News 2021 EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm reminded of when ABC (another Disney company!) had great success with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. At the time, the network was struggling and they found a hit. So they put it on 4-5 nights per week!!
And then... after a few weeks/months of 4-5 nights per week, the audience disappeared.

The "success" of Epcot Festivals is they are "special" events that get guests to feel a certain sense of urgency. Not, "it's the same stuff and I can go any time." But, "ahh..... a really special month with extra stuff, that's when I'll go."

All Regis...all the time

I remember it well. A++ analogy

castlecake2.0

Another reason for the long festival is staffing, all these cast working the festivals need their jobs. Usually the cast for festivals are CPs or redeployed from elsewhere, which isn’t possible right now, so the festival needs to run back to back to support the union agreement for all the cast that were called back to work on.

Amidala

finally getting some tlc?

its 26 years old. I think the novelty is well established/used

I mean, I'm not defending the decision to leave it in disrepair for so long. My point is that the main argument against festivals (at least to my knowledge?) was that they existed solely to distract guests from FW & allowed TDO to avoid investing the time and money necessary to improve the park. And now that's no longer the case.

Not saying it's timely, just that it's happening.

Another reason for the long festival is staffing, all these cast working the festivals need their jobs. Usually the cast for festivals are CPs or redeployed from elsewhere, which isn’t possible right now, so the festival needs to run back to back to support the union agreement for all the cast that were called back to work on.

Hadn't thought of that but it does make sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, I'm not defending the decision to leave it in disrepair for so long. My point is that the main argument against festivals (at least to my knowledge?) was that they existed solely to distract guests from FW & allowed TDO to avoid investing the time and money necessary to improve the park. And now that's no longer the case.

Not saying it's timely, just that it's happening.

that’s still happening...they’ve announced about “half” of a redo.

Clamman73

If they’re never gonna do anything in the Africa plot...might as well make another World Showplace and consolidate a bunch of booths and have an indoor and outdoor seating area...get some static traffic off the main path around the lagoon.

castlecake2.0

If they’re never gonna do anything in the Africa plot...might as well make another World Showplace and consolidate a bunch of booths and have an indoor and outdoor seating area...get some static traffic off the main path around the lagoon.
I was saying this the other day to some friends. If the new normal is going to be longer festivals, give guests a place to enjoy it that doesn’t clog up the main pathways. They have a nice area along the rose walk where you can pull off the path and eat at something other than a trash can which is great. I could see mores areas like this in parts of future world, and as you said, in the outpost area. I think people would be more ok with the longer festivals if they didn’t clog up the park so much.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Four months long??!?

Why not just make it a permanent aspect of WDW.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it will be occurring during my August trip.

But does WDW really think it will attract greater Epcot attendance when it's basically just a never ending event?

They certainly expanded F&W (+6 weeks) and Garden (+4) weeks during the pandemic.

Pre-pandemic, about 1/3 of the year had no festival days.

Pandemic years: only 1/10 of the year will have no festival days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I was saying this the other day to some friends. If the new normal is going to be longer festivals, give guests a place to enjoy it that doesn’t clog up the main pathways. They have a nice area along the rose walk where you can pull off the path and eat at something other than a trash can which is great. I could see mores areas like this in parts of future world, and as you said, in the outpost area. I think people would be more ok with the longer festivals if they didn’t clog up the park so much.

they sell more dispersed...and a central location would become a bar for millennials.

Basil of Baker Street

I hear ya. But I also like eating an egg roll while I'm in China, etc. If they were going to centralize it, may as well put it all in th World Showcase pavilion.

castlecake2.0

I hear ya. But I also like eating an egg roll while I'm in China, etc. If they were going to centralize it, may as well put it all in th World Showcase pavilion.
True, I was thinking more for the booths that don’t go with the pavilion, or it could be just a garden area themed to the pavilion with high tops and benches. I’ve enjoyed the tables they’ve placed around the UK pavilion a few months ago, if they could add more things like this around the park that’s be nice.

havoc315

Wasn't there a rumor a few weeks ago that Harmonious packages were being sold to Food and Wine sponsors? Does that suggest the possibility of Harmonious over the summer? (I'm not expecting it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom