Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully, the Discovery CEO saying "We're not done yet" indicates Disney will consider buying the company or at least some assets for $100 billion

Looks like Disney wanted to buy Warner Bros. just like good old times as Disney tries to buy Warner Bros. between early 2000s and 2016.🤣

brodie999

Looks like Disney wanted to buy Warner Bros. just like good old times as Disney tries to buy Warner Bros. between early 2000s and 2016.🤣
Yeah, but this time it seems inevitable. I'm hoping having WarnerDiscovery will help Disney branch out even more and maybe use HBO Max as the other outlet for R-Rated material. Some of my friends think it'll be announced in October and November. I'm also rooting for Sony to be bought by Disney, so we can have the whole Spider-Verse back. Maybe they'll buy them both because reviews do nothing. Companies are the ones who will always win it out.

seascape

Seems like Comcast will buy ViacomCBS. I'm betting we may see Apple buying Sony.
Comcast could never get approval to buy ViacomCBS unless they sold NBCUNIVERSAL. Now there is a rumor that Discovery would like to buy NBCUNIVERSAL. So who know maybe both can happen but no way can Comcast but without selling too.

Update after Biden's statement. President Biden not only wants to crackdown on merger, putting more opposition to any proposed mergers either Disney or Universal want but he specifically said internet service costs are too high. That puts more pressure on Comcast, as lower prices mean lower profits.

Last edited:

brodie999

I'd hate to break it to you, but Disney isn't really a tech company. I don't think the order will apply to them. They'll be allowed more mergers if they want to.

seascape

I'd hate to break it to you, but Disney isn't really a tech company. I don't think the order will apply to them. They'll be allowed more mergers if they want to.
Disney will not be allowed to buy another US based movie studio. They would be allowed to buy a foreign studio, which would help meet their foreign production quotas, or they could also buy another themepark company. Comcast on the otherhand is on the President's radar because they are the largest high speed Internet Provider in the US.

Disney will not be allowed to buy another US based movie studio. They would be allowed to buy a foreign studio, which would help meet their foreign production quotas, or they could also buy another themepark company. Comcast on the otherhand is on the President's radar because they are the largest high speed Internet Provider in the US.
Disney likely won’t even attempt to buy another domestic studio for another few years. They don’t need to as they’ve already achieved the scale needed to be a dominant streaming presence. And while this action by Biden might scare off any mergers in the short term, eventually a new admin will be in place that is more favorable where Disney will pounce. They will have recovered from the pandemic by then and be a ~100b revenue company and in a good spot to expand.

Comcast meanwhile is in a pretty bad spot. They can’t achieve any sort of scale in streaming. Nobody cares about peacock. They absolutely need another major content powerhouse like Viacom but their efforts to do so might be on hold now, and their 100 billion in debt makes things a bit harder to. I could actually see them do what AT&T did and spin off or sell NBCU. It could fetch 80-100b on the market and might be the smartest move as they are not close to being a streaming power and likely won’t ever get there.
As for what Disney can do now…I agree they should probably buy a foreign studio. Maybe something in Korea/Japan or in the UK/France.

Darkprime

Original Poster
The only purchase I can see Disney making in the future is that of the Spider-Man IP. If Sony ever decides to sell it for some reason. Such a deal would not require government approval. If they try and buy the entire SPE studio on the other hand then yea that would require government approval.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Slpy3270

No talk of Disney as a buyer but Imagine have made some Disney content including the genius series on Disney plus
Wouldn't make any sense for any major studio to buy it if there's no library to come with it. This is Grazer and Howard trying to cash in before they inevitably retire.

Disney is not mentioned as a buyer because people don’t think they’ll legally allowed to after Fox. Many people assume Fox was bought in its entirety. Disney purchased certain assets. That left them with the ability to buy more - which they certainly will in the years to come.
I think it’ll be either Warner or Sony Entertainment.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Disney is not mentioned as a buyer because people don’t think they’ll legally allowed to after Fox. Many people assume Fox was bought in its entirety. Disney purchased certain assets. That left them with the ability to buy more - which they certainly will in the years to come.
I think it’ll be either Warner or Sony Entertainment.
Most likely Warner Bros. because back in 2016 as Disney tries to buy Warner Bros. but it's too late as they are about to buy Fox soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tom Holland and Kumail Nanjiani attended the Suicide Squad premiere. Maybe they were there to support their fellow Marvel stars. https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-tom-holland-kumail-nanjiani-dc-suicide-squad-premiere/
Not sure what you're insinuating by posting this here, but its not uncommon to see actors from all sorts of franchises that compete attending each others premiere events. Its the "Hollywood" thing to do for actors to support each others projects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom