Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

The parameters led to guidelines. The guidelines have been nothing more than theater. People championed the guidelines of temperature screening and constant cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. They demanded it to keep everyone safe. Now, the same people all agree that temperature screening and cleaning surfaces is a waste of time and resources.

The CDC has flip flopped and quietly changed numbers more times than I can count. They recently dropped covid deaths by 5% and even changed the numbers on comorbidity, but nobodies talking about that.

And I'm not saying masks offer nothing. But it's been 14 months since "2 weeks to slow the spread" and by now, EVERYBODY has come into contact with covid in one form or another. And let's dispense with any pleasant thoughts that people are wearing masks to prevent spreading the virus. People wear the masks because they think it may prevent them from getting covid, which again, they've already come in contact with. Go to any shopping center or busy area and see how many masks are carelessly discarded on the ground, even within ten feet from a trash can. If people were wearing the mask to protect those around them they would not be so haphazard with discarding of their germ infested mask that they've been breathing in and leaving hanging on their rearview mirror baking in the Sun for days on end.

Which also brings up the question of why has there never been any strict protocol for discarding masks? These are the most germ infested things on the planet which are not only carrying germs from covid but Lord knows what else yet there is no strict protocol for how to discard them or any type of containment system.

They are however polluting our oceans and popping up in random places where they're being discarded and dumped by trash companies or they're just left to rot on the ground. Why is the CDC and Fauci not issuing guidelines for discarding these absolutely disgusting germ infested pieces of fabric that contain "the most deadly virus" we've seen in several generations?

Why? Because it's theater.

Come on. I know you enough to know that you know it's not "theater."

"Cats" is theater. And it's awful. 🤣

Re: temperature checks and sanitizing: that's not theater. That was erring on the side of caution when not enough information was known.

You can't expect a brand new virus to appear and then *bam!* slap it under a microscope and know everything there is to know about it.

What we "knew" was just based on reports unfolding before our eyes. I watched very closely. You'd hear idiotic things like "kids don't get it" as if the germs could tell the difference between a child and an adult, when really the children were just protected more by being isolated because schools were closed. What we "knew" was largely anecdotal and constantly evolving. Conclusions were drawn where perhaps they shouldn't have been.

With that said, if they thought (as they said early on) that it might be able to live on surfaces for days, then using sanitizer isn't and wasn't theater. It was erring on the side of caution. It was taking reasonable steps based on preliminary information.

Temperature checks never made sense to me, and I never instituted them in my place of business. But if a place like WDW, with a lot more foot traffic, wanted to reduce their exposure by ejecting people with a temperature, I get it. And that's not theater, either. It's being extra careful in a situation that warrants such care. If a local ordinance insisted I do temperature checks, I would have complied. No harm other than the cost of the thermometer.

I have always had sanitizer at my counters long before COVID. What changed is we put an extra one by the front door and asked every customer to use it before they shopped. Was that perfect? No. If they brought something in on their hands, it could help. If they were actively shedding virus, it wouldn't help for long. We also offered optional gloves. IMO, those were the better answer, but were not used as often.

As we learned it was less about surfaces and more about air, I didn't get angry because they were understandably incorrect in some assumptions, and I know it's not "flip-flopping." I still have the sanitizer out by the front door, but we don't actively ask everyone to use it if they walk past it. I've bought my last box of overpriced gloves. I still spray high-touch surfaces often, like doorknobs and credit card machines. I leave at least one door open at all times for air flow.

Is that perfect? Still, no. What if a new variant pops up that IS able to live longer on surfaces? We won't know about it for weeks after people start catching it.

Social distancing and masks are still mandatory; neither are theater. This is a balanced and sensible approach - erring on the side of caution.

Re: strict protocols for discarding masks: down here, I believe it was part of the ordinance that you couldn't just throw them anywhere. But there's an easy answer to your question: masks are not hosts, they are (porous) surfaces. In the worst cases, they used to think it could live on less porous surfaces for a few days, so a pile of masks in a garbage dump is no risk to anyone, the virus dies on them. Further, it's likely most masks were precautionary and had no actual germs on them.

See ya in the you-know-where. (First rule about fight club...)

HarperRose

Watch Chapek announced that at the earnings phone call!

Who knows what huge steps may be next... I mean, they are currently slowly bringing back valet parking!
Maybe they won't socially distance cars in the parking lot anymore! Actually allow cars to park next to each other!
Maybe let resorts guests use their refillable mugs instead of a paper cup!
Who knows, maybe they will go really crazy and increase capacity at resort swimming pools!
Or give reduced mousekeeping every day!
I read earlier today (here, maybe?) that they are slowly bringing back some trams in the parking lots. That's a biggie.

correcaminos

So I have been lurking in this thread from the beginning, and have stayed out of it since I’m not a fan of the way people get ridiculed for every single thought they have.

I do have a question that I would like to submit.

If you are 100% vaccinated as I am, why would you feel the need to wear a mask.

I’m not talking about policy, I understand why we need the mask mandate since you don’t know who is vaccinated.

I’m talking about if you are in a situation where a mask is not required , let’s say in an outdoor shopping mall.

This way of thinking seems like no matter what improves the goalposts will just be moved.
What is it going to take?

This is why we need 46 to step up and set a target. Even if the states don’t have to follow it.

Otherwise we will have vaccinated people living scared of something that they statistically will not catch and most certainly will not die from.

If you are vaccinated go live your life.
There are times when going from store to store it's just easier to keep on. In the cold months, the masks keep me warm so I would willingly keep it on in the car too (hate the cold)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Huh? Fully vaccinated AND with less than 1% (closer to .1%) of cases coming from outdoor settings, and you would still choose to wear a mask outdoors in order to make people feel better and not be judged? Your choice but I would say, let them judge and when they question you, tell them, "I am vaccinated! Once you get vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask either! Be like me. Now git her done!!"

the entire problem...and I know you’re gonna hate it...is “individual choice” has made all of this longer and worse.

so is it idiot proofing? The mask? Is that why Joe shuffles up in the mask?

yes...probably.

“I’m appalled! How dare they think I’m stupid!

...but I’m gonna need proof from everyone that they can handle it before I outright reject it”

...and that’s the kicker.

ok...the masks will work themselves out. It really is silly to fire salvos on this.

let’s get back to demanding parades.

mmascari

A very good point... and why DW & I are looking into THIS (assuming it's not "banned" by someone). Businesses and individuals need some form of accepted visual "I'm Vaccinated" token. We hold ZERO financial interest in this new, promising product:

Worth noting: It's not a "passport". It DOES allow you, or another, to do a code scan & pull up web based IMAGE of your uploaded CDC COVID19 card. Beats walking around with the original pinned to your shirt :).
How does that prove you've been vaccinated?

I mean, it proves you bought the band. Proves you uploaded a photo. We can see the photo, maybe that's your card, maybe it's real. Maybe you're a crazy person who's sure "The Man" is out to get them and it's all fake.

The NY system at least verified with the provider. There was a kickstarter that would get you 5 bands, color coded, for the same $20 I think. About as useful, especially the one that said "I'm infectious, stay away".

Can I get one in red with little Minnie Mouse polka dots? 😍
If you already have a magic band that looks like this, just wear that. You can people the vaccine is just like magic. :) It kind of is, so it's truthful in that sense.

ImperfectPixie

There are times when going from store to store it's just easier to keep on. In the cold months, the masks keep me warm so I would willingly keep it on in the car too (hate the cold)
That was me yesterday. Parked, went into one store for less than 4 minutes, put purchase in truck, went to next store over for about 20 minutes. Didn't bother with removing my mask in between because I was literally 25' or less from the entrance of each store.

mmascari

And they take away the funding that we require to make the web and discussion boards possible.
That's a community problem. Needs a community solution as we all act for the community in some action instead of just for the individual.

We could all block all ads as an individual decision. But, then the community would die. Then where would we argue about the smoke stack color shade.

correcaminos

How’d you do it? I’ve contemplated lying about my son’s age to make an appointment with CVS, but with the wide open availability here it probably not changes things by a day or two anyway.
Walgreens I couldn't even put in my kids info - didn't allow when logged in. Kroger I put in the correct birthday and just said was qualified. CVS was one to kick out unless wrong birthday was used. Just a little info from my experiences. I have an appointment tomorrow in hope they approve. Our gov said we can begin vaccination as soon as CDC signs off.
As much as I have not enjoyed the masks, during the winter I will admit it was nice to be warmer.
I loathe the cold. We did a socially distanced cookie exchange in December. I wore my mask over in the car to prewarm my face even. No joke!
That was me yesterday. Parked, went into one store for less than 4 minutes, put purchase in truck, went to next store over for about 20 minutes. Didn't bother with removing my mask in between because I was literally 25' or less from the entrance of each store.
Yeah totally get that. My salon is right next door to Whole foods in an outdoor mall. It often remains. Now walking from my house to either, I don't bother with.

Trauma

Nothing wrong with wearing a mask because of convenience or because it makes you feel more comfortable.

We just need to remember the only reason we need to wear masks at all, is because of the selfish people who don’t care about others.

Lets not lose sight of what’s really going on here.

We do not need to wear masks because of covid, we have the solution for that.

We have to wear masks because of people who simply do not care at all about anything but themselves.

ImperfectPixie

Nothing wrong with wearing a mask because of convenience or because it makes you feel more comfortable.

We just need to remember the only reason we need to wear masks at all, is because of the selfish people who don’t care about others.

Lets not lose sight of what’s really going on here.

We do not need to wear masks because of covid, we have the solution for that.

We have to wear masks because of people who simply do not care at all about anything but themselves.
Don't get me started.

(ETA: I don't really disagree.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How’d you do it? I’ve contemplated lying about my son’s age to make an appointment with CVS, but with the wide open availability here it probably not changes things by a day or two anyway.
Yeah, I tried CVS first but they haven’t updated yet. My county website has opened appointments for the county vaccine sites starting tomorrow for 12-15. I guess they assume the CDC approval will come in. He has a half day from school on Friday anyway so picking him up and heading to the mall to the abandoned Sears store for the shot. It’s good to see they found some use for the old Sears locations :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom