News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Tom Morrow

You'll be happy to know that none of that will be allowed. Please read the friendly manual...

I honestly can't fathom why anyone who actually reads through this would still be angry. I guess maybe they want to be outraged at something?

Back in 2012 the same people probably threw a fit over the decision to allow facial hair, and I guarantee that doesn't even register to them now as a thing to care about.

Gringrinngghost

Your starting to get it.

Whether and MBA or cast member, you play a role in duty and appearance that is dictated by corporate guidelines. When "not on the clock", both can let their freak flag fly. That sounds like inclusion.
Again with the condescending attitude. You do know that there are uniforms that don't have the luxury to hid ones tattoos and honestly who cares that the concessions cast member who give you your overpriced ice cream bar has one that's visible. That tattoo isn't detrimental to the taste of the bar and nobody was injured from that indirectly from that is unless they are so shallow that one can't drown in their puddle.

Your idea of inclusion is that everyone has to follow company guidelines no matter how backwards they are because they can be themselves off the clock. If we follow your logic, then teachers should not be fired because they sell nudes when they are not physically in the building yet they are. Here is a piece of inclusion advice for you, call a stock holder quorum and vote Josh D'Amaro out because of the tattoos., they would laugh you out because he makes money just like that CM that sells you your ice cream bar.

Nubs70

??? In what way are tattoos a safety liability for CMs working a cash register.
Both are examples of job specific requirements that are outlined in hygiene and appearance requirements as prescribed by the employer. Although you would have to look very closely at one of the examples.

el_super

If it's up and down their exposed arms... you'd notice.

So what exactly offends you so much about the idea? Is it the scale of the tattoo? The amount of skin it covers? Or the theoretical content of the tattoo? What it depicts? Or do you carry this perception that a person with a tattoo is unclean or foreign or broken in some way? What's so distracting about it?

Amidala

Your starting to get it.

Whether and MBA or cast member, you play a role in duty and appearance that is dictated by corporate guidelines. When "not on the clock", both can let their freak flag fly. That sounds like inclusion.

Is wearing red nail polish and having a visible tattoo the size of your palm really "letting your freak flag fly" to you?

This is just epistemological sophistry. Judgement calls have to be made all the time.

When does a guest's revealing clothes become too revealing that they're barred entry?

When does a guest's T-shirt logo or slogan become too offensive to allow into the park?

CMs at the entrance have to make that judgment call all the time.

Some of the 'new look' has clear standards: Earrings -- maximum of two and no bigger than X inches.

Some of the 'new look' is based on judgement calls. When are tattoos 'too much'? Only general guidelines are given that can not be boiled down to "X square inches of coverage, and here's a list of a thousand things it can be and a thousand things it can't be."

Just like entrance CMs don't measure the ratio of bikini top to square inches of revealed breast to make a judgment call that a top is too revealing, you don't need anything more than the general guideline "no bigger than your hand."

CMs have to make a judgment call over what they then have to cover or not. Their supervisors then have to give them feedback on whether they chose correctly.

Boiling this down to "tats everywhere or no tats at all" is way too black and white and ignores the judgment calls we have to make all the time.

100% to all of this

TrainsOfDisney

I honestly can't fathom why anyone who actually reads through this would still be angry. I guess maybe they want to be outraged at something?
I’m not angry. I think in some places the “Disney Look” is being relaxed too much. This includes facial hair standards, hair standards, visible tattoos, and jewelry.

I think it’s another decline by degrees just like the exposed attraction warehouse buildings, Hilton like tower hotels, and many other decisions being made.

Mac Tonight

So what exactly offends you so much about the idea? Is it the scale of the tattoo? The amount of skin it covers? Or the theoretical content of the tattoo? What it depicts? Or do you carry this perception that a person with a tattoo is unclean or foreign or broken in some way? What's so distracting about it?
Wow, you really pegged me good. I 100% obviously see tattooed individuals as "unclean", "foreign", and (my personal favorite) "broken". You know me so well!

It's clear we'll get nowhere with this, so pleasant day, sir. Don't trip over any platitudes or anything.

MickeyLuv'r

Evoking the 1950s for a piece of filmed production is one thing, but at the end of the day, Cast Members aren't paid actors.
Then what is a Cast Member?

How do you define the word cast in their job title, if you don't define it to mean, "the actors taking part in a play, film, or other production?"

[Surprisingly, 'cast' has quite a few definitions:
1. has to do with throwing - like cast a stone
2. has to do with cast metal
3. a search made by a pack of hounds
4. the dirt worms expel when they dig a hole
5. a squint in one eye
6. a plaster bandage
Plus a few more!)

Mac Tonight

I would notice and if I liked the tattoos, I would compliment them on it.
tenor.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh, I'm understanding what is trying to be said... It was just an extremely poor analogy. Comparing people's appearance to trash on the ground makes literally no sense... If you had said something along the lines of "Imagine actually caring if someone was dressed up as an astronaut in Frontierland" as your basis, that would make sense. The one you chose, does not. Those are two ENTIRELY different subjects that do not relate to each other like. At all.

It makes no sense because I guess you don't understand how analogies work? The things drawn are PARALLELS - not EQUALS.

The thought process highlighted by the example is the same.. not that the things themselves are the same. That's what an analogy is.
The costumes in Frontierland cite is not an analogy, it is an EXAMPLE of why costumes matter... and would have nothing to do with the discussion here or the strawman being called out.

You literally missed the illustrative method in use.

The analogy works because they are both examples of small things that contribute to the Disney difference... things that work as a whole series of small steps that add up to superior experience Disney established. No one small thing alone results in the hypothetical "my Disney Experience was ruined" scenario... but that doesn't mean individually those pieces aren't important.

el_super

Wow, you really pegged me good. I 100% obviously see tattooed individuals as "unclean", "foreign", and (my personal favorite) "broken". You know me so well!

It's clear we'll get nowhere with this, so pleasant day, sir. Don't trip over any platitudes or anything.

It was a simple question and I sincerely want to know the answer. I am suspecting that a lot of people don't really have a good answer to the question, and that's why these discussions aren't going anywhere. If they are, even partially, reliant on this notion that tattoos are just inherently bad, without any justification, then why should 'they're just wrong' be justification for discrimination against Cast Members?

It seems like such a simple question that seems to be unanswerable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn’t hop around or mash up size with appropriation. If tattoos are fine then size and location should not matter.

You did right there. The standard already defines references for size and content with regards to 'appropriate' or not. You are adding in your own requirements that try to redefine what appropriate is... including that size and location don't matter.

Their definition isn't flawed - you just have a different view of what it should be.

TrainsOfDisney

Buy why? Why is it seen as a negative to have a tattoo?
It’s not. CM’s with tattoos have been hired for many years, but they weren’t allowed to show them while on stage. I feel like tattoos, jewelry, and more extremes of hair and facial hair can make cm’s Look less professional and less uniform.

Many of the new uniforms do the same thing. I can’t stand the casual Guest Relations uniforms for example.

It’s not one thing... it’s a stack of little details that make the Disney difference.

Gringrinngghost

Then what is a Cast Member?

How do you define the word cast in their job title, if you don't define it to mean, "the actors taking part in a play, film, or other production?"

[Surprisingly, 'cast' has quite a few definitions:
1. has to do with throwing - like cast a stone
2. has to do with cast metal
3. a search made by a pack of hounds
4. the dirt worms expel when they dig a hole
5. a squint in one eye
6. a plaster bandage
Plus a few more!)
A cutesy word created by Walt and Co for not use team member.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom