News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was just in Vegas for a conference and there was probably about 25% of people who were wearing masks (voluntarily). Granted, it's a bit more of a hotspot than Florida but I found it interesting. Certainly not a high number, but wasn't zero by any means.

To the point above though, I actually think the number of people who would not go on a trip to Disney or (even more aggressively) would cancel a trip there that is planned if masks were reinstated would be a small percentage. I think most people dislike masks and would prefer not to wear them, but in light of rising cases, most would also be understanding if Disney imposed a mask rule. (I'm thinking an indoor mask rule; the data is strong enough that outdoor mask rules seem pretty pointless and would indeed be poorly received in Florida heat and humidity.) I mean, the vast majority of people seem perfectly fine with wearing a mask while at on flights without putting up a huge stink and that's how many folks would get to WDW anyway.

I also think people would be more understanding of a mask rule at WDW where a large percentage of the guests are under 12 and not even able to get the vaccine. It's not exactly the same age range of your local supermarket or Target.

Edit: I'm not saying they should return to a mask required policy (I don't think they should) nor do I think they will (they won't). Just that if they did require them again, I don't think the reaction from guests will be as severe as suggested by some here.
There is no more “hotspot” place than Florida.

1 out of 5 news cases are coming from there - and rising. And the delta is over 80% of those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trauma

I am not doubting you, but I am really surprised that CM would say that. I would assume the call center people would have a very carefully worded script to answer this question since I am sure they get it a lot.
I got the same sort of answer from member services for DVC.

They made it very clear to me that masks where not coming back when I called to inquire about canceling my trip if they brought back mandates.

I was expecting some sort of very corporate tightrope walk of an answer.

Instead the cast member insisted that masks would not be returning unless forced by the state.

I told him I was sorry for calling about something that hasn’t happened yet and he said “No worry I get this call all the time”.

Disney has to know how many cancellations are coming if things change.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I got the same sort of answer from member services for DVC.

They made it very clear to me that masks where not coming back when I called to inquire about canceling my trip if they brought back mandates.

I was expecting some sort of very corporate tightrope walk of an answer.

Instead the cast member insisted that masks would not be returning unless forced by the state.

I told him I was sorry for calling about something that hasn’t happened yet and he said “No worry I get this call all the time”.

Disney has to know how many cancellations are coming if things change.
They wouldn’t have the slightest of clues

and they were WAY off script.

nametags know nothing about decisions. Never Have…never will

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not paying 14k to wear a mask and feel like I’m in a hospital.
I agree. We went in May to use up expiring DVC points but the masks were awful. I know they’re a nonissue to a lot of people here, but we found that they made the entire experience much less enjoyable. If the situation is such that masks will be required in October, we’ll cancel and go another time. It’s not like a doctor’s visit - we can go on vacation anytime.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not paying 14k to wear a mask and feel like I’m in a hospital.
You’re paying way too much. I thought you were DVC?
I think we had this conversation before…apologies if so.
I agree. We went in May to use up expiring DVC points but the masks were awful. I know they’re a nonissue to a lot of people here, but we found that they made the entire experience much less enjoyable. If the situation is such that masks will be required in October, we’ll cancel and go another time. It’s not like a doctor’s visit - we can go on vacation anytime.
I didn’t have any problems…guess I’m more “rust belt tough”, eh?

Chi84

Premium Member
Could be. It’s just that people are different and don’t all have the same comfort levels. I don’t want to need to be tough at WDW - I’d just like to be comfortable and enjoy myself. I know there are people who are not bothered by masks; that’s not my experience though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Could be. It’s just that people are different and don’t all have the same comfort levels. I don’t want to need to be tough at WDW - I’d just like to be comfortable and enjoy myself. I know there are people who are not bothered by masks; that’s not my experience though.
It wouldn’t matter if people just did what they should these last 6 months.

6 months…

but they didn’t. But we can’t expect people to do what they don’t want, right? Even if it would let them “do what they want” ☹️

Trauma

You’re paying way too much. I thought you were DVC?
I think we had this conversation before…apologies if so.

I am DVC my points have a value.

My grand villa is costing 9k of what my points would rent for.

Then there is park tickets etc for 8 people.

I didn’t know having a sub par experience made you tough. I could think of other words but tough doesn’t come to mind.

Chi84

Premium Member
It wouldn’t matter if people just did what they should these last 6 months.

6 months…

but they didn’t. But we can’t expect people to do what they don’t want, right? Even if it would let them “do what they want” ☹️
Your response has nothing to do with what I said. I said I choose not to go to WDW while masks are required, you said you didn’t have an issue with them because you’re tough and I said people are different. I have no idea what you’re responding to now. It’s not the first time you seem to be alluding to something you think I (or more likely someone you’ve confused me with) said in the past. In any event, your response makes no sense to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your response has nothing to do with what I said. I said I choose not to go to WDW while masks are required, you said you didn’t have an issue with them because you’re tough and I said people are different. I have no idea what you’re responding to now. It’s not the first time you seem to be alluding to something you think I (or more likely someone you’ve confused me with) said in the past. In any event, your response makes no sense to me.
…short memory

I’ll refresh you. Through this whole miserable thing, you repeatedly (it’s in the threads) maintained that people were gonna do what they want to do and it’s foolish to expect otherwise.

perhaps so. But now we have yet another example of how far you can trust neighbor…
49.8% vaccinated when we have enough supply to go way beyond the 84% that could be at this point.

so if the masking mandate goes back in…and rest assured - Disney board and legal team are considering it - then we’ve been “rewarded” in our faith in the lack of common sense from our neighbors, have we not?

it is what it is.

Chi84

Premium Member
…short memory

I’ll refresh you. Through this whole miserable thing, you repeatedly (it’s in the threads) maintained that people were gonna do what they want to do and it’s foolish to expect otherwise.

perhaps so. But now we have yet another example of how far you can trust neighbor…
49.8% vaccinated when we have enough supply to go way beyond the 84% that could be at this point.

so if the masking mandate goes back in…and rest assured - Disney board and legal team are considering it - then we’ve been “rewarded” in our faith in the lack of common sense from our neighbors, have we not?

it is what it is.
That's a rather simplistic interpretation of what I said. To clarify, I believe my expectations of people during this pandemic have been very reasonable. I expected them to do whatever they could (considering their own personal circumstances) to avoid spreading the virus until a vaccine was developed. Then I expected them to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. I don't think those expectations were foolish, and it's tragic more people didn't meet them.

The question then becomes what a society can do when people don't live up to those expectations. That's the issue facing our leaders today, and it's a serious one that requires thoughtful and effective solutions that will be difficult to implement. Ranting and raving about how stupid people are may make some people feel better, but in my opinion, it's not helpful. Others clearly disagree and that's fine - the anonymity of the internet certainly enables it.

Obviously, Disney will follow whatever laws are put in place, but I never thought that fear of legal liability was the driving force behind their decisions on mitigation measures. Again, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

danv3

DisneyCane

Ask again in three weeks. Deaths trail cases.
But even then we may not know, as Florida no longer reports when the deaths actually occurred.
What are you talking about? There is a chart in the weekly report that shows in which week the deaths occurred since the beginning of the pandemic.

Also, you (and many others) are confusing reporting and publishing. FL still reports all data to the CDC, it just doesn't publish daily. The CDC does publish daily numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom