FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgmnt

I am... incredibly interested... to see what Disney does here. There will be some alternate queue system going forward. There will definitely be an added cost involved to use it to the fullest extent. Most people will probably hate it. Me? I'm actually going to be thankful that I don't have an obligation to schedule my 9:35 AM Tower of Terror ride 60 days before I even wind up in Central Florida. I am thankful I don't have to see families rush through the FP+ line at Magic Carpets of Aladdin and think they got a deal. I'm hopeful that they can pretend to have learned a lesson and not overdistribute fastpasses to buzz lightyear's space ranger spin so you're not in the normal standby line in the building for 30 minutes on an omnimover ride.

We'll see! Think it comes before or after Holiday 2021?

Marc Davis Fan

It would seem like a happy medium if FP were only for Disney hotel guests.

This would prevent a really obvious sense of "they paid extra so they're getting to skip lines" (even though it would in fact be the case, it's more indirect), and it would further incentivize staying at Disney hotels.

Unfortunately, I believe @marni1971 has already suggested that this option has been disregarded. I only wish I knew why, because I can't figure out what the downside would be...

mattpeto

This would prevent a really obvious sense of "they paid extra so they're getting to skip lines" (even though it would in fact be the case, it's more indirect), and it would further incentivize staying at Disney hotels.

Unfortunately, I believe @marni1971 has already suggested that this option has been disregarded. I only wish I knew why, because I can't figure out what the downside would be...

It sure feels like the Disney Bubble has popped a bit. Killing DME demonstrated that.

rogerrabbitfan9

Can someone explain how they tore apart the FP+ system to get the park pass system working? This doesn’t match my understanding of how modern software engineering works, but I may be missing something.

TrojanUSC

There are over 30,000 hotel rooms on Disney property at the Disney owned/operated resorts alone. Figure each room has an average of 3 people, you're dealing with 90,000 people/day.

fgmnt

I wonder if they really think they need to sweeten the pot for hotel guests much more. EMH is already dead and rooms are still getting booked. They're charging for parking now, rooms are still getting booked. Etc.

UNCgolf

the ugly “secret”...because it’s actually obvious...is that they don’t have nearly the ride capacity most days to handle Normal crowds. They sat around too long.

Not only did they sit around too long, once they actually started to build again they've had a tendency to replace existing attractions instead of building something actually new -- and the replacements have often had a lower capacity than what they replaced.

mattpeto

Can someone explain how they tore apart the FP+ system to get the park pass system working? This doesn’t match my understanding of how modern software engineering works, but I may be missing something.

It doesn't. It's a myth that's out in the community for no good reason, IMO.

The FP+ system was built and yes it's repurposed for park reservations, but bolting on a FP+ with park reservations make it seem like we sending a rocket to Mars.

The code has been done and can be repurposed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not only did they sit around too long, once they actually started to build again they've had a tendency to replace existing attractions instead of building something actually new -- and the replacements have often had a lower capacity than what they replaced.

And taking 5 years what a “commitment” would open in 2

Last edited:

UNCgolf

There are over 30,000 hotel rooms on Disney property at the Disney owned/operated resorts alone. Figure each room has an average of 3 people, you're dealing with 90,000 people/day.

90,000 people a day spread out over 4 parks, though -- not to mention the two water parks for large parts of the year. That probably wouldn't equate to more than 20k at any one park on any given day, which would be doable for FastPasses.

Not that I think they're going to do that.

Jrb1979

90,000 people a day spread out over 4 parks, though -- not to mention the two water parks for large parts of the year. That probably wouldn't equate to more than 20k at any one park on any given day, which would be doable for FastPasses.

That's too many. Needs to be more limited then that.

doctornick

And it doesn’t have to be 3 per person either. They could do something like 1 FP for Value, 2 for Moderates, 3 for Deluxes which would be a far lower amount that was was previously allocated for FP+

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if they really think they need to sweeten the pot for hotel guests much more. EMH is already dead and rooms are still getting booked. They're charging for parking now, rooms are still getting booked. Etc.

they do not need to “sweeten” anything. And they know it more than any of we - the hacks - here discussing it.

their problem with fastpass is they can’t let it be known they’ve allowed their parks to fall behind. That’s a line they can’t cross.

if you continue to charge more and then you have to admit (cause it’s obvious) that there’s NO way the product you’re selling can be used by everyone paying?...then you have damage that will hurt them forever.

its really a shell game now...and it didn’t have to be that way. Mike, bob, and slaps allowed it to go here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

those numbers are really low. That’s only 32 mil clicks in a year. You’re “light”

and hardly anyone is in the waterparks...that’s why they could care less about them.

and...the “spike” days are where the numbers are really off and it would get ugly without fastpass.

park reservations can help some with that (different problem...but it can be used as a valve)...but you could see a magic kingdom where you have 90 and above waits...for everything. Or 3 hours for “top” (all a bunch of old crap...to be honest)...and 60+ for the others.

Jrb1979

those numbers are really low. That’s only 32 mil clicks in a year. You’re “light”

and hardly anyone is in the waterparks...that’s why they could care less about them.

and...the “spike” days are where the numbers are really off and it would get ugly without fastpass.

park reservations can help some with that (different problem...but it can be used as a valve)...but you could see a magic kingdom where you have 90 and above waits...for everything. Or 3 hours for “top” (all a bunch of old crap...to be honest)...and 60+ for the others.
I think those days are coming soon now with them raising capacity. I think that guest satisfaction that was once high this last year is going to come crashing down

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's better for the general public to overcharge then under. If the FP lines stay short, the standby lines will move quicker and everyone will be happy. The rich can smerk and the poor can not be nearly as frustrated. So charge away Disney.

Fastpass is also a crowd management system...if not enough people are using it...it doesn’t work. If too many have open floodgates access...doesn’t work.

Other parks do it. Charge $200 a person per day for FP with no scheduling involved. Most won't go for it and those that do will have low waits. Win win.

so you want to tell me how they can give the pass to the people paying $800 a night at boardwalk free access...but then tell the other half of the place that bought contracts at $50 a point and the check was cashed in 1996 they aren’t getting it?

did they put up those gates on I-4 and I missed it? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think those days are coming soon now with them raising capacity. I think that guest satisfaction that was once high this last year is going to come crashing down

without fastpass? Anyone who ever set foot in the place before (which is always the majority...every single day) is gonna hate it.

by July at this rate.

but we’ll have fun convos here...for sure 👍🏻

hopemax

RotR's "goal" capacity is what, 1700 people per hour. Over a 12 hour day only 20,400 spots. How many do you assign to hotel guests, how many to offsite? Frozen is 1000/hr so that's only 12,000 over a full day. Hotel guests would be annoyed if they don't get FPs on the good rides, but you can't give them all the spots otherwise what's the point of coming from off-site? Like half of WDW's guests are off-site, and WDW isn't going to risk that volume of off-site ticket sales, food, merchandise. There are both too many people on and off-site, and too little capacity for all of the newer, popular rides. WDW knew how many more guests they have today over the 90s and they didn't prioritize capacity but believed they could make it work by playing musical chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom