News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daily Magic

Mask-free photos begin at Walt Disney World theme parks​

PhotoPass_Full_41624.jpg

In that photo in that situation it all looks good. Just look for people doing this during rice queues, on rides, or in places where social distancing isn’t possible. This makes it a very slippery slope for enforcement and the wiggle room for people to say the policy isn’t clear enough.

Monkee Girl

Some people don’t seem to understand the concept of personal space. Kids, I can tolerate more. But when adults are physically touching me in line, it is infuriating.
Agree. It's one of the VERY FEW benefits to Covid that I have seen. before this, if I was in line at a store (Wawa specifically) the cashier would still be holding my change when someone behind me would be up my butt with his/her coffee in my face leaning over counter to pay. I hated it sooo much! I don't need a specific spot on the floor to dictate where to stand; I just hope it makes people more aware to mind someone's personal space.

Tom P.

Why do people have to be either living in fear of COVID or living in fear of a "piece of cloth?" Being dismissive doesn't further reasonable discussion.

When mask-wearing and social distancing were the only ways to protect against the virus, they were both reasonable and effective. As more people get vaccinated, they will still be reasonable because there's no way to tell who is vaccinated and who is not. But their effectiveness is decreasing.

When you have an unvaccinated person ordering food from an unvaccinated server, masks provide some degree of protection even in light of the limited contact. But when you have a vaccinated diner ordering from a vaccinated server during a one-minute transaction, masks are not doing anything. It can be argued that requiring masks is reasonable based on the logistics of enforcement, but there is no question that their effectiveness is nil. I didn't think this would become an issue so soon, with most people still unvaccinated, but it looks as though it is.
I have a couple of perspectives on this, and I admit that my opinions on these things have evolved and changed during the course of the pandemic.

I am in the camp now who believes that masks in general are really quite pointless. I have watched the various studies and data that have come out. The CDC did a massive study from March through December of last year on the impact of masks. Their own data showed that, at best, masks decreased spread by 1.8%. At best. And that's coming straight from the CDC. So I personally would have no issue if everyone threw the masks away today.

However, I am also in the camp who thinks it is absolutely absurd that the masks became some sort of cultural, political, and ideological fight over the past year. And so when there is a rule in place that a mask must be worn, I wear a mask. And I think other people should do the same. Even if you think masks are worthless, we should be able to be respectful of the rules and one another. Going into Walmart to buy a gallon of milk is not the time to get into a fight over mask-wearing. If someone feels that strongly about it, call Walmart's corporate office or your governmental representative and voice your opinion. (I'm just using Walmart as an example.) But let's stop with the warfare over such stupid issues as wearing or not wearing masks.

homerdance

From Disney's perspective, they could realistically do it now. The response to any pushback would be "The vaccine is available nationwide. If you've been vaccinated and are still afraid, you should stay at home until you're no longer afraid."

Kids under 16 are currently not eligible for any vaccine, so no kids at Disney doesn't seem like a workable idea.

Actually, it is indeed true that they could open themselves up to liability, there are various sites that have the information about it. But, the letter of the law does seem to read that any private company that requires a vaccine that only has emergency authorization can be held legally liable for the damages a person suffers from the vaccine. There is absolutely no doubt that this applies to employees, basically if a company requires you to get the COVID vaccine (or any treatment that only has emergency authorization and not full approval) to continue working there, they are liable for all damages. The slightly gray area is does this also apply if a company requires a customer to get the vaccine in order to continue being a customer, are they liable? This is why I said they could be opening themselves up to liability and didn't say the definitely would. It isn't something that a court case has been decided on with it yet, but there are some currently in the works.

This isn't something that has been explicitly written, as no one would ever have thought that companies would try to require their customers to show proof of vaccines, especially ones with emergency authorization. So, it will be interesting to see what side the courts come in on this in the end, but the point is valid that they could be in for a world of hurt if they try and I just don't see Disney opening themselves up to that mess.

Did you get this from facebook? or Alex jones? Any real sources?

aliceismad

I hear the Cruse lines are happy w/ their bookings -- I imagine Disney's biggest issue would be children as currently there is no vaccine for anyone under 16.
Our of curiosity, where did you hear this? A lot of cruisers still have money tied up with the cruise lines because when the pandemic first hit, the cruise lines offered an extra percentage if they could keep customers' money for cruises being canceled rather than refunding it. A lot of people have rebooked or will rebook, but there's fewer deposits coming into the cruise lines. Not to mention that most cruise lines (Disney is an exception) makes more money off booze and gambling than the actual cost to sail.

Royal and NCL have both said the cruisers under 18 would need a negative covid test, I believe. No word from other major cruise lines that I have seen.

cmwade77

The letter of what law?
Federal law that grants the FDA authority to allow for emergency authorizations. Without it, the whole system falls apart. As I said, there are court cases already filed, we shall see what happens long term.

Chi84

Premium Member
Federal law that grants the FDA authority to allow for emergency authorizations. Without it, the whole system falls apart. As I said, there are court cases already filed, we shall see what happens long term.
That’s one heck of a leap - jumping from the definition of an EUA to saying an employer who requires a vaccine or a business that requires a vaccine passport can be held liable for personal injury damages resulting from the vaccine.

Dranth

Not that Disney is going to require it either way but I don't believe this is correct. If anything, the opposite would be true. The emergency authorizations release the manufactures of the various vaccines from any liability so, a private company being liable for something that the government has already said you can't sue over seems far fetched at best.

cmwade77

Kids under 16 are currently not eligible for any vaccine, so no kids at Disney doesn't seem like a workable idea.

Did you get this from facebook? or Alex jones? Any real sources?
They are real sources; however, they are political sites, so I am not linking them here, instead I will suggest doing a google search and you will find the information.

cmwade77

Not that Disney is going to require it either way but I don't believe this is correct. If anything, the opposite would be true. The emergency authorizations release the manufactures of the various vaccines from any liability so, a private company being liable for something that the government has already said you can't sue over seems far fetched at best.
No, it only releases the vaccine manufacturers from liability, if an employer required the vaccine, they open themselves up to liability.

cmwade77

That’s one heck of a leap - jumping from the definition of an EUA to saying an employer who requires a vaccine or a business that requires a vaccine passport can be held liable for personal injury damages resulting from the vaccine.
Not my leap, that is the leap that various lawsuits already in progress are claiming. Again, why I said it could happen and why Disney would likely be very hesitant to require proof of vaccine, at least until the cases are settled.

Proof of vaccines pose a lot of other issues as well, including privacy concerns, which is why we are seeing more states banning vaccine passports to some degree or another.

homerdance

They are real sources; however, they are political sites, so I am not linking them here, instead I will suggest doing a google search and you will find the information.
I did google it, and no such legal theory exists from any reputable source. Requiring proof of vaccine to enter disney world, or any private business, does NOT in anyway make them liable for any side effects of the vaccine, which are few and usually very minor.

DisneyCane

I have a couple of perspectives on this, and I admit that my opinions on these things have evolved and changed during the course of the pandemic.

I am in the camp now who believes that masks in general are really quite pointless. I have watched the various studies and data that have come out. The CDC did a massive study from March through December of last year on the impact of masks. Their own data showed that, at best, masks decreased spread by 1.8%. At best. And that's coming straight from the CDC. So I personally would have no issue if everyone threw the masks away today.

However, I am also in the camp who thinks it is absolutely absurd that the masks became some sort of cultural, political, and ideological fight over the past year. And so when there is a rule in place that a mask must be worn, I wear a mask. And I think other people should do the same. Even if you think masks are worthless, we should be able to be respectful of the rules and one another. Going into Walmart to buy a gallon of milk is not the time to get into a fight over mask-wearing. If someone feels that strongly about it, call Walmart's corporate office or your governmental representative and voice your opinion. (I'm just using Walmart as an example.) But let's stop with the warfare over such stupid issues as wearing or not wearing masks.
Walmart doesn't seem to require masks anymore where there is no State or local mandate.

DisneyCane

I did google it, and no such legal theory exists from any reputable source. Requiring proof of vaccine to enter disney world, or any private business, does NOT in anyway make them liable for any side effects of the vaccine, which are few and usually very minor.
I doubt they could be held liable but since no business (I'm not counting schools) has ever required any kind of proof of vaccination for entry before, it hasn't been tested in court. I could definitely see somebody who only gets a vaccine to enter a business and then has serious side effects that keep them out of work for a few days later suing the business for damages. It would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom