Breaking Points

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think I can speak for a few of us when I say we’ve been pretty disappointed with how the DLR has been managed over the years. Pirates’ auction scene change, Pixar Pier, Guardians, Splash, lack of quality with Avengers Campus, SW:GE (I’m aware I’m in the minority here), etc. And now there’s a rumor that DLP’s Premiere Pass thingy may be coming here, which is gross.

I realized that I hit my breaking point a few years ago. By that, I mean I’ve scaled back my visits significantly and have prioritized doing other things. I went once in 2020 and before that, I went once or twice in 2019, and now I currently have no desire to return anytime soon, not even next year. A breaking point doesn’t have to equate to never returning again, though if that Premiere stuff comes here, I for sure won’t be returning on my own will for a long time. A breaking point in this case could mean a significant change in how frequently you visit the parks due to whatever disappointment you have with the parks.

To those who have been disappointed and have yet to hit their breaking point, what will it take for that to happen? Or maybe nothing will get you to scale back your visits.

Share your thoughts.

SuddenStorm

I realized this last year that none of the new announcements for Disneyland excite me. None of the new attractions, events, food, merchandise.

Splash Mountain and the original Fantasmic was the main reason I would go to the park- In the past I would never schedule a trip if Splash was closed (unless it was for refurbishment and I had an AP), and would intentionally go on days Fantasmic was showing.

Fantasmic has been gone for about five years, and Splash is on its way out. I anticipate future visits for me to be based around refurbishments- if Indy gets some money put into it I'd go see it for example.

BasiltheBatLord

It started with GotG but the Splash change was what really made me take a step back and re-evaluate my relationship with Disney. Everything after has been confirmation.

For what it's worth that "re-evaluation" was partly of myself too. Realizing that if a theme park attraction being closed impacts me this much then that's a sign that I'm way too emotionally invested in something which at the end of the day isn't really that important in life.

I used to go to Disneyland about once a year but it's probably going to be once every couple years now (like WDW).

Rich T

My interest in Disney started plummeting around the time Iger’s love and devotion to the shiny, pretty IPs he purchased steamrolled over any interest in actual “Disney” creations—combined with his ban on anything new or origjnal.

And now, between Garbage Pier, Galaxy’s Eyesore, Garbage Campus and the continued wimpification of rides like Pirates and Snow White AND the increased trend of making the parks into phone-tethered playgrounds for wealthy instagramming adult children with bottomless bank accounts and an endless appetite for overpriced cupcakes...I am done for now.

There’s so much *genuinely* creative awesomeness in the world to appreciate and support, and that’s where I’ll take my leisure dollars. Bobs-Disney can take its “magical enchanted dream wish” of boarding passes, upcharges and rides designed to be toy commercials and take a flying leap into a giant vat of sparkly, hypocrisy-flavored cupcake batter.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think I can speak for a few of us when I say we’ve been pretty disappointed with how the DLR has been managed over the years. Pirates’ auction scene change, Pixar Pier, Guardians, Splash, lack of quality with Avengers Campus, SW:GE (I’m aware I’m in the minority here), etc. And now there’s a rumor that DLP’s Premiere Pass thingy may be coming here, which is gross.

I realized that I hit my breaking point a few years ago. By that, I mean I’ve scaled back my visits significantly and have prioritized doing other things. I went once in 2020 and before that, I went once or twice in 2019, and now I currently have no desire to return anytime soon, not even next year. A breaking point doesn’t have to equate to never returning again, though if that Premiere stuff comes here, I for sure won’t be returning on my own will for a long time. A breaking point in this case could mean a significant change in how frequently you visit the parks due to whatever disappointment you have with the parks.

To those who have been disappointed and have yet to hit their breaking point, what will it take for that to happen? Or maybe nothing will get you to scale back your visits.

Share your thoughts.
Very good topic. Yeah I would hate for that DLP Premiere Pass to come here. My breaking point would be if they ever got rid of for good Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. That would be unforgiveable to me and I would never return. I don't like a lot of the changes but since I already don't go that often I CAN live with them for a yearly visit or so but once you start removing cornerstones of the park, yeah I am done.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't think anything they do is good anymore for the most part, but I've made that pretty clear, I hope. But it's like I have a form of Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to these theme parks for babies with spookhouse rides and costumed freaks. I just keep going back and putting up with the abuse, even paying absurd prices for limited offerings like an idiot.

Sailor310

I don't really have a breaking point. I burned out after years of APs- from the crowds. Went only infrequently unless some friends were going. Even now I probably would spent $100 just for a ride on the train and a Dole whip. GRR on a hot day would just be a bonus.

SplashGhost

I haven't like most of the recent changes to the parks, at least Guardians is fun even if Tower of Terror was a drastically better thematic experience. Incredicoaster is just insulting, and the change to the Pirates auction scene is laughably bad at best. I haven't been on Rise yet thanks to boarding passes, but I might like that. The changes to the Rivers of America were nice, so it isn't all bad. I haven't been on the new version of Snow White, but it looks really boring and dull. Overall, I would say things are a mixed bag with the bad greatly outweighing the good, so the more changes that come to the parks, the worse the overall experience will be and the more I might actually reach a true permanent breaking point.

Homemade Imagineering

The COMPLETE removal of HM, PotC, or IASW, would be my breaking point, at which point I’d stop visiting or caring about the parks, possibly even refusing to visit with friends because I’d be so disgusted. That’s the absolute worst case scenario for me.

I think I’ve already reached a point where I’ve been visiting USH way more than DLR in the past two years, after my AP expired and prices continued to rise. With this new FP system in Paris, rumored to come here, I can’t say I’m dying to return if that comes to fruition domestically.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I realized this last year that none of the new announcements for Disneyland excite me. None of the new attractions, events, food, merchandise.

Splash Mountain and the original Fantasmic was the main reason I would go to the park- In the past I would never schedule a trip if Splash was closed (unless it was for refurbishment and I had an AP), and would intentionally go on days Fantasmic was showing.

Fantasmic has been gone for about five years, and Splash is on its way out. I anticipate future visits for me to be based around refurbishments- if Indy gets some money put into it I'd go see it for example.
Has Fantasmic! really been gone that long?? Why????

Practical Pig

My interest in Disney started plummeting around the time Iger’s love and devotion to the shiny, pretty IPs he purchased steamrolled over any interest in actual “Disney” creations—combined with his ban on anything new or origjnal.

And now, between Garbage Pier, Galaxy’s Eyesore, Garbage Campus and the continued wimpification of rides like Pirates and Snow White AND the increased trend of making the parks into phone-tethered playgrounds for wealthy instagramming adult children with bottomless bank accounts and an endless appetite for overpriced cupcakes...I am done for now.

There’s so much *genuinely* creative awesomeness in the world to appreciate and support, and that’s where I’ll take my leisure dollars. Bobs-Disney can take its “magical enchanted dream wish” of boarding passes, upcharges and rides designed to be toy commercials and take a flying leap into a giant vat of hypocrisy-flavored cupcake batter.
Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think. 🤣

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

There’s so much *genuinely* creative awesomeness in the world to appreciate and support, and that’s where I’ll take my leisure dollars. Bobs-Disney can take its “magical enchanted dream wish” of boarding passes, upcharges and rides designed to be toy commercials and take a flying leap into a giant vat of hypocrisy-flavored cupcake batter.
Damn. Well said.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
For what it's worth that "re-evaluation" was partly of myself too. Realizing that if a theme park attraction being closed impacts me this much then that's a sign that I'm way too emotionally invested in something which at the end of the day isn't really that important in life.
I had the exact same experience. I found myself getting incredibly angry and had to take a step back and realize how ridiculous I was acting. I was ed about things like a petting zoo in a theme park going away… Wut?

Something like that is not worth me getting that upset over it.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The COMPLETE removal of HM, PotC, or IASW, would be my breaking point, at which point I’d stop visiting or caring about the parks, possibly even refusing to visit with friends because I’d be so disgusted. That’s the absolute worst case scenario for me.
I don’t think anyone should expect for these rides to stick around forever. Anything can and will be axed if Disney sees fit, even classics.

mickEblu

For me it might just be death by a thousand paper cuts and not just necessarily one thing they can do. I’ll make a short list off the top of my head …

- TOT removed for GOTG
- Pixar Pier
- Avengers Campus
- Splash removed for PatF
- Project Stardust
- Rivers of America reroute
- New Big Thunder Trail
- Galaxies Edge
- Fantasmic 2.0
- Mickey’s Mix Magic
- Horrid POTC auction scene
- “Inclusion” changes in general like removing “ladies and gentlemen…”
- The mobile phone onslaught
- The TL neglect while billions of dollars are spent around the resort
(Although I’m ok waiting until Chapek is gone)
- Rumored premier pass/ standby pass coming

I’m sure I’m missing a few. Now I’ll acknowledge that some of what I listed was necessary to an extent like Project Stardust. Of course not everything on this list is completely bad. If something made this list it’s because it was better before or what was replaced felt more like Disneyland/ a Disney park. Or it’s on the list because of the potential for the IP or real estate lost and not meeting the high expectations.

Now all they have to do is ruin NOS’s intimacy by connecting it to a new land to the West for Disney Forward, kill off Splash, try and ultimately fail to fix TL, get rid of the lagoon, Autopia and all the trees for a Frozen ride and restaurant and lastly remove the “waste of space” that is Storybookland and the destruction of DL will be complete. Oh yeah for good measure they should include as many future HM movie tie ins into the ride as possible. And who knows with the “ladies and gentlemen” non sense maybe Mickey Avenue taking over Main Street isn’t that far fetched.

My Breaking point I think is now. Between the cancel culture stuff and the fact that they feel they have carte blanch to do whatever they want because of the pandemic it’s been a $hitty year.

Not to mention there is no new project to keep my interest at all. We had GE construction to follow and that was a let down. Then AC and that was a letdown. Don’t get me started on GOTG and Pixar Pier. MMRR we already know what its going to be since it opened at WDW first. Every blog, every rumor every bit of news is bad news these days. Just over it. I don’t think I’ll be buying a membership. I’m paying for 3 people, soon to be 4 and it just doesn’t feel like it’s worth it right now. This company is legitimately making me angry right now and I feel like they ve drifted so far from Walts Disneyland and the place that I fell in love with.

Last edited:

waltography

I'm gonna guess that my breaking point will probably be whatever excuse of an AP they'll give us at the end of the year. I have no trust that the new AP will actually be worth the money they'll charge and that'll be the end of that.

Practical Pig

The DLP Premier Pass coming to DLR would absolutely be a breaking point for me. We are occasional tourists and I can afford the occasional bilking uncharges in addition to park admission$$$ to join queues that may be artificially restricted to drive uncharges. But I find it far too offensive to reward.

I'll echo the general consensus about the IP infestation, the lackluster new offerings, the botched opportunities like the auction scene redo in POTC, the wretched tot-popped re-skinned Incredicoaster, the general disappointing diminishment of the experience, and the forcing guests to experience their phones instead the ambiance of the remaining bones of Walt's Park.

But the bald-faced naked cynical money-grabbing direction they're heading with this Premier Pass thing (if true) and the expensive toy sales to be able to get the full experience of a ride makes it a breaking point.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
The numerous eye rolling changes to POTC and now the Jungle Cruise. Constance in HM. Mutilating ToT for Mission: Dumpster Dive. Pixar Paintjob. Don’t even have to mention the Splash Mountain fiasco or the obnoxious changes to appeal to mentally ill groups.

Everything else is small potatoes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom