Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerMom

There is a ton of truth to this, but many won't respond well because of that awful word called privilege. Not just cost of food but time to prepare foods. Many really don't have the time to make a better for you less processed dinner even if the same price (I learned how to make cheap, good foods, but they were time consuming).

I think people are sick of it outdoors to be fair. And honestly at this point with all we know - rightly so. My zoo is the same way. I will admit to now wearing a looser fitting mask outdoors at our zoo that requires it, but it really needs to go away. Keep them for indoors and in queue. That's it.

I'm tired of a lot but at this point especially vaccinated people are really sick of this. Yes it is a rule and one should follow but this kind of action is what I think will drive no masks outdoors faster.

This rings true to me personally - with a loved one, not my own, but still. Or other developmentally delayed.

These are cases that make me wish more would vaccinate

I get the idea of being fully vaccinated (we are)
HOWEVER, it is a rule right now at these parks that you wear a mask over your nose and below your chin.
Why should this rule be followed any differently than say you must wear a shirt and shoes.

It is a rule for visiting so folks can decide. If they want to visit they should follow the rules.

Disney changed the rules on the size of strollers. It doesn't mean you can come with a larger stroller and say but last time I came it was OK so I should be able to break the rule this time. Yes this is a new/different rule but it is a rule.

Incomudro

Believe it or not, people in the media and government are just... people. They like going on vacation, they like meeting with friends and families, they like going out to eat, they like going to the theater, to amusement parks, to zoos, to concerts, to interacting with people in public.

Now, will the media use COVID to direct eyes towards their content? Of course! But that's the nature of the media, anything happening in the world they will try to spin to attract eyes (and clicks). If COVID disappears tomorrow, they'll move on to the next attention-grabbing headline. And thus the world turns.. The media existed without COVID before, and they will continue to do so when this disease fades.

We can imagine nefarious motivations all day by various individuals, but at the end of the day, they are still people and their lives have also been disrupted. Hardly anyone wants this to continue.
And like people, they know which side of the bread their butter is on.
They are not going to let stories that bring in the revenue go, until those stories are no longer working for them.
'Til then, they'll milk them for all they're worth.

corsairk09

I get the idea of being fully vaccinated (we are)
HOWEVER, it is a rule right now at these parks that you wear a mask over your nose and below your chin.
Why should this rule be followed any differently than say you must wear a shirt and shoes.

It is a rule for visiting so folks can decide. If they want to visit they should follow the rules.

Disney changed the rules on the size of strollers. It doesn't mean you can come with a larger stroller and say but last time I came it was OK so I should be able to break the rule this time. Yes this is a new/different rule but it is a rule.
I agree. We went to Disney in September and followed all the rules. Our youngest is 3 so we practiced wearing masks around the house so that she would know what was expected of her when we went. WE had a WONDERFUL time. WE are going back in November. Hoping the mask rules are gone by then, but when we bought the tickets we made a contract to follow the rules of the establishment and that is what we will do.

Just like, despite the fact that I am fully vaccinated, still wear a mask in Target when I go in because it is their rule.

It is what everyone should do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here's the thing. I don't believe everyone wants this thing to go away. I really don't.

First off, I think a lot of the fear about where we are is being driven by the media. The media has a vested interest in keeping this thing going as long as possible. They really do. 2020 was a banner year for the news media. The ratings that they scored from Covid news were through the roof. (Yes, there was a healthy amount of presidential politics mixed in to, but Covid was clearly the defining story of the year.) They don't want to lose that. And they already see it slipping away. They are trying to prolong this as much as they possibly can. And that is influencing how lots of people view where we are.

I think there are also political motivations behind some of the doom-and-gloom, but I won't go farther than to say that I think they exist because of the no politics rule.

Suffice it to say, no, I don't believe everyone wants it to go away. Not by a long shot.

I am sure there is a small number of people who truly don't want it to end for whatever reason, but I think there is larger group of people who don't feel that there is anything to "go away", they believe the disease and death are normal and just something we have to live with. "We don't change our lives for the flu, why do it for covid"

mmascari

I highly recommend the Grand Tetons! Spectacular hiking there last summer.

Tetons are wonderful. May I also suggest flying to Spokane (if you’re comfortable), renting a private RV and exploring anywhere from Spokane to Glacier. Mica Moon even has canopy zip lining for the kids!
I thank you both, but we're thinking something more drivable and skipping the airplane completely. Probably something with a house or campsite where we're not eating out but can do take out or cook. Combined with outdoor activities. There's currently some debate about the safety of a water park. Possibly for short durations, perhaps with private cabana rental. Since the cost of that still pales in comparison to a Disney trip. One can do vacation like a rock star in many places and still be cheaper than a Disney trip. :cool:

Last year we did Shenandoah, a very drivable destination. Very pandemic friendly.

JD80

I thank you both, but we're thinking something more drivable and skipping the airplane completely. Probably something with a house or campsite where we're not eating out but can do take out or cook. Combined with outdoor activities. There's currently some debate about the safety of a water park. Possibly for short durations, perhaps with private cabana rental. Since the cost of that still pales in comparison to a Disney trip. One can do vacation like a rock star in many places and still be cheaper than a Disney trip. :cool:

Last year we did Shenandoah, a very drivable destination. Very pandemic friendly.

I've got three young kids, we booked at a Jellystone campsite this summer. Should be fun.

DisneyCane

To be clear, I'm not worried about breakthrough cases, but I also don't want people to think they are absolutely safe, and especially not until more are fully vaccinated and not traveling or normally interacting with others unless fully immunized.
Regarding the media keeping this up, I think it is still their responsibility to do that until we are at a point where the numbers are significantly down. Not there yet. We're there with measles, polio, chicken pox, mumps, and rubella.
I am pretty sure the moment there is a newscast where it's not reported, some will jump on it to say there was never anything to this, that since it dropped off the news cycle, it was all a hoax for ratings.
NOTHING is "absolutely safe." You are at least as likely to have some other exceedingly rare medical issue and die as you are to die from a breakthrough case of COVID after being fully vaccinated.

People have been scratched by a branch doing yard work or hiking and ended up with a fatal infection. That doesn't mean you should worry that this might happen to you and avoid branches for the rest of your life.

DisneyCane

Tetons are wonderful. May I also suggest flying to Spokane (if you’re comfortable), renting a private RV and exploring anywhere from Spokane to Glacier. Mica Moon even has canopy zip lining for the kids!
Definitely agree with you. Some of the drive on I-90 between Spokane and Montana might be a little "white knuckle" if you aren't used to driving a large vehicle as are parts of Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP. Regardless, great suggestion.

EngineerMom

I have been furloughed now for a year and three days from Walt Disney World. Furloughs should generally be limited to less than a year. Wish more people cared about those of us still on furlough.
So sorry to hear that.
I feel for you. I was furloughed due to COVID and we had to cancel a Disney trip. I was lucky and got another job so we just went last week. I wish Disney had more things open. I hope they call more people back soon.

LaughingGravy

I have been furloughed now for a year and three days from Walt Disney World. Furloughs should generally be limited to less than a year. Wish more people cared about those of us still on furlough.
I've always enjoy seeing older castmembers at the parks. IMO, furloughed people should be rotated back in and out, and hopefully all back in as things open up.
I think those of us here care, but we're not the ones making the decisions in favor of ...wait for it...quarterly shareholder profits, because the sole reason for a company to exist is to make money, right? Especially for those that sign up for a piece of paper or electronic equivalent, maybe even not knowing they are doing so, to only go and sell it, or have someone else sell it, a short time later.
Bring back more things open to disperse the crowds and don't nickel and dime with reduced hours and up-charge experiences which used to be included, more or less.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Here's the thing. I don't believe everyone wants this thing to go away. I really don't.

First off, I think a lot of the fear about where we are is being driven by the media. The media has a vested interest in keeping this thing going as long as possible. They really do. 2020 was a banner year for the news media. The ratings that they scored from Covid news were through the roof. (Yes, there was a healthy amount of presidential politics mixed in to, but Covid was clearly the defining story of the year.) They don't want to lose that. And they already see it slipping away. They are trying to prolong this as much as they possibly can. And that is influencing how lots of people view where we are.

I think there are also political motivations behind some of the doom-and-gloom, but I won't go farther than to say that I think they exist because of the no politics rule.

Suffice it to say, no, I don't believe everyone wants it to go away. Not by a long shot.
Stop. The. Conspiracy. Theories. Stop blaming people for treating it as something that isn't over (hint: it isn't). Maybe folks should use this conspiratorial energy and, I don't know, put it toward educating the maskless.

Also, stop using the media for taking the blame here. I've had it, officially. I didn't even LOOK at the media last year before people told me I was out of my depths with concern. I read an AP article that tracked cases popping up in the Northwest. Then Westchester County. That's all I needed to know.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That would be me. I want vaccine passports required for concerts, cruises, sporting events and amusement parks. I'm glad cruises are requiring it and I believe it will be a permanent thing. With some NY based teams requiring its a matter of time til more do it. I'm sorry but I've lost a lot of faith in and respect for most people now. Too many don't care about others.
Sea World in CA is doing it for out of state guests now. Proof of Vaccinations or a negative Covid test for all guests 3 and up. Not required for CA residents. That’s the first national theme park company I’ve seen implement that. Not required for Sea World FL though.

I can see vaccine passports working for cruises for sure and for large group events like concerts or sporting events. It will never happen for every day activities like restaurants or shopping. My only hold back for WDW right now is kids. Sea World is requiring a negative covid test if you aren’t vaccinated for anyone over 2 so kids 3-11 would all need a negative test since they can’t get the vaccine yet. If you went to WDW for a week and visited a park every day that’s 7 covid tests for your kid. Not sure how many people would go for that.

havoc315

I give up. Based on polling 71% of Americans want to get the vaccine. When I said that you said the polls were wrong and the number would be lower. In your previous post you said we would have to hope for herd immunity at 50% vaccinated. Now you are saying you have been saying all along 70% of adults will get vaccinated. If that’s the case we would have been in agreement.

You keep citing 75%... claiming that it will be 70% plus half the undecided 10%. I've repeatedly said I expect it to be around 70%, give or take. (65-75%).
And what I've said -- 70% without any serious mitigation is far far removed from Israel at 80% plus mitigation/passports (they JUST lifted the outdoor mask mandate... which has already been lifted in most places in the US) and far removed from the 90%+ in the UK, with major mitigation.

What I've said repeatedly, I don't expect us to reach the 80%+ of Israel or the 90%+ of the UK. And I don't know (one way or the other), whether we can achieve herd immunity (really wiping out Covid) only achieving 70% of adults.

...and for the record 71% of eligible people vaccinated will equal 60% of the population until kids under 12 are approved.

You're including 71% of 12-15.... but 12-15 have not currently been approved. As I said repeatedly, 71% of 16+ is NOT the same as 71% of 12+. Israel has gotten to 60% without any 12-15 year-olds getting vaccinated.

You keep trying to shift the goal posts to make them shorter and easier to achieve. Israel gets 60% of the total population, 80% of 16+ vaccinated. You then shift the goal post, "well... we can get to 60% of the total population... with 71% of 12+ vaccinated. But that's not the same thing. Leaving 29% of adults unvaccinated is very different than 20% of adults non-vaccinated or <10% of adults non-vaccinated (the path the UK is on).

Right now, the goal posts are what Israel and the UK are doing: 80%+ of adults, or whatever it takes to get to herd immunity... with daily cases under 5,000-10,000. (Equivalent of Israel right now, would be about 5,000 cases per day).

That's my goal post. In reality, I don't care about the vaccination numbers -- If we only vaccinated 40% of adults and we still got down to 1,000 Covid cases per day, I'll be celebrating the great victory. If we vaccinate 75% of adults but still have 20,000 cases per day, I'll be lamenting the great failure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I feel for you and hope that you get called back soon.

Assuming the vaccine pace continues and the vaccines are as effective as advertised we should see a drop in cases soon and hopefully it will be safe to see things open even more including WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom