News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Californian Elitist

Oh. You're comment made it seem as though you thought no one outside our tiny community here cared about this. It's making national news. And mostly people are laughing at the woman who thinks Snow White gets raped at the end of the Disneyland ride.
I was referring to the thread.

You speak of “crazy Leftists” (ya’ll see the trend of petty name-calling?), but the ones making a big deal out of this and running with it, similar to the Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess debacles, are not “crazy Leftists,” but more so those leaning right/have conservative views.

Ya’ll fall for it every time.

CaptinEO

If someone as a person can't understand the difference between fiction and reality, there is something seriously wrong.

If entertainment increasingly has to reflect reality than it will only be further and further moved away from being entertainment.

Californian Elitist

What’s clear is there are certain people here who don’t care about talking about Disney/ Disneyland so much as they want to talk politics.

Let’s see- one side is talking about the movie/ ride Snow White and how this article is ridiculous and how the movie/ ride are fine.

The other side is talking about our reaction, consent in general and how we should use Snow White to talk to our kids about consent. Perhaps the Disneyland forum isn’t what you’re looking for? Is there like a CNN forum here or something? Because apparently you guys in your convoluted message are saying the ride/ movie are fine so I’m not sure what your point is or why you re still talking.
Who are the ones who don’t want to talk about Disney/Disneyland here that you’re speaking of. There’s only one poster I can think of that seemed to love talking about how awful Newsom and California are, and has since disappeared since California started reopening.

You know that statement isn’t true. And Mick, you’ve voluntarily joined in on politically-charged conversations yourself, just like you’re doing now. But we’ve ALWAYS been about Disney/Disneyland here, even when the conversations turn political. Not to mention the political discussion is relevant/connected with the Disney/Disneyland topic at hand. No one here has created political threads/brings in political points out of thin air.

Castle Cake Apologist

What’s clear is there are certain people here who don’t care about talking about Disney/ Disneyland so much as they want to talk politics.

Let’s see- one side is talking about the movie/ ride Snow White and how this article is ridiculous and how the movie/ ride are fine.

The other side is talking about our reaction, consent in general and how we should use Snow White to talk to our kids about consent. Perhaps the Disneyland forum isn’t what you’re looking for? Is there like a CNN forum here or something? Because apparently you guys in your convoluted message are saying the ride/ movie are fine so I’m not sure what your point is or why you re still talking.

I mean, I came into a conversation that was already in progress, one that you continue to participate in as well. I've been a member here for literally twenty years, so I think I'll stick around, thanks. You're not the gatekeeper of who gets to participate in discussions here.

Castle Cake Apologist

Nothing they can do in the movie can make it clearly consensual as “proven” by members of this thread. If me kissing my wife while she’s sleeping is not consensual what could they possibly do in the movie?

Seriously though, I’d like to think this is some odd phase that society will look back on and laugh off in the near future. There is an ebb and flow to everything. Eventually people will get sick of cancel culture and things will turn the other way. And when it effects a company’s $$ that’s when we can be sure we’ll see the end of it. This Snow White saga is a good start and ridiculous enough to get things to start changing the tide.

For at least the 5th time, just because you kissing your wife while she sleeps is non-consensual, it isn't problematic. You continue to argue points that nobody is making.

lazyboy97o

If someone as a person can't understand the difference between fiction and reality, there is something seriously wrong.

If entertainment increasingly has to reflect reality than it will only be further and further moved away from being entertainment.
Nobody is confusing fiction and reality but fiction has always influenced and reflected reality. The efforts to preserve small towns and their Main Streets were influenced by Main Street, USA, a work of fiction. And yes, the type of fiction we enjoy is often a reflection of ourselves, collectively and individually.

mickEblu

For at least the 5th time, just because you kissing your wife while she sleeps is non-consensual, it isn't problematic. You continue to argue points that nobody is making.

So what’s the point of talking about it then? To add some more non sense to whatever your convoluted message is ?

mickEblu

I mean, I came into a conversation that was already in progress, one that you continue to participate in as well. I've been a member here for literally twenty years, so I think I'll stick around, thanks. You're not the gatekeeper of who gets to participate in discussions here.

I’m not ?

CaptinEO

Nobody is confusing fiction and reality but fiction has always influenced and reflected reality. The efforts to preserve small towns and their Main Streets were influenced by Main Street, USA, a work of fiction.
The current expectation now is that entertainment must reflect the standards of society.

It is like each piece of entertainment more and more is a video made for employees by a corporation's Human Resources department.

Castle Cake Apologist

I’m not ?

And to be super fair, most of us (including me) were discussing charming new tunnel effects in the mine and surviving scary trees in the new finale when y'all got yourselves all worked up into a frothing Conservative fantasia over an innocent review of the ride written by a "crazy leftist," who turned out to just be the Disneyland editor for the publication. I responded to ONE thing you said that I thought seemed problematic, and here we still are apparently. The conversation seemed to be dying down, but luckily @TP2000 came in here to stir the pot and start it back up.

lazyboy97o

The current expectation now is that entertainment must reflect the standards of society.

It is like each piece of entertainment more and more is a video made for employees by a corporation's Human Resources department.
That’s not a new expectation. There has been scandal surrounding works of fiction all through history. Much has been written about how Disneyland is a reflection of 1950s American society. It’s the same reasoning that Disneyland Paris was decried as a “cultural Chernobyl,” because it was not a reflection of French society.

DanielBB8

I can summarize.

Crazy Leftist in San Francisco who hasn't had a date in years gets all upset because a passed out Snow White gets kissed (closed-mouth, hands at sides, barely First Base) by a Hot Prince as the grand finale' to a kiddy ride at Disneyland. The crazy Leftist claims it's rape and that the Hot Prince should have gotten written consent approved by either the County or the Dorm Housemother before they both agreed to kiss each other. And Disneyland should have shut down the ride if they couldn't work a consent agreement into the C Ticket plotline.

Then a few folks here claimed that the San Francisco nutjob who used her prominent journalism mouthpiece to complain about a ride at Disneyland (because God knows there are no other problems in the world besides refurbished C Tickets) wasn't actually complaining about anything. And anyone who criticizes her column in SFGate.com is making stuff up and she said no such thing about Snow White and mostly her column was about the late spring care and feeding of Azaleas in the San Francisco peninsula and East Bay micro-climate. What Snow White? No one said anything about Snow White!

At least, that's about what I can figure after 4 minutes of reading/skimming during a late night Cognac. Maybe in the light of day and sober it might make more sense?

Don't you love gaslighting?

CaptinEO

That’s not a new expectation. There has been scandal surrounding works of fiction all through history. Much has been written about how Disneyland is a reflection of 1950s American society. It’s the same reasoning that Disneyland Paris was decried as a “cultural Chernobyl,” because it was not a reflection of French society.
Like I wrote, as time goes on entertainment is expected to reflect "more and more" of real world societal standards, not that it's a new concept. It certainly has seemed to accelerate in recent years. Whether it's a good or bad thing is up for debate, I think it makes things more boring.

el_super

The other side is talking about our reaction, consent in general and how we should use Snow White to talk to our kids about consent.

No. Absolutely not. Some of us HAVE been trying to talk about the implications for the ride and the historical context of cultural changes because we DON'T think the article is ridiculous. Trying to lump any useful discussion into an either/or like this is disingenuous and factually incorrect.

Honestly at this point, if you think that any discussion over the context of the ride is ridiculous, you shouldn't be posting in this thread. Just stop reading it.

This is a serious misunderstanding of the problem here. Specifically with Snow White, assault of that nature *IS* the reality. Seeing that on display in a theme park attraction can snap a viewer out of the entertainment of the moment and right back into their own reality with some not great feelings associated with it.

When a ride starts bringing up hurtful memories, people are less inclined to ride it and want to see it replaced. That's when it stops being entertainment.

And before this gets out of hand: I realize that people do need to take responsibility for their own feelings and their own mental well being. Not everything needs to change, and certainly not right away. We are far away from a tipping point where Snow White needs to be changed or closed, but changing the ride in this fashion, in the midst of a campaign toward inclusion, is definitely hard to understand.

mickEblu

Who are the ones who don’t want to talk about Disney/Disneyland here that you’re speaking of. There’s only one poster I can think of that seemed to love talking about how awful Newsom and California are, and has since disappeared since California started reopening.

You know that statement isn’t true. And Mick, you’ve voluntarily joined in on politically-charged conversations yourself, just like you’re doing now. But we’ve ALWAYS been about Disney/Disneyland here, even when the conversations turn political. Not to mention the political discussion is relevant/connected with the Disney/Disneyland topic at hand. No one here has created political threads/brings in political points out of thin air.

Just seems one side is giving their genuine reactions to the article and how the ride/ movie are fine and the other side are more concerned with our reactions. It’s almost as if the term “cancel culture” sets off anyone who thinks they fall on the left side of the political spectrum. I can’t help it if people take those two words personally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom