News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

el_super

I'm thinking the topic of the thread is mundane to the point that it probably wouldn't have generated much traffic just a few years ago, but now the members of this forum are at each others' throats over this. As another thread recently pointed out, the level of civility on this forum has greatly diminished, and that's just not healthy.

This is mostly just perception I think. I can remember outrage when the Disney Look was changed to allow cornrows and mustaches. Pretty much the same arguments then too.

Gringrinngghost

Yes, but the recent Disney+ series WandaVision went to great lengths to re-create the 1950's look, as outlined in the Assembled series that followed. Wanda Vision spent a great deal of money trying to authentically and accurately recreate the 1950's.

Even the live audience sat in 1950's style chairs, while doing their best to wear 1950's style clothing.

In short, Disney has no problem with evoking the 1950's, and this is just about the most recent show Disney has created.

I'm thinking the topic of the thread is mundane to the point that it probably wouldn't have generated much traffic just a few years ago, but now the members of this forum are at each others' throats over this. As another thread recently pointed out, the level of civility on this forum has greatly diminished, and that's just not healthy.

We can choose to see every post in the worst possible way, or we can choose to be a little kinder to each other.

WDW is supposed to = fun.
Evoking the 1950s for a piece of filmed production is one thing, but at the end of the day, Cast Members aren't paid actors.

I think a false dichotomy is being created here to suggest that somehow "more self-expression" will automatically equal "better customer service".
Look at it from this perspective. Would you rather hire someone who you would know for the position is completely incompetent or would you rather hire the person who you know would be extremely competent for the position that has a little ink instead of making a polarizing judgement that makes them work backstage.

Nubs70

1618422186385.png

Nubs70

Evoking the 1950s for a piece of filmed production is one thing, but at the end of the day, Cast Members aren't paid actors.

Look at it from this perspective. Would you rather hire someone who you would know for the position is completely incompetent or would you rather hire the person who you know would be extremely competent for the position that has a little ink instead of making a polarizing judgement that makes them work backstage.
We are all paid actors no matter our profession.

Employers hire and retain employees that are competent and fit their respective role

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, as a former CM, would you have gotten tatted up and dyed your hair purple if these standards existed back then?

And how would that help the show as you dispatched pirate boats at Peter Pan's Flight or narrated a tour through the canals of Storybook Land?

How does tats and purple hair and black fingernails improve the Disneyland show exactly?
You're posting utter foolishness in this thread because you didn't bother Reading The Friendly Manual...

Those things that are causing your fainting spells are still not allowed.

Amidala

Understaffed or “more efficiently” staffed?

This all gets to the question of costuming. Is the role of a Cast Member to fill a role or express themselves? Are you supposed to notice the designed environment or the employee’s jewelry?

I think this assumes a CM can't simultaneously fill a role and express themselves (to a reasonable degree). Even before the policy on jewelry was modified (2+ years prior to this latest update iirc), there were exceptions: religious jewelry, engagement and wedding rings, etc. If these things don't detract from the guest experience, why should my grandmother's necklace? You could go back and forth on these kinds of specifics all day. Yes, a POTC CM's blue nail polish is contradictory to the theme, but so are the black sneakers they got from Walmart, which have been Disney Look compliant at that location for decades. Should they be wearing period accurate boots? Where do you draw the line? For every careful detail Disney adds to an environment to make it seem authentic, there are a hundred more that could potentially break immersion.

These are glorified hourly customer service jobs, and at the end of the day, CMs are real people with lives who deserve to feel comfortable in their own skin while on their feet for long hours, sometimes seven days a week. Disney Look isn't going anywhere, it will always require CMs to be well groomed and presentable, and extreme body modifications, makeup, etc. still aren't permitted and won't be anytime soon. Despite all the fear mongering, this is not a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to CMs in Liberty Square looking like Hot Topic employees. It's a very simple, reasonable adjustment, and I'm honestly pretty shocked by the outpouring of negativity from fans.

Gringrinngghost

Employers hire and retain employees that are competent and fit their respective role
That's why some people have to transfer to other departments within their first few weeks at a venue because they are not competent for that position... happens ALL the time at the parks.

Edit: And yes, I have interviewed along side people for the same position that because they had tattoos they were subjected to Back stage in the parks, and a parks friend of mine who can't get tattoos on their arms so they got their back done because of their uniform...

We are all paid actors no matter our profession.
I was talking about Actors in the arts, not participants.

jayb2190

Exactly. “You’ll love vacationing at Disney because Disney is great because of all the little details”

*slams breaks*

you’re gonna let a little detail ruin your vacation? Something must be wrong with you!
So you go on vacation to Disney to check out the facial and skin aesthetics of CM? You sound like you're super fun to be around

Nubs70

I think this assumes a CM can't simultaneously fill a role and express themselves (to a reasonable degree). Even before the policy on jewelry was modified (2+ years prior to this latest update iirc), there were exceptions: religious jewelry, engagement and wedding rings, etc. If these things don't detract from the guest experience, why should my grandmother's necklace? You could go back and forth on these kinds of specifics all day. Yes, a POTC CM's blue nail polish is contradictory to the theme, but so are the black sneakers they got from Walmart, which have been Disney Look compliant at that location for decades. Should they be wearing period accurate boots? Where do you draw the line? For every careful detail Disney adds to an environment to make it seem authentic, there are a hundred more that could potentially break immersion.

These are glorified hourly customer service jobs, and at the end of the day, CMs are real people with lives who deserve to feel comfortable in their own skin while on their feet for long hours, sometimes seven days a week. Disney Look isn't going anywhere, it will always require CMs to be well groomed and presentable, and extreme body modifications, makeup, etc. still aren't permitted and won't be anytime soon. Despite all the fear mongering, this is not a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to CMs in Liberty Square looking like Hot Topic employees. It's a very simple, reasonable adjustment, and I'm honestly pretty shocked by the outpouring of negativity from fans.
Reminds me of an argument with an electrician who was very proud of his Price Albert.

His job duties routinely had him in close proximity to 24KV electrical service. His "ornament" is a documented liability in the event of an arc flash. He could not "express" himself while conducting his duties.

Nubs70

That's why some people have to transfer to other departments within their first few weeks at a venue because they are not competent for that position... happens ALL the time at the parks.

Edit: And yes, I have interviewed along side people for the same position that because they had tattoos they were subjected to Back stage in the parks, and a parks friend of mine who can't get tattoos on their arms so they got their back done because of their uniform...

I was talking about Actors in the arts, not participants.
I've seen executives, near 7 figure income, outside of work. Did a double take as he has full sleeves right to 2" above the wrist.

el_super

I think that Disney should just have amended the policy without feeling the need to tell the world. Most of us probably wouldn't have noticed anything had changed.

I think people here are focusing a lot on the little minor details about tattoos and finger nails and really missing the bigger picture. Disney is adjusting a decades long practice to be more inclusive and welcoming to people, and I don't see why that shouldn't be celebrated and announced. They have every right to be proud of that.

jayb2190

At the end of the day, if the girl handing you your ice cream bar has a tattoo on her arm, or the guy doing safety check Tower of Terror has a beard truly ruins your experience, maybe you should just stay at home and never venture out into the real world. This will most likely be unnoticeable unless you're actively looking to be ed off by it, and again, Disney is not going to let people work unkempt to the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom