Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgmnt

Yes it “feels” but it’s not the facts.
with your gross indifference to death at all cast aside, the right wing chant about facts and feelings rings hollow when we're talking about a number in a population that is large and small. Do 95,000 people without any preexisting conditions sure from a virus often? An I missing something? What's a large number of people? 95,001? 950,000?

Nubs70

Without doing the math, I'm going to estimate that at least 70% of the US adult population has at least one comorbidity that puts them at risk for a worse COVID-19 outcome. Considering that 50% of the US adult population alone has hypertension, that's a whole lot of relatively healthy and otherwise productive people that are at increased risk.

These aren't just people sitting at home doing nothing. These are your neighbors, your friends, your colleagues, probably even family members. People you depend on, like plumbers, sanitation workers, accountants, physicians, teachers, nurses, mail carriers, etc.

But hey, screw them. I guess we should not expect others to act in response to their [sic] comorbidity.
You missed my point. If you have a comorbidity, don't rely on others to protect you. Take it upon yourself to protect yourself.

Don't be the alcoholic that blames the bartender for your relapse.

Kevin_W

I look forward to the day when kids are allowed to get the shot and I can tell a certain segment of the population to literally drop dead as they rebutt and refuse to accept Covid is something worthy of their concern. They will learn in the end, unfortunately for them.

On that subject - There were a bunch of news articles last week that Pfizer had applied for authorization for their vaccine for 12-15 yr olds. I have not seen any proposed timeline on that. Has anyone on here read anything?

SamusAranX

with your gross indifference to death at all cast aside, the right wing chant about facts and feelings rings hollow when we're talking about a number in a population that is large and small. Do 95,000 people without any preexisting conditions sure from a virus often? An I missing something? What's a large number of people? 95,001? 950,000?
Oh good lord.

Im not right wing, and I am not discounting anyone’s deaths. You are a latecomer to this thread and are grossly misrepresenting my previous posts and stances.

there is nothing wrong with acknowledging facts while also acknowledging we still need to make efforts to help those who are higher risk or not as fortunate as us.

Risk evaluation can help us make personal decisions, but we need to balance it with what our decisions might do in terms of affecting others.

Next time don’t assume and actually use reading comprehension. Sheesh

EngineerMom

Just back from a week in Florida. 2 days at Universal and 7 at Disney.

I have to say I was VERY dissappointed in Disney and how they are NOT enforcing the "rules" of mask wearing and social distancing.
In general no one seemed to care except the guy in the checkout line at Disney store in the Springs who was ready to fight the guy behind him when his kids got too close (that was rediculous especially what was going on everywhere)

Saw people not eating or drinking with their masks on their chin. Castmember says please put your mask on. Guy does it walks a few steps away and pulls it right back down. TOTALLY within sight of the castmember. What does this say to EVERYONE - the rule is just a statement that means nothing! Whole families where they all had their masks below their nose.....this is not a misstake this is a choice. Many times those famies were standing RIGHT IN FRONT of a castmember while we were all in line and castmember said NOTHING.
The only times the castmembers seemed to be taking the rule seriously were 2 rides where I heard them say put your mask back on or you will have to leave (Star tours where I think they thought they had closed the door so they couldn't see but they could!)

Do I want Disney to be 'mean" and I am sure they are thinking they want to be pleasant to everyone but you are in fact being mean/rude to the other people who ARE following the rules. Those masks get hot during the day. We were so relieved when we got back to our room and could take them off BUT we wore them! DH and I are fully vaccinated but we wore them!

SamusAranX

That concept is impossible in a pandemic. Have we learned nothing in the past year?
I won’t say it’s impossible for all people. But yeah for many it’s pretty darn hard. What if you are elderly and home bound like my grandma? Great! Except she receives visits from in home nurses and sitters. She legitimately has no choice to be exposed. So prior to vaccination, I hoped to God that her nurses and sitter weren’t engaging in high risk behaviors (no masks in public,bar visits, indoor dining, etc. )

that’s not even examining the mental costs for those who have the means and circumstances to shelter in place . My friend has cystic fibrosis. He before vaccination was in his house the majority of a year; and so were his parents. Grocery delivery, work from home, and car ride “vacations” were the norm. He got very depressed. Yes he made the choice to protect himself. But it came at great cost to his mental well being

Chip Chipperson

You missed my point. If you have a comorbidity, don't rely on others to protect you. Take it upon yourself to protect yourself.

Classy. So a patient with leukemia who needs to see a doctor for a checkup to see if their treatment is working is just SOL because how dare we have mask mandates or keep college kids from packing into bars like sardines or not pack arenas full of people for concerts??? And if those old people don't want nurses and orderlies bringing COVID into the nursing home, then maybe they should just stop being old. They can't expect those people to change their behavior just because they might inadvertently kill some wrinkled crybabies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought we went over this, oh I don’t know, a million times before? There’s rules and there’s exceptions to the rules.
Yes, perfectly healthy people can die from covid or become a long termed. The majority however will have a comorbidity or suffer increased effects because of age.

On the other hand, doesn’t give us an excuse to not do our part to help protect those who are at higher risk. Something as simple as wearing your mask at Publix for example. The higher risk there, are there because well, either they gotta work or they gotta eat. That’s just a small example. Some legit do not have a choice to not interact with society at all.

As far as obesity, yeah people need to take better care of their health, and obesity causes problems other then higher risk of covid and increases health care costs for everyone exponentially. Pointing out that fact is not in itself offensive. I just think saying it now is a bit of poor timing.
We have done this a million times. The fact of the matter is the Covid pandemic has been hard on everyone. We have all been asked to restrict or limit our behaviors in various ways to protect ourselves but also to protect others. Some people don’t want to limit their behavior so they constantly try to find justifications why they shouldn’t have to. The “fat” argument is just more of the same. “I’m young and healthy and have taken care of myself so why should I have to limit my activities in any way to help save fat people who should have done more to help themselves”. Yeah, it sounds pretty harsh when laid out that way, but that’s basically what people are saying.

LAKESHOW DVCER

It not just fat shaming its showing your privilege.

When people are working 2 fast food jobs to make ends meet, where do you think they are going to eat?

When you live in the innner city where there are no grocery stores and you have no transportation, where are you going to eat?

When you have a limited budget are you going to buy the salmon and quinoa or hamburger helper?

Yes there is the portion of the population that don't care about their health or weight, the Roger Alles of the world, but there are many that don't have the time or economic privelege to live a healthy livestyle.

As far as the covid death numbers, IMHO I just don't see how in the slums of Mumbai,where you have one toilet for every 1200 people, and the other hell holes around the third world that you could have accurate data.
Showing your privilege 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I won’t say it’s impossible for all people. But yeah for many it’s pretty darn hard. What if you are elderly and home bound like my grandma? Great! Except she receives visits from in home nurses and sitters. She legitimately has no choice to be exposed. So prior to vaccination, I hoped to God that her nurses and sitter weren’t engaging in high risk behaviors (no masks in public,bar visits, indoor dining, etc. )

that’s not even examining the mental costs for those who have the means and circumstances to shelter in place . My friend has cystic fibrosis. He before vaccination was in his house the majority of a year; and so were his parents. Grocery delivery, work from home, and car ride “vacations” were the norm. He got very depressed. Yes he made the choice to protect himself. But it came at great cost to his mental well being
It’s pretty much impossible. This isn’t HIV where there are very obvious ways you can avoid the virus. The high risk could only “protect themselves” by completely isolating. That means not working, not seeing any family or friends and basically not leaving their house. Even then what If they need to see a doctor? There are still times you have to go out in public. On the family front, what if you are 45 with a comorbidity but also the father of 4 kids. Do you isolate in your basement alone or go get a studio apartment and just stop seeing your kids and wife for over a year? Do you force all 4 kids and your wife to isolate too and not leave the house? If so and you and your wife can’t work from home how do you pay the bills? What if you are a single parent without a spouse or both parents have a comorbidity? Just make the kids isolate too? It’s way too easy to just picture an 80+ year old isolating at home but the high risk aren’t just retired elderly people. But we’ve been through all of this.

Nubs70

Point is to take a risk assesment of your situation and act in your self interest. Do not rely on others to act in your self interest.

My job is outside sales. I drive over 4000 miles per month and am in hotels at least 8 nights a month. I was only in the bunker for the first 2 weeks of this pandemic back in March 2020. I am Type II. In December I was out for 2 weeks for removal of squamous cell carcinoma. My wife is a nurse on the front line. I well know the risks of Covid and am around the risk everyday more than most.

Everyday I assess risk and act in my own self interest. I do not rely on others to act in response to my own comorbidities.

Heppenheimer

Also, the article you posted also mentioned developmental disabilities as a comorbidity with one of the worst outcomes for COVID-19 cases. So, I guess I should tell my son with Down's syndrome that he's on his own?

Nubs70

Also, the article you posted also mentioned developmental disabilities as a comorbidity with one of the worst outcomes for COVID-19 cases. So, I guess I should tell my son with Down's syndrome that he's on his own?
No, you should assess the risk of your daily activities and act in the self interest of both you and your son.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Point is to take a risk assesment of your situation and act in your self interest. Do not rely on others to act in your self interest.

My job is outside sales. I drive over 4000 miles per month and am in hotels at least 8 nights a month. I was only in the bunker for the first 2 weeks of this pandemic back in March 2020. I am Type II. In December I was out for 2 weeks for removal of squamous cell carcinoma. My wife is a nurse on the front line. I well know the risks of Covid and am around the risk everyday more than most.

Everyday I assess risk and act in my own self interest. I do not rely on others to act in response to my own comorbidities.
People were acting to protect themselves as you describe, but others were also acting to protect you the whole time too. Peoole were wearing masks, people were distancing, people were avoiding large group gatherings, we had cardboard cutouts at MLB games all last Summer, etc, etc... The point is if we abandoned all Covid protocols from the start and let the virus rip (as some have suggested) you would have been a lot more likely to catch Covid doing what you needed to do for work and your wife would have been at a lot higher risk at work too.

Nubs70

I never said nor implied not to wear masks or take common precautions. Simply act in your own self interest. Plan on people not following precautions wherever you go either a bar, WDW, etc.

Do a risk assesment and act in your self interest. If the risk is too high, do not participate in that activity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That feels like a pretty large portion of people!

Yes it “feels” but it’s not the facts.

Remember when we were approaching 100,000 deaths from COVID in the U.S. and people were like, "OMG, that's a lot. That's horrible!"

Well, we're approaching 100,000 deaths from COVID amongst people with no comorbidities alone.

The *relative* lower risk of "normal, healthy, younger people" catches up to us all when the numbers are large.

Some people use this *relative* lower risk of "the healthy" to dismiss the severity of the pandemic.

If there were no vaccines and no COVID protocols (masks and distancing), the 100K deaths of those with no comorbidities would become much, much higher.

Everyone needs to find inner strength to persevere and and be patient and get vaccinated and continue safety protocols before another 100K "healthy" people die, or another 568K ordinary people die or another 3 million human beings on the earth die.

DisneyDebRob

We have done this a million times. The fact of the matter is the Covid pandemic has been hard on everyone. We have all been asked to restrict or limit our behaviors in various ways to protect ourselves but also to protect others. Some people don’t want to limit their behavior so they constantly try to find justifications why they shouldn’t have to. The “fat” argument is just more of the same. “I’m young and healthy and have taken care of myself so why should I have to limit my activities in any way to help save fat people who should have done more to help themselves”. Yeah, it sounds pretty harsh when laid out that way, but that’s basically what people are saying.
We have done this a million times and apologies to all who saw I posted this in another thread but it’s starting.. well not starting.. has been going down this road for weeks now. It fits.
How threads disolve sometimes into the same things then go back to the beginning.

Countdown to someone telling me this isn't Disney related.

Q: How many group members does it take to change a light bulb ?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

17 purists who use candles and are offended by light bulb discussions.

6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being jerks.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)

19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs

44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.

12 to post F.

8 to ask what F means.

7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

3 to say "can't share"

2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.

6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that (insert politician of choice) isn't the brightest bulb. This usually takes place within the first three comments.

50 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.

mmascari

Point is to take a risk assessment of your situation and act in your self interest. Do not rely on others to act in your self interest.
It's in my self interest to not have someone else breath on me.

Which of us has a better claim to standing in line at the grocery store, take-out counter, ride queue?

The guy behind me that's creeping up, mask under their chin, exhaling directly at me?
Do I have not have the same rights to stand in line and not be subjected to this abuse from them?

The cashier/attendant clearly has rights that neither of us should be breathing on them. Is there any expectation that someone should be able to be out in public without fearing that the someone else will be exhaling a pathogen directly at them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom