to-do thing to help other people out will make a lot of people unreasonably angry and "break the camel's back" somehow.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
India's spike died down because of vaccines? India is currently far less vaccinated than FL by percentage of population. It's not even close. UK? Maybe but I'm pretty sure the spike happened after the vaccination campaign was well underway.

It will die down because that's what outbreaks do. The unknown factor is how high the peak will be. It is a misconception that the natural curve of an outbreak is either ever increasing or stays at a high level until herd immunity is reached. That's just not what happens in reality. There is a bell curve shape. If you don't reach herd immunity then there is a high chance for more spikes in the future but each one will die down on its own (even without vaccines).
I only trust the data reporting out of India slightly less than I trust florida

I am sure many would, but after being there 2 weeks without masks, I can tell you that I would think twice about going there in summer with any mask mandate in place, indoors or outdoors, just from a comfort and enjoyment level. It costs too much to go to Disney and also deal with the massive discomfort from wearing double-ply masks in the Florida heat. Wearing them on the buses was hard enough for me, because even though there is AC, your body temp is up and you are breathing hot, humid air directly into that thing.

For the record - I do believe masks are an effective form of mitigation, and have worn them occasionally since being vaccinated, in situations that required it. I am just saying that if given the choice of going to WDW maskless or not going at all, I would wait to return until this thing is finally past us, and it is not meant to be a statement.

The real solution for this is not masks, anyway. That is the temporary mitigation. Only the vaccines will put COVID-19 in the rearview (or at least finally drop it to a flu-like illness).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
India?

Cases plummeting: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/

6.8% fully vaccinated: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=IND

Not saying we shouldn’t be taking it seriously and clearly more people need to get vaccinated, but it does appear that it the current peak will eventually recede.
That’s “the plan”?

how about a health push for the vax instead of visiting the Texas border wall to look for the “migrant caravan”?

(I’m not gonna let that one go…it’s as stupid as all the followers claim they aren’t…but are)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am sure many would, but after being there 2 weeks without masks, I can tell you that I would think twice about going there in summer with any mask mandate in place, indoors or outdoors, just from a comfort and enjoyment level. It costs too much to go to Disney and also deal with the massive discomfort from wearing double-ply masks in the Florida heat. Wearing them on the buses was hard enough for me, because even though there is AC, your body temp is up and you are breathing hot, humid air directly into that thing.

For the record - I do believe masks are an effective form of mitigation, and have worn them occasionally since being vaccinated, in situations that required it. I am just saying that if given the choice of going to WDW maskless or not going at all, I would wait to return until this thing is finally past us, and it is not meant to be a statement.

The real solution for this is not masks, anyway. That is the temporary mitigation. Only the vaccines will put COVID-19 in the rearview (or at least finally drop it to a flu-like illness).
The feedback I’m getting is there are too many people there for the staffing and operational situation and they are acting like buffoons…

covid or not…that sucks.

so are masks “the problem”??

The feedback I’m getting is there are too many people there for the staffing and operational situation and they are acting like buffoons…

covid or not…that sucks.

so are masks “the problem”??
Crowds were not a huge issue that I could tell, but that does not mean everything was perfect. There are always buffoons.

I am just saying from a personal preference I would not want to wear a mask in summer-time Florida, and if my choice is to wear them or not go, I think I would not go. Not saying they are the "problem".

pdude81

India had high covid spread earlier on also before this wave, didn't it? Plus had as many as half a million cases reported a day, which is likely to be a vast undercount. At this point they could have more than 60% of their population with some immunity from at least one dose of a vaccine or prior infection. So they really should be on the way down.

Florida may be the same way as those who don't want to get vaccinated may be getting covid. I just wish we could get to the point where kids have an option before we go back to confusing rights and privileges again.

Otterhead

I can tell you that I would think twice about going there in summer with any mask mandate in place, indoors or outdoors, just from a comfort and enjoyment level. It costs too much to go to Disney and also deal with the massive discomfort from wearing double-ply masks in the Florida heat.
My family and I visited last October early in the month, when masks were still 100% required, and as strongly as I support masks, I feel exactly the same way as you. It was in the low 90s with FL humidity; walking around EPCOT with zero shade and breathing ultra humid air through a mask was pretty awful. We had to take frequent breaks; my 80-year-old father in law almost fainted. And that was in "autumn"; I can't imagine how nasty it would be in August. I 100% understand people who'd want to postpone their trips if masks were required and they were visiting during the hotter months.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Crowds were not a huge issue that I could tell, but that does not mean everything was perfect. There are always buffoons.

I am just saying from a personal preference I would not want to wear a mask in summer-time Florida, and if my choice is to wear them or not go, I think I would not go. Not saying they are the "problem".
Nobody ever wanted to wear a mask…for one second of one day…

but the reason this is a two year thing instead of a one is people doing what they want without the mental capacity to decide what they should want. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom