Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's unfortunate. Some don't appreciate a good product. Whattaburger tried opening up in Central Florida and closed up the location a year later. But the USA's largest stand alone McDonalds is at the intersection of Sand Lake/I Drive a few minutes from Universal. .
There is such a thing as too much... around me (and this is suburbs, not city)

just a quick list in my <10mile radius

Burger 21
The Burger Shack
Melt
BurgerIM
Wayback Burger
Habit Burger Grill
Five Guys
Fuddruckers
Capital Burger
Red Robin
West Gourmet Burgers
BurgerFi
Elevation Burger
The Counter
BGR
Smashburger
Fosters Grill

And that's just the burger 'speciality' places...

Lilofan

There is such a thing as too much... around me (and this is suburbs, not city)

just a quick list in my <10mile radius

Burger 21
The Burger Shack
Melt
BurgerIM
Wayback Burger
Habit Burger Grill
Five Guys
Fuddruckers
Capital Burger
Red Robin
West Gourmet Burgers
BurgerFi
Elevation Burger
The Counter
BGR
Smashburger
Fosters Grill

And that's just the burger 'speciality' places...
My cholesterol just shot up just by seeing this incredible list of places but mine is under control through diet and exercise.

UNCgolf

I'm so out of the loop with this conversation about fries and fast food; for me fast casual has completely taken over since bursting onto the scene. It really started with Chipotle, but now you have the "Chipotle" of everything, as well as places more built around composed plates: Sweetgreen, Shake Shack, Blaze, MOD, Cava, Tender Greens, Lemonade, Urban Plates, Curry Up Now, etc.

Most metro areas also have their own unique takes on this model, and I love it - only a few bucks more than McDonald's at this stage, but much higher quality. Polite Pig and D-Luxe Burger in Disney Springs are also solid examples, and it's typically easier to make healthy substitutions at these venues.

I think fast casual is going to be the great equalizer of accessing quality food regardless of where you live. It already says something that places like Sweetgreen are sprouting up in Miami, Colorado, and Texas - they're following the transplants from the East and West Coasts who are seeking out that quality. Maybe Orlando will be next?

This trend should help mitigate the 'loss' any foodies feel heading from LA to Central Florida - it's a lot easier to eat well than it was 10 years ago.

I think Five Guys also falls into that fast casual category -- it's definitely not a fast food place -- although it certainly has a more limited menu.

Polite Pig is incredibly good for what it is. It's my favorite QS place anywhere at WDW.

Food halls seem to be a big trend these days, at least in Atlanta (I assume it's not isolated to Atlanta). A central location with a variety of local, high quality, chef-run fast casual options, so people can get whatever food they want and still dine together. It's a bit like an airport terminal or old mall food court, just with much higher quality food.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think Five Guys also falls into that fast casual category -- it's definitely not a fast food place -- although it certainly has a more limited menu.

Polite Pig is incredibly good for what it is. It's my favorite QS place anywhere at WDW.

Food halls seem to be a big trend these days, at least in Atlanta (I assume it's not isolated to Atlanta). A central location with a variety of local, high quality, chef-run fast casual options, so people can get whatever food they want and still dine together. It's a bit like an airport terminal or old mall food court, just with much higher quality food.
In terms of WDW quick service, I might place Satu'li Canteen above Polite Pig (the salad bowls are more my style - it's probably my favorite thing in Pandora), but they're both so good. Satu'li is also pretty close to fast casual, given its "build your bowl" model and lighter choices.

Don't see as many food halls as I would've expected 5-6 years ago, but each major metro area certainly has something that meets the standard: Chelsea Market in NYC (and quite a few others), Grand Central Market in LA, the Ferry Building in SF, even Anaheim's in on the fun with the Packing District. Definitely an upgrade in terms of overall experience and food quality. Are there any food halls in Orlando people around here really like?

Lilofan

In terms of WDW quick service, I might place Satu'li Canteen above Polite Pig (the salad bowls are more my style - it's probably my favorite thing in Pandora), but they're both so good. Satu'li is also pretty close to fast casual, given its "build your bowl" model and lighter choices.

Don't see as many food halls as I would've expected 5-6 years ago, but each major metro area certainly has something that meets the standard: Chelsea Market in NYC (and quite a few others), Grand Central Market in LA, the Ferry Building in SF, even Anaheim's in on the fun with the Packing District. Definitely an upgrade in terms of overall experience and food quality. Are there any food halls in Orlando people around here really like?
East End Market near Downtown Orlando but it is nowhere like to the scale of NYC, LA, SF food halls and quality. CA transplants moving to Central Florida will probably be disappointed but Orlando is at least trying.

UNCgolf

I think Pizza Ponte and Polite Pig are my two favorite QS locations. I've never eaten at Satu'li Canteen, but I've heard many good things.

Atlanta has several food halls already (Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market are the biggest) and more are currently under construction/opening soon. It's quite the thing here.

scottb411

Interesting - didn't know Habit Burger had made it east but that's something, albeit not really the same as having it in your metro area.

Putting aside the fast food debate, Central Florida does have some very good restaurants, but the overall concentration still skews heavy in favor of chains (Darden and Bloomin' Brands pretty much dominate) and theme park/concession fare. The good neighborhood restaurants are generally a lot more spread out, and even the quality restaurants at the theme parks & resorts have resort pricing built in.

I'm well aware of the quality coming out of places like the Ravenous Pig and Kadence, but it doesn't really count saying "Miami has an excellent food scene", or Charleston, or New Orleans, for those who'll be based closer to MCO than anything.

Stating that Orlando still skews heavy in favor of chains and theme park/concession fare is a false statement that describes Orlando from the 90's. I'll list some restaurants to check out the next time you are in town including Francesco's, Luke's, Houndstooth, Outpost, Sanford Brewing Company, Teak, Boku, Jeremiah's, Antonio's, Brick & Spoon, First Watch, Dexter's, Bento, Sakari Sushi, Hangry Bison, Hillstone, Sixty Vines, Glass Knife, Rocco's, Bulla Gastrobar, Black Bean Deli, Agave Azul, Foxtail Coffee, BurgerFi, Reel Fish Coastal Kitchen, The Porch, Fiddler's Green, Ravenous Pig, Umi, Sushi Pop, blu on the avenue, the Wine Room, Cocina 214, Bosphorous, Prato, Tabla Indian, Siam Garden Thai, Briarpatch, Orchid Thai, Boca, George's Cafe, Armando's, The Coop, 4 Rivers, Pepe's Cantina, Chez Vincent, 310 Park South, Cafe de France, Grato, Croissant Gourmet Bakery, Rome's Flavors, Braccia Ristorante, Hunger Street Tacos, Hamilton's Kitchen, Bolay, Tijuana Flats, Tibby's...and this is just in Maitland and Winter Park. Then you have College Park, Lake Ivanhoe, Audubon Park, Baldwin Park, Downtown Orlando, Winter Garden, SODO, Thornton Park, Dr Phillips/Restaurant Row and others that have additional local restaurants as well to check out before you hit the restaurants at Disney, the convention center, and Universal.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Stating that Orlando still skews heavy in favor of chains and theme park/concession fare is a false statement that describes Orlando from the 90's. I'll list some restaurants to check out the next time you are in town including Francesco's, Luke's, Houndstooth, Outpost, Sanford Brewing Company, Teak, Boku, Jeremiah's, Antonio's, Brick & Spoon, First Watch, Dexter's, Bento, Sakari Sushi, Hangry Bison, Hillstone, Sixty Vines, Glass Knife, Rocco's, Bulla Gastrobar, Black Bean Deli, Agave Azul, Foxtail Coffee, BurgerFi, Reel Fish Coastal Kitchen, The Porch, Fiddler's Green, Ravenous Pig, Umi, Sushi Pop, blu on the avenue, the Wine Room, Cocina 214, Bosphorous, Prato, Tabla Indian, Siam Garden Thai, Briarpatch, Orchid Thai, Boca, George's Cafe, Armando's, The Coop, 4 Rivers, Pepe's Cantina, Chez Vincent, 310 Park South, Cafe de France, Grato, Croissant Gourmet Bakery, Rome's Flavors, Braccia Ristorante, Hunger Street Tacos, Hamilton's Kitchen, Bolay, Tijuana Flats, Tibby's...and this is just in Maitland and Winter Park. Then you have College Park, Lake Ivanhoe, Audubon Park, Baldwin Park, Downtown Orlando, Winter Garden, SODO, Thornton Park, Dr Phillips/Restaurant Row and others that have additional local restaurants as well to check out before you hit the restaurants at Disney, the convention center, and Universal.
It's not totally false, having driven around Orlando pretty frequently (including up to Winter Park). There are absolutely neighborhoods with an interesting collection of places, then there are large pockets where the gems are more sparse.

As someone used to what NYC, Philly, SF, and LA have to offer, there's so much to tap into in any 15-20 minute radius. That includes walking in each instance, LA aside (although it has its neighborhoods that would qualify). In Orlando, there are large pockets where 15-20 minutes in any direction, you're going to run into countless Outbacks, Bonefish Grills, Carrabba's, etc.

Yes, it's changing, but this remains the feeling for many coming from other cities. Especially those planning around proximity to the theme parks, Maitland and Winter Park are a bit more of a stretch; you can have your theme park bubble or proximity to amazing local offerings, but asking for both is still a reach.

The problem with Disney's restaurants, as much as I love them, is their price point. The food just isn't worth it for what you pay. If you're willing to put that aside for a holiday, fine, but people expecting reasonable prices and the quality of a signature are going to be let down. That would include many making the move from LA, although I guess they'll have CM discounts to tap into, should they choose to frequent the bubble.

Finally, thank you for the list of spots! I'm actually going to look them all up and bookmark the ones that speak to me - Ravenous Pig is absolutely one I've enjoyed, and I stopped by the Glass Knife to pick up pastries for someone else on my last visit (not for me, darn keto, but everything looked amazing). I really like Winter Park from what I've seen of it - the only con is that the drive to & from the bubble is a bit longer. Put that aside, and what's there is top-notch.

Last edited:

scottb411

It's not totally false, having driven around Orlando pretty frequently (including up to Winter Park). There are absolutely neighborhoods with an interesting collection of places, then there are large pockets where the gems are more sparse.

As someone used to what NYC, Philly, SF, and LA have to offer, there's so much to tap into in any 15-20 minute radius. That includes walking in each instance, LA aside (although it has its neighborhoods that would qualify). In Orlando, there are large pockets where 15-20 minutes in any direction, you're going to run into countless Outbacks, Bonefish Grills, Carrabba's, etc.

Yes, it's changing, but this remains the feeling for many coming from other cities. Especially those planning around proximity to the theme parks, Maitland and Winter Park are a bit more of a stretch; you can have your theme park bubble or proximity to amazing local offerings, but asking for both is still a reach.

The problem with Disney's restaurants, as much as I love them, is their price point. The food just isn't worth it for what you pay. If you're willing to put that aside for a holiday, fine, but people expecting reasonable prices and the quality of a signature are going to be let down. That would include many making the move from LA, although I guess they'll have CM discounts to tap into, should they choose to frequent the bubble.

Finally, thank you for the list of spots! I'm actually going to look them all up and bookmark the ones that speak to me - Ravenous Pig is absolutely one I've enjoyed, and I stopped by the Glass Knife to pick up pastries for someone else on my last visit (not for me, darn keto, but everything looked amazing). I really like Winter Park from what I've seen of it - the only con is that the drive to & from the bubble is a bit longer. Put that aside, and what's there is top-notch.
Yes, the suburbs of Orlando look like a lot of other suburbs that I have driven through including Chicago's northern side with a lot of chain restaurants but those are places I just don't go to unless I have to. Living in Orlando, there are a lot of places where you can take day trips that also have their gems (ie. Mount Dora, Downtown Deland, Downtown Sanford, New Smyrna Beach, Downtown Ormond Beach, Cocoa historic downtown, and the places already mentioned). In your other post, you asked about food halls. Winter Garden probably has the best food hall in the city on Plant Street and Lake Nona has a good one as well (although not technically a food hall) in Boxi Park. Audubon Park has one where Gideon's (sister restaurant to the one at Disney Springs) is at and Lake Ivanhoe is getting one in a few months and Downtown Orlando in 2022 on Church Street. If I were moving to Orlando to work around Disney-proper, I would definitely check out Winter Garden and their historic downtown on Plant Street. For working in Lake Nona, you can live around the 417 highway around Winter Park and get to Lake Nona in about 20 minutes (tolls) while living close enough to be near Winter Park as well (Tuskawilla Road in Oviedo). The area immediately around here is chains I'll admit but a short drive to Winter Park. Lake Nona is exploding right now and will only continue to do so in the next few years so that is going to make a lot of sense for Work/Live/Play. There is also Avalon Park nearby Lake Nona that has a similar look and feel to Celebration and everyone I know that has lived there for several years likes it there.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
East End Market near Downtown Orlando but it is nowhere like to the scale of NYC, LA, SF food halls and quality. CA transplants moving to Central Florida will probably be disappointed but Orlando is at least trying.
Several of the Californians I've met that have moved to Miami - Florida's most cosmopolitan city in a metro area of over 6 million - have complained about the lack of offerings in this city.

If that's anything to go by, they'll hate Orlando.

scottb411

Several of the Californians I've met that have moved to Miami - Florida's most cosmopolitan city in a metro area of over 6 million - have complained about the lack of offerings in this city.

If that's anything to go by, they'll hate Orlando.
Miami is very different than Orlando in a lot of ways and most of the people that I know that have moved to Orlando from Miami have said that they like it a lot better in Orlando and they would never move back. Traffic is their biggest gripe with Miami. I grew up in Tampa and like it in Orlando a lot better as well. I wouldn't automatically assume that they'll hate Orlando because they don't like Miami. The one area of concern that I've heard from people that I've known from California that compares to what they would miss the most would be how close that they are to the beach in California and that they can head out to the beach in the afternoon and go surfing. It's going to be an hours drive from Lake Nona to reach the nearest beach (Cocoa Beach) so that is something to think about.

When you say lack of offerings in Miami, what do they mean by that and do they know that we have swans?

Last edited:

Lilofan

Thai Thani on I-Drive a few miles from Dr Phillips while fancy has very small portion offerings. The pad Thai was OK, but Miami Thai options are better. TT in the past has been written up numerous times in the Orlando papers for health code violations rat droppings in kitchen, roaches, improper food temps etc. Bosphorous for Turkish food is OK but nothing like NYC quality. Downtown Orlando is nice but can get seedy at night including the many homeless in the area . The " NY Style Pizza " advertised in downtown O-Town is trash.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You have chains in your list.

Sir_Cliff

What? I didn't say it was my idea. But when a company shifts to another location, many times it gives them the opportunity to start fresh. Hire a lot of new people to replace those that didn't make the move, which brings in new ideas (hopefully). And let's not pretend that Disney (or any company) doesn't have dead weight. I also imagine they are likely to lose some good minds as well...
Sure, but isn't something like WDI fairly specialised? People often talk about employees as more or less interchangeable, but I do think in this case there is some risk moving a creative/entertainment division from one of the world's biggest creative and entertainment hubs that they'll lose some of that talent. Of course, maybe this will be part of a process in which those who work on theme park entertainment are increasingly (and somewhat logically) located in the city that is the world's biggest theme park hub. To the extent it happens anymore, though, it could make cross pollination between different creative fields more difficult.

Maybe this is a naive question based on just looking at the map, but is the proximity of Lake Nona to the airport an issue? Normally people don't like to live near busy airports, though maybe this is not as close as it appears.

Lilofan

Sure, but isn't something like WDI fairly specialised? People often talk about employees as more or less interchangeable, but I do think in this case there is some risk moving a creative/entertainment division from one of the world's biggest creative and entertainment hubs that they'll lose some of that talent. Of course, maybe this will be part of a process in which those who work on theme park entertainment are increasingly (and somewhat logically) located in the city that is the world's biggest theme park hub. To the extent it happens anymore, it could make cross pollination between different creative fields more difficult.

Maybe this is a naive question based on just looking at the map, but is the proximity of Lake Nona to the airport an issue? Normally people don't like to live near busy airports, though maybe this is not as close as it appears.
If you've ever been Lake Nona is just a few miles from the airport runways at MCO. Need to get used to the jet engines day and night .

lazyboy97o

Sure, but isn't something like WDI fairly specialised? People often talk about employees as more or less interchangeable, but I do think in this case there is some risk moving a creative/entertainment division from one of the world's biggest creative and entertainment hubs that they'll lose some of that talent. Of course, maybe this will be part of a process in which those who work on theme park entertainment are increasingly (and somewhat logically) located in the city that is the world's biggest theme park hub. To the extent it happens anymore, though, it could make cross pollination between different creative fields more difficult.
Orlando isn’t without an established themed entertainment design industry. There is already the Walt Disney Imagineering Field Office at Epcot that has grown in recent years. Universal Creative has been based in Orlando for awhile now and people relocated to work on Universal Studios Beijing and Epic Universe. Companies like ITEC Entertainment, Nassal, Birket Engineering and Oceaneering Entertainment are based in Orlando and others have offices there as well. IAAPA moved their headquarters to Orlando not long ago. Southern California is definitely a larger talent pool but a lot of that was driven by Disney, so it’ll be interesting to see how many companies follow Disney by at least opening an office.

Do you think Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure or Velocicoaster would be better in some way had they been designed in California instead of Florida?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom