News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

wdrive

Like I’ve said before, Disney doesn’t WANT their CMs to resign right now, they’re understaffed and in need of people. Also, most jobs even at indoor locations have outdoor rotations: greeter positions, FP and strollers, etc. Rotations are generally on the shorter side for roles like attractions, but even then, you can pull the same rotation multiple times in a row and end up stuck outside the whole day. The only way you can avoid outdoor rotations is if you have a note from your doctor, and Disney doesn’t offer healthcare to PT CMs.

There’s a lot more at play here than I think some people are getting.

Then resign or move to merchandise or full service food and beverage or apply for some office job.

Or wear something that covers your tattoos.
Am I supposed to feel bad for them because they get too warm?

Lilofan

Like I’ve said before, Disney doesn’t WANT their CMs to resign right now, they’re understaffed and in need of people. Also, most jobs even at indoor locations have outdoor rotations: greeter positions, FP and strollers, etc. Rotations are generally on the shorter side for roles like attractions, but even then, you can pull the same rotation multiple times in a row and end up stuck outside the whole day. The only way you can avoid outdoor rotations is if you have a note from your doctor, and Disney doesn’t offer healthcare to PT CMs.

There’s a lot more at play here than I think some people are getting.
Not so fast.. The Parks cleaning custodial team rain or shine are out there and do not have the luxury of rotational duties.

celluloid

Not so fast.. The Parks cleaning custodial team rain or shine are out there and do not have the luxury of rotational duties.

There are rotation and different tasks too. I worked in both Custodial and Park Services and it had the most freedom of any department. Not the cushiest, but even in the most action that was Magic Kingdom South, it had the most freedom. You are not always on the same task. And with the heat or lightning safety never felt second.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Both parks underpay and overwork the everyday workers. Universal in particular couldn’t care less that I was left in real danger of being struck with rolling lightning with active on-site strikes mid-shin in water on a metal food vending cart. Also paid poverty wages. The executives in the ivory towers don’t want to fix *anything*.

el_super

Why was it ever important to the Disney company? I thought the reason we liked Disney was “the Disney difference” that included all sorts of small details that all added up to creating something special?

I do like the small details, but I think they have to be within reason and weighed against the potential negative impact they could have. To go back to the Jungle Cruise skippers, I am perfectly happy to sacrifice some historical accuracy in order to allow women and minorities an opportunity to play that role, because the comfort and happiness of the Cast Members is more impactful than the very small gain in accuracy that locking that role into a specific gender would grant.

So why not make the extension to tattoos or piercings: what is the difference between suspending disbelief when it comes to different genders/ages/races but not to tattoos and piercings? Why is that particular detail so important that we can't sacrifice it for some greater CM comfort?

To answer the first question, and to be honest, I don't really know what the original motivation for the Disney look was. I know a lot has been written about how important it was to maintain the image and brand, but not a lot on why particular looks were more on-brand than others. Obviously it has change a lot in the decades since it came about, so there has to be some flexibility in thinking something is important at one period and isn't later on.

Why is pointing with 2 fingers so important?

Is it?

Amidala

Then resign or move to merchandise or full service food and beverage or apply for some office job.

Or wear something that covers your tattoos.
Am I supposed to feel bad for them because they get too warm?

Your lack of empathy with this is honestly kind of disturbing. You know full well CMs in long sleeves and pants in 100+ degree FL humidity aren’t “too warm” they’re at risk of heat stroke.

And like I have said many, many times, plenty of CMs have quit for these exact reasons. Obviously Disney doesn’t share your priorities and would rather hold onto their CMs than see them quit over an easily remedied triviality.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Sam realised there are far more important things, where do they work, I’ll be sure to fill in a compliments card next time ✌️
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

celluloid

Your lack of empathy with this is honestly kind of disturbing. You know full well CMs in long sleeves and pants in 100+ degree FL humidity aren’t “too warm” they’re at risk of heat stroke.

And like I have said many, many times, plenty of CMs have quit for these exact reasons. Obviously Disney doesn’t share your priorities and would rather hold onto their CMs than see them quit over an easily remedied triviality.

What do you think is more likely: they all of a sudden cared more and know long haircuts on men will help heat stroke prevention, or they are desperate for workforce with 30,000 program numbers not coming back any time too soon?

Last edited:

wdrive

If they raised wages it would probably fix the issue.
If something bothered you that much at your job you’d leave. I don’t think that’s a lack of empathy saying that, just common sense.

el_super

I guess what this really gets at to me is still the idea that a CM's individual "self-expression" is suddenly more important in the eyes of the modern Disney exec over maintaining what came before, simply because its __________ (fill in the blank calendar year).

There are many examples of Disney Look changing over time, so what makes this different from any of the changes that occurred before? Which version of Disney is the version worth maintaining? The 1955 version or the 1974 or 1995 or 1998 version?

We probably won't agree on this, and that's OK.

It is OK. I don't think any of us have any power to change the decision making at Disney so it just is what it is. In part, getting older is learning to accept when the new generation comes in and starts making their own rules, even if you don't necessarily agree with them. Not much else you can do really.

wdrive

Yeah. People need incentive to want to work there. The options are:

1. Increase pay so you can be pickier about who you hire.

2. Relax the restrictions so you have a wider range of "talent" to choose from.

They're going with number 2.

And number 1 would be the best option all round, for cast and guests.
2 is better for the bean counters.

CosmicRays

If we're going to care this strongly about Disney employees' "roles", then really we should be complaining about every CM that isn't performing on the level of First Order CM's at RotR. The fact is 90% of your CM interactions will be unthemed, so why does it also matter if they have a tattoo?

It is, quite frankly, honestly pretty ridiculous to expect people who are already doing so much more and putting up with so much more for the pay rate to also be "performing" at all times to the point where they're not allowed to be themselves. CM's choose to work at Disney, any of them could get another similar paying job that allows them to do comparatively nothing for the same pay rate or higher. If the company refuses to adapt to the times, people have less and less incentive to want to work there over an easier job.

Absolutely the truth. I would much rather have a happy cast member than one who is made to feel inadequate. And when an employee feels they can be more themselves in my experience over the past 20 years in the workforce I can say that employee works harder and is genuinely better to be around because they feel that they matter. Even something simple as allowing a beard.

denyuntilcaught

Why was it ever important to the Disney company? I thought the reason we liked Disney was “the Disney difference” that included all sorts of small details that all added up to creating something special?

Why is pointing with 2 fingers so important?
Because in many cultures pointing with one finger is rude. So what you presented is a false equivalency - you're comparing a gesture and direction that is notably rude to certain populaces with something like a discreet but visible tattoo that you'd have to look hard to find, then jump through the mental hoops to justify as being offensive.

Mac Tonight

There are many examples of Disney Look changing over time, so what makes this different from any of the changes that occurred before? Which version of Disney is the version worth maintaining? The 1955 version or the 1974 or 1995 or 1998 version?

It is OK. I don't think any of us have any power to change the decision making at Disney so it just is what it is. In part, getting older is learning to accept when the new generation comes in and starts making their own rules, even if you don't necessarily agree with them. Not much else you can do really.
I'm in my early 30's and I just want the parks to be time-locked to how they were in the early 90's. Is that too much to ask?!?! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom