Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Sea World San Diego
Screenshot_20210420-183251_Chrome.jpg
open to out of state visitors, will require proof of covid vaccine or negative covid test within 72 hours.

GimpYancIent

The doom and gloom folks have lost their edge, no longer are people seeing COVID as the dreaded menace. People now see COVID as a serious but very survivable illness also the younger the less threatened. I see a movement for no mask wearing in open air outside areas but a requirement to wear masks in enclosed spaces (such as buildings, theaters, enclosed arenas). Those that chose to not get vaccinated are rolling the dice I just hope their choice does not end catastrophically for them.

Tom P.

The White House Chief of Staff just tweeted out that it's the second biggest Tuesday so far for vaccine doses administered, exceeded only by last Tuesday. We may be at the start of a decline, but the numbers so far are not as doom-and-gloomy as some here are portraying them to be.

JoeCamel

The doom and gloom folks have lost their edge, no longer are people seeing COVID as the dreaded menace. People now see COVID as a serious but very survivable illness also the younger the less threatened. I see a movement for no mask wearing in open air outside areas but a requirement to wear masks in enclosed spaces (such as buildings, theaters, enclosed arenas). Those that chose to not get vaccinated are rolling the dice I just hope their choice does not end catastrophically for them.
I think the math goes like this
I am one of the 25% who won't get a jab because reasons..
Only 10% actually get the virus
Only 10% if those go to hospital
Only 10% of those die!

So bottom line my chance is .0025% of dying from this? Not my concern.....

I blame it on "new math", they really cannot gauge risk.

CatesMom

This is a pretty good question. For me personally I’m a bit broken. It’s going to take me a little bit of time to get comfortable doing more stuff. I have been blessed with the ability to work from home since the start of this so I’ve been able to mostly avoid a lot of public contact. I imagine for people working outside the home every day and/or doing a lot more publicly the transition will be easier. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t wait to be able to go back to little things like eating out and sitting at the bar and drinking a draft beer, but I’m still not comfortable doing that now. I also can’t wait to get back to WDW and just traveling in general. I’m still not comfortable going to WDW today. I’m hoping by the Summer that changes but who knows.

I think for me I need to see cases come down a lot from where they are today before feeling comfortable. I have high confidence we will get there with the vaccines (in case anyone hadn’t figured that out already :)). I think if I went to WDW today I’d be too uncomfortable to fully enjoy myself. I want to be able to go and not care if people are following these rules and rules are being enforced. I think we will get there soon.
Baby steps . . .

My family ventured out tonight to our first eat-in restaurant in 13 months. My husband and I are fully vaccinated. Our 13-year-old daughter is not yet, but fingers crossed her time will come sooner rather than later. She is a conscientious mask-wearer and social distancer (lots of practice at school this year), and we all followed the rules closely in and out of the restaurant. It wasn't "normal" by any means, but it was a start.

Tomorrow I'm getting my first haircut in over a year.

Baby steps . . .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Baby steps . . .

My family ventured out tonight to our first eat-in restaurant in 13 months. My husband and I are fully vaccinated. Our 13-year-old daughter is not yet, but fingers crossed her time will come sooner rather than later. She is a conscientious mask-wearer and social distancer (lots of practice at school this year), and we all followed the rules closely in and out of the restaurant. It wasn't "normal" by any means, but it was a start.

Baby steps . . .
My full immunity day (2 weeks post 2nd shot) is Thursday and my wife gets her second shot on Friday so she is fully immune the Friday before Mother’s Day. Definitely plan to go out and do a little more in a few weeks. I won’t be licking any door knobs or anything crazy but we may try eating out one weekend. Probably depends on cases too. We had a little Spring Break surge around here so hopefully we are on the decline by May.

HarperRose

Baby steps . . .

Baby steps . . .
I had my first haircut in over a year yesterday. 🙂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The White House Chief of Staff just tweeted out that it's the second biggest Tuesday so far for vaccine doses administered, exceeded only by last Tuesday. We may be at the start of a decline, but the numbers so far are not as doom-and-gloomy as some here are portraying them to be.
Some people just have an agenda and would rather be right in their doom and gloom predictions than actually see a really positive thing occur for everyone. It is inevitable that the pace of vaccines will eventually tail off but that’s OK. We are moving into a phase where we go slower as we attempt to search out every last available vaccine candidate.

ImperfectPixie

If this activity is outside the comfort level of your risk assesment, remove yourself from the the risk area. Possibly shop at a less busy time or.do delivery if available.

As to the cashier, that is her own risk assesment. The cashier is responsible for herself.
Sorry, but not everyone can take a leave of absence. People refusing to mask and distance and vaccinate (save a medical reason not to) are just being ignorant, selfish jack-knobs.

The cashier has a right to support himself/herself without having to fear that an anti-masking, anti-vaxxing, self-centered jerk is going to put her/him in jeopardy.

DC0703

Forgive me, but your posts - to me- appear almost dangerously ill-informed. This is supposed to be a thread about COVID, so i will try to keep this diversion short.

Food allergy reactions can manifest in a variety of ways. They can even come to manifest as food cravings. This is notoriously common for those with milk allergies. Caregivers unwittingly insist that children drink milk every day. Schools and daycare centers provide free milk and similarly insist children drink milk, because "Milk is healthy!" People (usually children) with milk allergies then get so accustomed to daily reaction cycle that their bodies crave it! Sadly these children are often diagnosed with behavior disorders, when really they are just experiencing an allergic reaction.

If that wasn't horrible enough, any person who is prone to have 1 food allergy is prone to having multiple food allergies, though not always.

On top of that, there is not truly reliable way to test for food allergies. Skin prick tests partly work, but not always. There can be false negatives and false positives. Both of these factors make food allergies hard to diagnose. Diagnoses is often only possible via an elimination diet that lasts two full weeks. That = no wheat, milk, shellfish, nuts, coconut, egg, soy, fish, sesame. Nothing with any trace of any of these item, no eating out, and no cross contamination, and EVEN THEN a person can be allergic to ANY protein. They MIGHT be allergic to corn, gelatin, even beef or chicken!

Elimination diets are hard, because cross contamination is very easy. It can happen if a pot/pan is used to cook pasta, or a counter isn't wiped, a cup isn't properly washed. It can also happen when a food is processed/packaged.

Another poorly understood aspect of allergies is the idea of threshold. Allergic person A might experience a strong allergic reaction after exposure to .01grams of the allergen. Allergic person B might not experience a full reaction unless they are exposed to 5grams of the allergen (I'm making up random numbers.)

Allergies reactions are ranked on a scale, I think 1-5. But reaction level is very different from threshold. Person A might have a mild allergy (level 1 or 2) while person B has a strong (level 4 or5) allergic response.

Further...some allergic reactions are only triggered, I'm not quite sure how to say, but some reactions only occur when multiple factors occur at the same time. This is a bit tricky to explain in this space, but a person who has both a grass allergy and a milk allergy might be able to tolerate milk alone, but not MILK+GRASS TOGETHER at the same time. Again, this is part of why allergies, and related conditions, can be hard to diagnose.

A person with a - fairly severe wheat allergy may indeed be able to tolerate- at times- small amounts of wheat. They just have to carefully manage the quantity, AND they should understand food allergy severity can change over time.

I'll toss out one more common misunderstanding: allergies are always triggered by proteins. They are NOT triggered by fats, for example. People with severe peanut allergies can often tolerate peanut OIL just fine, so long as it is HIGHLY REFINED peanut oil. HIGHLY REFINED peanut oil = almost pure oil, VERY low protein. A person with a very low threshold though may well react to even a very tiny bit of peanut protein, so it is not safe to assume peanut oil is safe for every person with a peanut allergy.

It is therefore horribly incorrect, and very dangerous, to think that tolerating peanut OIL = that person can tolerate PEANUT PROTEIN

Please, allergies are very complicated, confusing, and widely misunderstood. All of us would do well to be better informed, as many allergies go dangerously undiagnosed/misdiagnosed, for many years. This is a Disney forum, not a good place to get medical advice from me or anyone else. We should all seek reputable sources of information. When it comes to allergies, that can be difficult, as they are not well understood.

I'm dangerously uninformed about a life-threatening condition that I have lived with for four decades?? :D:D Look, I can tell that you mean well and much of what you posted is correct information, I'm just not entirely sure where you read this from my posts. I'll chalk it up to crossed wires so that i can get back to today's juicy COVID drama on the boards here. I'm still a few pages back and I'm running out of popcorn... ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Careful with the polls. I suspect the number of anti-vax is actually a fair amount higher.

The polls undercount those who "don't trust government and don't trust science." -- We saw that in the last Presidential election, where Biden under performed the polls -- because the polls were failing to capture a certain segment of the population. For the same reason that political polls were off, vaccine polls are likely off by a similar degree. It was an effect from the people who don't trust science/government/media are also the people who disproportionately won't answer a poll. "The media is calling to ask me if I'm going to take the vaccine!?!?! Hell no, none of their business, I'm not answering their questions."
Maybe so, maybe not. I posted the below poll back in the beginning of February which showed 71% of the general population wanted the vaccine and by age demographic 80% of 65+ wanted it. We are now over 80% of the 65+ group and could max out closer to 85%. It’s yet to be seen where the under 65 crowd comes in, but we know for sure now that the poll was accurate or maybe a little under where actuals came in for the first demographic to go. There doesn’t appear to be any undercounting bias unless you think those 65+ all trust the government;)

havoc315

Maybe so, maybe not. I posted the below poll back in the beginning of February which showed 71% of the general population wanted the vaccine and by age demographic 80% of 65+ wanted it. We are now over 80% of the 65+ group and could max out closer to 85%. It’s yet to be seen where the under 65 crowd comes in, but we know for sure now that the poll was accurate or maybe a little under where actuals came in for the first demographic to go. There doesn’t appear to be any undercounting bias unless you think those 65+ all trust the government;)

lol. I certainly hope my pessimism is wrong.

purely anecdotal — but I realized I no longer know a single person waiting for a vaccine appointment. Everyone I know personally (dozens if not hundreds of people.. all my friends, family, co-workers) already has at least 1 vaccine dose or they have opted against the vaccine.

Not claiming my circle of people is representative, but it’s something that I don’t know a single person still waiting fir their first dose. (A couple of my son’s 16yo friends are getting their shots this week).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
lol. I certainly hope my pessimism is wrong.

purely anecdotal — but I realized I no longer know a single person waiting for a vaccine appointment. Everyone I know personally (dozens if not hundreds of people.. all my friends, family, co-workers) already has at least 1 vaccine dose or they have opted against the vaccine.

Not claiming my circle of people is representative, but it’s something that I don’t know a single person still waiting fir their first dose. (A couple of my son’s 16yo friends are getting their shots this week).
Makes some sense based on the numbers. If we have have 51% of adults with at least 1 shot they aren’t waiting for appointments. Assuming they make appointments up to about 10 days out and we are still doing on average 2 million first shots a day there could be upwards of 20M people with appointments who haven’t gone yet. That would get us to around 60% of adults who either already started or have an appointment. Assuming the 71% number in the poll is accurate that means only 11% left to make appointments. Not a large number. Those people are also not necessarily in a hurry to rush in and get a vaccine so it may be that appointments go unbooked and people go in when its convenient for them. That last 10%+ won’t be sitting on a website clicking repeatedly to refresh to try to get an appointment. They will trickle in slower.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Makes some sense based on the numbers. If we have have 51% of adults with at least 1 shot they aren’t waiting for appointments. Assuming they make appointments up to about 10 days out and we are still doing on average 2 million first shots a day there could be upwards of 20M people with appointments who haven’t gone yet. That would get us to around 60% of adults who either already started or have an appointment. Assuming the 71% number in the poll is accurate that means only 11% left to make appointments. Not a large number. Those people are also not necessarily in a hurry to rush in and get a vaccine so it may be that appointments go unbooked and people go in when its convenient for them. That last 10%+ won’t be sitting on a website clicking repeatedly to refresh to try to get an appointment. They will trickle in slower.
@GoofGoof are we getting back to normal soon, as masks and social distancing will end very soon by July or late summer? Will masks and social distancing will be gone for good?

BrianLo

Just over 25% of Canadians have now received at least one vaccine dose so far, including me now. :)

I was told after the shot to wait 15 minutes before leaving. Just long enough to listen to the SpectroModerna...er, Magic parade music. ✨

Congrats, did you get a leftover dose?

DisneyCane

Great post. The "doom and gloom" people are assuming that just because appointments aren't being snapped up instantly it means that nobody else is going to get vaccinated. The reality is that there are different groups of people.

1) Wanted to be vaccinated ASAP. This group includes high risk (especially 65+) as well as lower risk people who are extremely concerned about possibly getting COVID.
2) Want to be vaccinated but aren't in a huge rush so will book appointments when convenient or head to a "no appointment necessary" site when they have some time.
3) Indifferent about being vaccinated. These people aren't anti-vax but can't be bothered to actively seek out a shot. If you set up a vaccination clinic at their job they'll probably take a shot. If you can walk into a pharmacy (especially at a grocery store or Walmart) and not have to wait, they'll get around to it. It will help if there is a gift card or something in return like the flu shot.
4) Anti-COVID vax people. These are the people who will not get vaccinated no matter what even if you force them and they will fight it if you try to force them.

There are still (based on polling) plenty of people left in group #2 and group #3 that will get vaccinated. They just aren't clamoring for it immediately or doing so in a manner that is snapping up all available doses each week.

Here are the FL percentages by age group that have begun vaccination through yesterday:

Age% Vaccinated
16-24
15.6%​
25-34
21.6%​
35-44
31.1%​
45-54
39.4%​
55-64
56.1%​
65-74
83.7%​
75-84
83.3%​
85+
69.7%​
Total
37.8%​

65+ is at 81.7% combined. As it continues to creep up, I think that the 65-84 range will end up close to 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom