Updates to the Seas Pavilion

Mickeynerd17

You must not be there whenever it’s used because it’s definitely still in use
I went 2 and a half months ago and it looked a little worse than this:

1622584999314.png

Considering I've only gone to Epcot twice annually for many years I've probably only seen it used once if at all, and I know it was used heavily long after The Seas opened, so it might still be used today, but doesn't change the fact the chamber shouldn't be green like that.

It's all based off what I know personally.

sedati

Regardless of whether they still use it, the chamber doesn't make as much sense now that the pavilion is no longer themed like an underwater base.
Other than the lock-out chamber and the exit hydrolators, there wasn't really anything in Sea Base Alpha that made it seem like a real living/working space under the sea. Horizons actually depicted that better.

UNCgolf

Other than the lock-out chamber and the exit hydrolators, there wasn't really anything in Sea Base Alpha that made it seem like a real living/working space under the sea. Horizons actually depicted that better.

Don't forget about the sea cabs; they worked as part of that concept too.

I agree that the scene in Horizons was probably a better depiction, but Sea Base Alpha worked well on children. The combination of the hydrolators and the sea cabs made me actually believe we were in an underwater base when I was a little kid. In my memory, the aquarium tanks had more animals and also plants so that it wasn't so obvious it was just a tank, but I don't know if that's actually true or if the whole concept just made me almost imagine that/fill in the blanks as a child.

As an older kid or an adult you of course know you didn't actually travel under the ocean (especially since it's like 70 miles away), but I think it was well designed and probably the best/most cohesive pavilion overall.

castlecake2.0

Don't forget about the sea cabs; they worked as part of that concept too.

I agree that the scene in Horizons was probably a better depiction, but Sea Base Alpha worked well on children. The combination of the hydrolators and the sea cabs made me actually believe we were in an underwater base when I was a little kid. In my memory, the aquarium tanks had more animals and also plants so that it wasn't so obvious it was just a tank, but I don't know if that's actually true or if the whole concept just made me almost imagine that/fill in the blanks as a child.

As an older kid or an adult you of course know you didn't actually travel under the ocean (especially since it's like 70 miles away), but I think it was well designed and probably the best/most cohesive pavilion overall.
Such a shame nemo ruined it

Little Green Men

It's bizarre that two of their biggest franchises from this century (Nemo and Frozen) have mediocre to bad rides shoehorned into an existing space in a park where they don't really belong.
Idt frozen is a bad ride myself. It beats a random Norway ride with a mishmash of fantasy and oil rigs. Nemo is better than sea cabs in that it adds 4 min of ride time and has physical scenes as opposed to just aquarium you’re about to look at anyhow.

DoleWhipDrea

I think FEA is fine (I like the AAs more than anything else) - if WED had been able to build what they originally wanted for SeaVenture/Maelstrom, I would have found that to be a better attraction than anything that ended up in the Norway Pavilion. Speaking as someone with Nordic heritage, I don't mind the Frozen characters being there so much. I appreciate that the Viking exhibit has real museum pieces and shows more of the culture. Frozen should have honestly gotten it's own original ride, though, and Maelstrom could have gotten some TLC. More rides should be added to WDW - subtracting or exchanging is a bad way of doing things.

But Nemo is, IMHO, a lesser experience for The Seas. The aquarium is the main event. A movie about fish (as good as the Nemo films are) isn't remotely as interesting as seeing the real thing. Covering up the tunnel was the worst thing that they could have done. Even the film's score doesn't hold a candle to the original music for the pavilion.

It's like Joe Rhode said to Eisner when he strolled in with a live tiger to convince Eisner to greenlight DAK - no matter what they may do or build, it will never be more exciting than a real majestic creature. Now is the time for WDI to reimagine this space and partner with National Geographic to do something truly spectacular.

At least they finally re-focused the darn projection for the tunnel finally :rolleyes:

wdworlandlover

I was going to say, I saw it used during my early 2020 trip and my late 2019 trip too.
I was going to say, I saw it used during my early 2020 trip and my late 2019 trip too.
I saw it in either November of 2019 or November of 2020. I can’t remember which trip it was. I visit the parks several weeks a year, though, and that was the first time in a long time I saw it being used.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Idt frozen is a bad ride myself. It beats a random Norway ride with a mishmash of fantasy and oil rigs. Nemo is better than sea cabs in that it adds 4 min of ride time and has physical scenes as opposed to just aquarium you’re about to look at anyhow.

You misspelled “Norwegian mythology”. The oil rigs were a bit of an odd choice but for a long time were an important export.

The Aracuan Bird

I went 2 and a half months ago and it looked a little worse than this:

View attachment 561309

Considering I've only gone to Epcot twice annually for many years I've probably only seen it used once if at all, and I know it was used heavily long after The Seas opened, so it might still be used today, but doesn't change the fact the chamber shouldn't be green like that.

It's all based off what I know personally.
I remember they made a huge deal about using it again 3-4 years back. I did see it in use whenever that was. Never saw it used again after that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You misspelled “Norwegian mythology”. The oil rigs were a bit of an odd choice but for a long time were an important export.
You misspelled "Scandanavian/Germanic mythology." ;)

Due to a lack of recorded literature of these northern European tribes, we don't know what myths can be appropriately attributed to "Norway" that isn't the same as (or really from) other Northern European tribes/nations.

"Norwegian myth" is itself a myth. Presenting Odin and Trolls as "Norwegian" was a bit... hand-wavy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You misspelled "Scandanavian/Germanic mythology." ;)

Due to a lack of recorded literature of these northern European tribes, we don't know what myths can be appropriately attributed to "Norway" that isn't the same as (or really from) other Northern European tribes/nations.

"Norwegian myth" is itself a myth. Presenting Odin and Trolls as "Norwegian" was a bit... hand-wavy.

True, “Scandinavian” would have been better than “Norwegian”.

DoleWhipDrea

True, “Scandinavian” would have been better than “Norwegian”.
Originally WED was going to have that whole section represent several Scandinavian countries, and those countries share a lot of cultural traditions collectively, so it's never been a surprise to me. I'm technically Swedish but there's so much in the Norway Pavilion that is shared with my background that I consider it my honorary pavilion at EPCOT ❤️ PS - everyone talks about the school bread, but what you should really try is the rice cream!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Originally WED was going to have that whole section represent several Scandinavian countries, and those countries share a lot of cultural traditions collectively, so it's never been a surprise to me. I'm technically Swedish but there's so much in the Norway Pavilion that is shared with my background that I consider it my honorary pavilion at EPCOT ❤️ PS - everyone talks about the school bread, but what you should really try is the rice cream!

Last comment on non-Seas stuff - they ruined the rice cream with the addition of cinnamon (and apparently lots of it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom