Best for B-days?

The_Jobu

Original Poster
I may be visiting for the 50th, and if I do I will have a chance to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time: visit the parks on the anniversary of my birth.

If it does work out, do you have any recommendations for table-service restaurants that are known to throw in a little Disney magic when they see your birthday pin? Perhaps a complimentary small bowl of assorted fruits or Disney Parks napkin, etc.

No buffets or fine-dining (ie, expensive) places please.

91JLovesDisney

I may be visiting for the 50th, and if I do I will have a chance to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time: visit the parks on the anniversary of my birth.

If it does work out, do you have any recommendations for table-service restaurants that are known to throw in a little Disney magic when they see your birthday pin? Perhaps a complimentary small bowl of assorted fruits or Disney Parks napkin, etc.

No buffets or fine-dining (ie, expensive) places please.
I know what you're talking about, but I couldn't name anything places specifically. If you want a bit of extra Disney magic, I always highly recommend Be Our Guest!! Best restaurant in the parks!

Weather_Lady

Birthday extras are probably more likely to happen at the pricier places -- my daughter received a beautiful signed placemat and free "magic" wand at Cinderella's Royal Table when we dined there on her birthday (with the occasion noted on our reservation), so the advice to choose somewhere like Be Our Guest is well-taken.

Still, it's never guaranteed. I had dinner at Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen on my birthday proper a couple of years ago, and although our server took note of my birthday button and casually said "happy birthday," there were no extras requested, offered or given. In contrast, when we had lunch at ABC Commissary (counter service) in Hollywood Studios, a CM sweetly offered me a free cupcake the moment he glimpsed the birthday button. You just never know.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Basically if you want to ensure extra magic then you're going to pay for it.

Back a decade ago we went during my dad's Birthday 3 years in a row.
In that time once at Crystal Palace he got a birthday cupcake and the characters gathered around and everyone sang to him and he blew out the candle.
Another time a CM at EPCOT pulled him aside and said he had a phone call. He picked up the phone and Mickey told him happy birthday.

These days with so many people wearing celebration buttons and Disney seemingly being a bit more frugal you're more likely to just have a CM tell you happy birthday vs getting extra magic.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Birthday extras are probably more likely to happen at the pricier places -- my daughter received a beautiful signed placemat and free "magic" wand at Cinderella's Royal Table when we dined there on her birthday (with the occasion noted on our reservation), so the advice to choose somewhere like Be Our Guest is well-taken.

Still, it's never guaranteed. I had dinner at Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen on my birthday proper a couple of years ago, and although our server took note of my birthday button and casually said "happy birthday," there were no extras requested, offered or given. In contrast, when we had lunch at ABC Commissary (counter service) in Hollywood Studios, a CM sweetly offered me a free cupcake the moment he glimpsed the birthday button. You just never know.

Basically if you want to ensure extra magic then you're going to pay for it.

Back a decade ago we went during my dad's Birthday 3 years in a row.
In that time once at Crystal Palace he got a birthday cupcake and the characters gathered around and everyone sang to him and he blew out the candle.
Another time a CM at EPCOT pulled him aside and said he had a phone call. He picked up the phone and Mickey told him happy birthday.

These days with so many people wearing celebration buttons and Disney seemingly being a bit more frugal you're more likely to just have a CM tell you happy birthday vs getting extra magic.

Ha, I like the birthday phone call, that's pretty neat.

Does seem like it's mostly chance, didn't even know QS did things like that.

I would only wear the pin on my actual birthday, dont want to overdo it.

Maybe I'll just go someplace that looks fun that I've never been to before and if it happens, it happens. I was thinking maybe Whispering Canyon or The Wave maybe?

The_Jobu

Original Poster
We are eating at Grand Floridian Cafe next month. I have read many great things about their menu and service.

Had a great brunch there 2 years ago. We were eating on the patio and the entire Cinderella wedding parade came by, really amazing.

HouCuseChickie

While we have no idea what it will look like and what the menu will be like once they reopen, we've had some good meals at The Wave. The pre-furbishment atmosphere is so/so, but we've always found that the menu and food we've gotten feels more upscale/special than some non-signature spots, but without the signature price tag. It's supposed to be finished in time for the 50th, so maybe it's an option to keep open just in case. You might also consider a signature, but focus on the appetizer menu. Many of the appetizers are big enough for a meal, but don't have an entree price tag. California Grill is the first thing that comes to mind with this appetizer approach.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
While we have no idea what it will look like and what the menu will be like once they reopen, we've had some good meals at The Wave. The pre-furbishment atmosphere is so/so, but we've always found that the menu and food we've gotten feels more upscale/special than some non-signature spots, but without the signature price tag. It's supposed to be finished in time for the 50th, so maybe it's an option to keep open just in case. You might also consider a signature, but focus on the appetizer menu. Many of the appetizers are big enough for a meal, but don't have an entree price tag. California Grill is the first thing that comes to mind with this appetizer approach.

Yes, I've heard great things about The Wave but never got a chance to go! Hopefully it's as-good when it re-opens. I was thinking dinner at the Wave, then drinks at California Grill and Tambu Lounge.

CynBeth

When we went on my DH’s birthday 3 years ago he wore a birthday button and at lunch at Tutto and dinner at Le Cellier he has a dairy allergy and was brought sorbet with a candle in it and was sung to. We did not request anything they just did it at both places and it was a nice surprise. Not sure with COVID if they still do things like that.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
They will usually bring you out a cupcake for your birthday. When you make your dining reservation you can have it notated. You can even purchase a small cake to have served at dinner.

ppet

We were at Le cellier for my wife's birthday, they gave her a nice little cake for desert. A few years ago we were at MK on my birthday and the Plaza restaurant gave me a cup cake with a candle which was cute. The plaza was definitely the more affordable option. Here's a picture of my wife's cake:
1623248144289.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom