Trouble in paradise officially?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In a free society it is the individuals responsibility to get themselves out of poverty by getting an eduction, getting a marketable skill, not having kids you can't afford etc. No one is keeping anyone below the poverty level. Taking money from one group and giving it to another or artificially rising salaries is not the answer. Since the inception of the "Great Society" under Johnson we have spent trillions of dollars on poverty and have not reduced poverty by one iota.

and you know the counter to that...so we’ll keep spinning

unmitigated disaster

In a free society it is the individuals responsibility to get themselves out of poverty by getting an eduction, getting a marketable skill, not having kids you can't afford etc. No one is keeping anyone below the poverty level. Taking money from one group and giving it to another or artificially rising salaries is not the answer. Since the inception of the "Great Society" under Johnson we have spent trillions of dollars on poverty and have not reduced poverty by one iota.
"Artificially raising wages"? Lordy.

Everyone can't be a doctor, lawyer, etc. Someone has to work retail, service and hospitality jobs. You think that's what teens are for? Say goodbye to fast food for breakfast and lunch during the school year. Retail stores? Open Monday through Friday roughly 4 to 9 PM, with longer weekend hours. Hospitality? No night auditors. No night housekeeping. No morning housekeeping, either. Welcome to 9 PM check ins. Oh, and grocery stores. Meh. Again, Monday through Friday about 4 to 9. Maybe 10 depending on labor laws.

disneyfreak0710

And only privileged people can actually make a comment like this and believe it, especially that it's that easy.

disneyfreak0710

Granted polling a few people is not the same as polling everyone and we've all see the crowds and the people who buy into everything.

Obviously late to this, but... I can absolutely believe this. I mean, just as a small observation, for starters being middle class ourselves, yes, we are very close to being priced out of Disney. And out of our friends and family, or even just people that we know loosely, only a couple will go to Disney. The rest choose to vacation basically anywhere but, lol, but especially Europe, South America, or the Caribbean etc... Some choose that because they'd rather just see the real world, rather than an "artificial world", but some just because they said that Disney is just too expensive for what you get. They feel they get more for their money elsewhere.

As far as whether it signals "trouble in paradise"... I'm honestly not sure. I mean, sure, on one hand it's easy to say if you price out the market with the biggest interest, you're in trouble. But, if you raise your prices enough, and can get enough of the other market to compensate... you're fine. And I suspect that's what Disney is going. It makes sense: they still earn the same amount of money, while taking care of the overcrowding issues that everyone complains about.

Lilofan

"Artificially raising wages"? Lordy.

Everyone can't be a doctor, lawyer, etc. Someone has to work retail, service and hospitality jobs. You think that's what teens are for? Say goodbye to fast food for breakfast and lunch during the school year. Retail stores? Open Monday through Friday roughly 4 to 9 PM, with longer weekend hours. Hospitality? No night auditors. No night housekeeping. No morning housekeeping, either. Welcome to 9 PM check ins. Oh, and grocery stores. Meh. Again, Monday through Friday about 4 to 9. Maybe 10 depending on labor laws.
Service jobs you say?, some waiters bring home six figures and work less hours per week than the the salary managers that they report to. You may not be aware that an amount managers in the retail, service and tourism sectors came from the hourly ranks through something called promotion from within.

disneyfreak0710

It is not easy, far from it but it can be done. I'm proof of coming from less than ideal conditions.

Absolutely. There are success stories, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Unfortunately there are more people that can't rise above poverty, than can. The reason for that is myriad but not the least of one of those reasons is systemic prejudice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is not easy, far from it but it can be done. I'm proof of coming from less than ideal conditions.

the “anyone can build themselves up” is a great idea in theory...the problem is when you delve into the economics and sociology...it’s blown up due to the stark differences in opportunity that’s attached to who, what and where you are at birth.

anything can be done...but the struggle to get up the hill is almost never equal.

Ive said for years that unless youre in state disney isnt meant to be a yearly trip (though this message board seems to disagree with all you lucky people going often) Its at this point an every 3-5 years park, not just for cost but there are so many other places to see and do. Do disney the right way every few years then enjoy the rest of the world the other years. It will make disney much more special, and they probably wont have added much in that time anyway.

This might work for you, but I'll return yearly, even if it is, according to you, "the wrong way".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ive said for years that unless youre in state disney isnt meant to be a yearly trip (though this message board seems to disagree with all you lucky people going often) Its at this point an every 3-5 years park, not just for cost but there are so many other places to see and do. Do disney the right way every few years then enjoy the rest of the world the other years. It will make disney much more special, and they probably wont have added much in that time anyway.
Reasonable take
This might work for you, but I'll return yearly, even if it is, according to you, "the wrong way".
It wasn’t a personal offense. It’s a tourist spot...not life or death. Relax and enjoy it however you like.

Lilofan

Absolutely. There are success stories, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Unfortunately there are more people that can't rise above poverty, than can. The reason for that is myriad but not the least of one of those reasons is systemic prejudice.
There never was a rule. Your take on more can't raise above poverty is a cop out. Sweat, perseverance, taking risks , surrounding yourself with people smarter than you, putting on your big boy pants, a little luck , thinking out of the box are ways to improve one's situations. There is no guarantee but it is better than being on the sidelines voicing about this and that . If you talk about systemic prejudice, try and see what other countries are going through with their impacted population. It is a lot worse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There never was a rule. Your take on more can't raise above poverty is a cop out. Sweat, perseverance, taking risks , surrounding yourself with people smarter than you, putting on your big boy pants, a little luck , thinking out of the box are ways to improve one's situations. There is no guarantee but it is better than being on the sidelines voicing about this and that . If you talk about systemic prejudice, try and see what other countries are going through with their impacted population. It is a lot worse.
You’re using anecdotal examples to argue what statistically holds...

for a myriad of reasons, circumstances and mistakes...very few born into poverty escape it statistically

Lilofan

You’re using anecdotal examples to argue what statistically holds...

for a myriad of reasons, circumstances and mistakes...very few born into poverty escape it statistically
Using personal examples and choices I've made, I cannot speak on facts and figures. In regards to escaping poverty, believe it or not, some choose to remain in that situation. Some believe living in a safety net of welfare and , heard about it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom