WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure to use Virtual Queue

mickEblu

I think the reason it feels so minimalistic is because almost the entirety of the drop is controlled and the bottom half is just them smoothing out acceleration so you don't come to a quick stop lol. That animation that was posted basically shows off what I mean. Then, compared to GotG:MB, that system pulls you down faster than gravity so it definitely feels more intense just because of that

Great point

MarvelCharacterNerd

I would strongly encourage you to try ROTR, I’m guessing the drop is about 3 feet - that makes you sick ?
I went on RSR right after it opened, not realizing it had a drop at the end. When we started going up the hill, I thought "oh no". When I got off the ride, I fell over, and needed help walking for at least the next hour, because I couldn't compensate my balance..

When my body is dropped, I may physically stop at some point, but my brain still thinks I'm falling long afterward.

ROTR is not a 3 foot drop. And I will not be able to handle it.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Hey everyone is different and I'm really glad that there's a new ride that you will be able to enjoy, I hope you have a great time.
Thank you! :) This is the first new attraction in a decade at DLR that I can enjoy! :) (Cars Land, GE and Pixar Pier all being no-go's for me - though I adore the atmosphere in Cars Land and happily hang out there!)

Will be posting my review next weekend! :)

Giss Neric

Right I thought it was a 5-10 foot drop and then the rest of the way you go down slowly during the simulator portion of the ride. I still find it hard to believe to be honest. Actually on second thought 20 feet isn’t really that long of a drop. It’s just that the number sounds big compared to sensation felt on the ride
If you feel a tickle in your stomach when you drop then that's definitely not just 5-10 feet. I felt it in Rise but just quick. But then I anticipate that there will be a drop so it wasn't as bad.

If you didn't expect that drop at all, you would think that it would be higher cause of the surprise factor

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right I thought it was a 5-10 foot drop and then the rest of the way you go down slowly during the simulator portion of the ride. I still find it hard to believe to be honest. Actually on second thought 20 feet isn’t really that long of a drop. It’s just that the number sounds big compared to sensation felt on the ride

Remember... at a true free fall.. it only takes ~1.1 second to travel 20 ft. Considering they soften the stopping by probably 10ft or so to give a controlled feel.. you can see how quickly the whole thing happens and how the deceleration is probably just as long or longer than the 'fall' portion.. Plus, there is a lot of friction in this kind of system because nothing truly is disconnected entirely, so it's a bit slower than the theoretical acceleration too.

Old Mouseketeer

no no no no no no no. Rise EVERY SINGLE TIME. Like don't get me wrong, I like WEB, but at the end of the day it is just a next gen Midway Mania. Rise is a whole brand new thing.

Exactly. WEB is so much fun and I look forward to riding it more. I ride Falcon because it's the damn Falcon!!! But Rise is an epic experience to equal any previous advance in the industry.

mickEblu

SO many hallways.

I’d rank Rise near last in terms of all the E’s between both parks.

Wow. Even all of the DCA Es? On second thought, I guess it depends how we are ranking these Es. How fun they are or the joy they bring? How impressive they are? If we re talking just fun then yeah I’d agree it’s near the bottom.

After riding ROTR three times last week, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a great attraction for the concept they chose. I just don’t find being in a sterile Star Destroyer as appealing as caverns, haunted houses, Jungles etc. I can also understand why the they went with a Star Destroyer as the location for the attraction as its one of the more consistent themes across all the movies. It was one of, if not the highlight of my sons trip which of course makes it one of the highlights of my trip.

I also think the degree of difficulty needs to be taken into account. Boarding a rebel ship which is captured by the first order onto a Star Destroyer. Then just having to create a realistic enough battle on the ship and a way us to get back down to Batuu. Its just harder to pull off than anything else they have ever attempted at DL. I think part of the genius of old WED was they knew their limits. We don’t float past any dueling pirate AAs on POTC because that would have looked ridiculous and not convincing in the 60s and It still would today. Which is why they use screens when excessive action is needed like hai’s POTC and Hook v Pan on Shanghai’s Pan. So i do give them a lot of credit for swinging for the fences with ROTR even if an X wing coaster would have been more fun for me.

I also think Disney opening a Star Wars ride in 2019 had to have an experience like this. Perhaps they went with the wrong concept but I don’t think a thrill ride/ coaster would have cut it. Any sort of thrill ride I think would have to be the #2 option in the land. Perhaps they would have been better off with ROTR (or an equivalent), the dog fight coaster and have the Falcon be a walk through or something. Especially since Star Tours already exists. I think they overestimated how revolutionary the Falcon would be and were blinded by the interactive gameplay component. I think ROTR is executed pretty well for the concept they chose as opposed to Smugglers Run that’s a better, more simple concept but not executed well... at least for 4 of the 6 riders. With that said, I think the tech (without spending an astronomical amount of money) that could make ROTR a mind blowing experience is probably 10-20 years away especially since they are going for the hyper real sort of immersiveness. This thing isn’t being graded like Mr. Toad.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Wow. Even all of the DCA Es? On second thought, I guess it depends how we are ranking these Es. How fun they are or the joy they bring? How impressive they are? If we re talking just fun then yeah I’d agree it’s near the bottom.

After riding ROTR three times last week, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a great attraction for the concept they chose. I just don’t find being in a sterile Star Destroyer as appealing as caverns, haunted houses, Jungles etc. I can also understand why the they went with a Star Destroyer as the location for the attraction as its one of the more consistent themes across all the movies. It was one of, if not the highlight of my sons trip which of course makes it one of the highlights of my trip.

I also think the degree of difficulty needs to be taken into account. Boarding a rebel ship which is captured by the first order onto a Star Destroyer. Then just having to create a realistic enough battle on the ship and a way us to get back down to Batuu. Its just harder to pull off than anything else they have ever attempted at DL. I think part of the genius of old WED was they knew their limits. We don’t float past any dueling pirate AAs on POTC because that would have looked ridiculous and not convincing in the 60s and It still would today. Which is why they use screens when excessive action is needed like ****hai’s POTC and Hook v Pan on Shanghai’s Pan. So i do give them a lot of credit for swinging for the fences with ROTR even if an X wing coaster would have been more fun for me.

I also think Disney opening a Star Wars ride in 2019 had to have an experience like this. Perhaps they went with the wrong concept but I don’t think a thrill ride/ coaster would have cut it. Any sort of thrill ride I think would have to be the #2 option in the land. Perhaps they would have been better off with ROTR (or an equivalent), the dog fight coaster and have the Falcon be a walk through or something. Especially since Star Tours already exists. I think they overestimated how revolutionary the Falcon would be and were blinded by the interactive gameplay component. I think ROTR is executed pretty well for the concept they chose as opposed to Smugglers Run that’s a better, more simple concept but not executed well... at least for 4 of the 6 riders. With that said, I think the tech (without spending an astronomical amount of money) that could make ROTR a mind blowing experience is probably 10-20 years away especially since they are going for the hyper real sort of immersiveness. This thing isn’t being graded like Mr. Toad.
Yeah, that’s why I said the scale of the attraction is impressive. That can’t be denied. I was impressed all the way leading up to loading. The set-up is great, but the execution of the actual ride itself isn’t. I had a blank stare on my face up until the drop part lol. It just reminded me of Transformers at USH. It’s definitely not a ride I’m willing to join a virtual queue for. All that hassle for a ride I’m not very impressed with... I’m good.

I’d rank it above Incredicoaster and maybe Guardians.

George Lucas on a Bench

I rank ROTR pretty low as an E Ticket at DLR but it's clearly better than the MF ride, which is little more than an Xbox game with some nice sets once you're in the MF and past the boring waiting line full of rusty junk. Smugglers Run is bottom of the barrel. It seems like SW would have been better suited as one attraction, not a massive expansion of DL. Just combine elements of MF (mainly the MF itself, which is a photo op) with ROTR overall experience and increase capacity so it has enough throughput that people can line up for it.

ROTR is just too sterile overall and it has not managed to make it on my list of Must-Dos unless I was with someone who never went on it. In the end, it can never compete with classics like POTC, HM, BTM, SM, Matterhorn and the DCA Bread Factory.

On the topic of Avengers, they're obviously just doing the same thing as SW. Open a land with a D Ticket posing as an E Ticket as well as a preexisting ride in the park, and mainly shopping and dining until the mysterious E Ticket opens, if it ever does.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Yeah, that’s why I said the scale of the attraction is impressive. That can’t be denied. I was impressed all the way leading up to loading. The set-up is great, but the execution of the actual ride itself isn’t. I had a blank stare on my face up until the drop part lol. It just reminded me of Transformers at USH. It’s definitely not a ride I’m willing to join a virtual queue for. All that hassle for a ride I’m not very impressed with... I’m good.

I’d rank it above Incredicoaster and maybe Guardians.

Lol I had the same blank stare the first time I rode. It grew on me a little last week. It also helps when you’re living it through your sons eyes and when you are walking on and not waiting an hour to ride. I’d put it above Soarin Around the World too but if we re talking pure fun id put it behind all three of them.

Californian Elitist

Lol I had the same blank stare the first time I rode. It grew on me a little last week. It also helps when you’re living it through your sons eyes and when you are walking on and not waiting an hour to ride. I’d put it above Soarin Around the World too but if we re talking pure fun id put it behind all three of them.
I forgot Soarin Around Some BS. I’d put it above that one as well.

I would definitely enjoy it more if I went on with my nephews. They’re at the age where they would really, really enjoy Rise. I would experience it again just to ride it with them and see the looks on their faces.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I also think the degree of difficulty needs to be taken into account. Boarding a rebel ship which is captured by the first order onto a Star Destroyer. Then just having to create a realistic enough battle on the ship and a way us to get back down to Batuu. Its just harder to pull off than anything else they have ever attempted at DL. I think part of the genius of old WED was they knew their limits. We don’t float past any dueling pirate AAs on POTC because that would have looked ridiculous and not convincing in the 60s and It still would today. Which is why they use screens when excessive action is needed like ****hai’s POTC and Hook v Pan on Shanghai’s Pan. So i do give them a lot of credit for swinging for the fences with ROTR even if an X wing coaster would have been more fun for me.

Well thought out and articulated. I agree with many of your points. while I don't like the land in general I think the ride is really really good but just not thrilling. creative as hell, but not thrilling enough for me. Indy is thrilling. Still feel this would have been a better ride if it was themed as the Death Star and had Vader in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom