Is there a darker coaster than Space Mountain?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Honest question, because in my experience I will say no.

I think Space Mountain more than any other dark coaster in my life is the most pitch black one possible. I have been on the ones that are in the dark and there is always a tinge of light where you can see what is coming up, or if the track takes a loop or a dip or turn, etc. Here are some examples:

Flight of Fear at King's Island. Definitely in the dark, and it loops you upside down several times (it is one of those upside down coasters that only has the restraints around the legs because you loop so quickly). But I could see with some faint light the track ahead of time.

Exterminator at Kennywood. Again, its dark, but not dark enough. You can definitely see what is coming.

These are just examples. None are as dark as Space Mountain which to me is the ride that has the least amount of light I have personally ever been on. Save for a haunted house that is pitch black that you walk through.

Any thoughts?

Heppenheimer

I don't remember the name, but there was a dark coaster at the now-closed Opreyland in Nashville. In my memory, it wasn't as dark as Space Mountain.

JIMINYCR

Cant think of any darker ones that I've ever been on. Unless closing my eyes on some when I was younger counts. :D:D The darker the ride the better which adds to the thrill. EE and RnRC has some dark moments but not for long.

jeanericuser001

Disaster Transport at Cedar Point comes to mind. You can look up video of it but after the ride starts mostly what you will see is a couple lights at the start and then darkness for most of the ride. That ride was pretty freaky for me as I could see literally nothing at all the whole time. Im not even sure if I went upside down or not. Anything could have happened around me and all I saw was nothing.

Heppenheimer

If we're considering rides that are only partially dark, There's a small portion of the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens that runs through a cave.

Oh, the Phoenix at Knoebels starts off in a pitch-black tunnel.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'd say The Dark Knight Coasters at the Six Flags parka does give moments of pitch black but, it does have lit scenery and the haunting voice of Heath Ledger chasing after you..And it's your standard wild mouse In a box..

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I thought Space Mountain was as dark as you can get with indoor coasters?

That is what I am thinking as well. There are definitely brief parts of rides that have the same dark feeling. Heck, I think Pirates is awfully dark when you are dropping a few feet on that dip. But for what is basically the entirety of the ride, I don't think anything is darker than Space. Even looking up and seeing the stars, all it does it make you think you are in an even darker place.

Disaster Transport at Cedar Point comes to mind. You can look up video of it but after the ride starts mostly what you will see is a couple lights at the start and then darkness for most of the ride. That ride was pretty freaky for me as I could see literally nothing at all the whole time. Im not even sure if I went upside down or not. Anything could have happened around me and all I saw was nothing.

Ah yes, that's the name! Yeah, they replaced it a few years back as well. In 2012 it closed. I went on that as well. In my personal opinion, I can remember going on it in 2010 and this was with Space Mountain very fresh in my memory from a few months earlier (I had gone on Space other times prior to this too) and I remember thinking at that time that Space was darker. Disaster still had a bit of "Oh, I can see that coming up" type of thing with the track. Still a great ride though.

Smiley/OCD

I know it's not a coaster, but when we went in May, and there wasn't a pre show for your eyes to adjust, the HM was pretty dark...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom