The Sunpass Thread (FL Toll Roads)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just a heads up, as of late last week, EZ Pass is accepted on all Florida toll roads. Previously it was only accepted on Orlando area toll roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article251748223.html

SunPass toll network adds E-ZPass and its users in 16 other states​

Florida is offering motorists a new transponder compatible with the E-ZPass toll system used in 16 states on the East Coast and in the Midwest, including New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts.

Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise also announced that E-ZPass customers in other states will be able to use their transponders along the nearly 900 miles of toll roads in Florida.
“Florida’s partnership with E-ZPass is the next critical step toward national interoperability, creating seamless transportation options for Florida residents and visitors alike,” Department of Transportation Secretary Kevin Thibault said in a statement.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Great news! We have a SunPass, TxTag and EZ-Pass on one of our vehicles. We've just added an EZ-Pass for our new car, so good to know that we won't need a new SunPass.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Now they just have to update the signage on 417....

Across the entire state really. I've seen the EZ-Pass sign only on a handful of FDOT roads, and I've had 3 in-state road trips since EZ-Pass became accepted in Florida.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Across the entire state really. I've seen the EZ-Pass sign only on a handful of FDOT roads, and I've had 3 in-state road trips since EZ-Pass became accepted in Florida.
It's one thing I just don't understand about Florida Toll Roads, the mix of different branding for toll transponders. Sun Pass, E-Pass, O-Pass. Each agency uses their own branding, with no information on interoperability.

If EZ-Pass is the de-facto standard going forward, everyone should change their branding to match once they're on board with it, to eliminate confusion.

(Of course being from NJ (NYC Tri-State) we've been using Ez-pass since the mid 90's and don't know anything else, so maybe I'm spoiled)

Clamman73

Now they just have to update the signage on 417....
I’m probably driving down again this fall (cause rental car prices) and it would make things a whole lot easier…last year my parents let me borrow a florida pass that could be used on my vehicle, but this year if I can just use my EZ pass when coming down 417 off of I-4 all the way to Osceola or World Center Dr would be nice…and I don’t have to have my little baggie of quarters and dollar bills handy.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
If EZ-Pass is the de-facto standard going forward
In Florida it isn't. It's just another payment option for tolls. Like a business that accepts Visa/MC, Amex, Discover, etc.

But the signage should reflect it. So far I've only seen the signage on some Orlando toll roads, a single Miami toll road, and across Florida's Turnpike. I think also on the Sunshine Skyway, but I'm not 100% certain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's one thing I just don't understand about Florida Toll Roads, the mix of different branding for toll transponders. Sun Pass, E-Pass, O-Pass. Each agency uses their own branding, with no information on interoperability.

If EZ-Pass is the de-facto standard going forward, everyone should change their branding to match once they're on board with it, to eliminate confusion.

(Of course being from NJ (NYC Tri-State) we've been using Ez-pass since the mid 90's and don't know anything else, so maybe I'm spoiled)

Exactly what happened in MD and VA... once the EZ-pass coalition came into being... our toll collection all changed over to the EZ-pass branding. But we have far fewer toll authorities here. VA had like 4 toll roads total.. and MD was slow to join EZ pass. And even when they did, they had their own rules on costs, etc. Luckily over time they've finally gotten smart and dropped most of their crap ideas.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Exactly what happened in MD and VA... once the EZ-pass coalition came into being... our toll collection all changed over to the EZ-pass branding. But we have far fewer toll authorities here. VA had like 4 toll roads total.. and MD was slow to join EZ pass. And even when they did, they had their own rules on costs, etc. Luckily over time they've finally gotten smart and dropped most of their crap ideas.
Yeah, here in Florida we have 3 different toll collection systems (Sunpass, E-Pass, Lessway) that are all interoperable with each other, and easily over 10 different expressway authorities who collect their own tolls.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, here in Florida we have 3 different toll collection systems (Sunpass, E-Pass, Lessway) that are all interoperable with each other, and easily over 10 different expressway authorities who collect their own tolls.

Some examples of previously bad ideas...
- making people pay for transponders unless they met a minimum spending limit each period

Covid has accellerated the push to zero cash tolls too. They emptied all the human collectors here locally during covid, and just aren't bringing them back at all. So it's EZpass, credit, or get bent :)

All photo tolling (without exorbitant fees...) hasn't made it here yet.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Covid has accellerated the push to zero cash tolls too. They emptied all the human collectors here locally during covid, and just aren't bringing them back at all. So it's EZpass, credit, or get bent :)

Zero cash tolls here as well.

Beacon Joe

Had our Sun Pass in the window and was surprised to see the EZPass logo up on 417... now waiting to see if the sensor pinged the EZ Pass that was sitting in the console and we get double-charged. o_O

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
And, for those SunPass account holders in the NorthEast, if you upgrade your transponder to the PRO version (suction cup puck), you can use your SunPass transponder on E-ZPass roads, meaning you don't have to pay that monthly account fee like Ohio, PA, NJ, MD and everyone else on E-ZPass does. At $3 per month, you're saving money after 5 months.

Toll-by-plate also works (at least in Pennsylvania). I had a PA toll booth charge show up on my SunPass bill this month!
Had our Sun Pass in the window and was surprised to see the EZPass logo up on 417... now waiting to see if the sensor pinged the EZ Pass that was sitting in the console and we get double-charged. o_O
That's why they suggest you put your transponder in the metallized plastic bag when not in use, to prevent being pinged when you don't want it to be.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's why they suggest you put your transponder in the metallized plastic bag when not in use, to prevent being pinged when you don't want it to be.

I have the metallized bag for when I use the I-95 express lanes, since one of my cars is an exempt vehicle.

Rob562

And, for those SunPass account holders in the NorthEast, if you upgrade your transponder to the PRO version (suction cup puck), you can use your SunPass transponder on E-ZPass roads, meaning you don't have to pay that monthly account fee like Ohio, PA, NJ, MD and everyone else on E-ZPass does. At $3 per month, you're saving money after 5 months.

Toll-by-plate also works (at least in Pennsylvania). I had a PA toll booth charge show up on my SunPass bill this month!

If anyone is looking for a fee-free EZPass transponder, get one from Massachusetts. Free initial transponder, no monthly maintenance fees.

-Rob

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
If anyone is looking for a fee-free EZPass transponder, get one from Massachusetts. Free initial transponder, no monthly maintenance fees.

-Rob

That's the one I used for out of state road trips before Uni and Sunpass Pro became a thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom