Jungle Cruise Update

el_super

It grew out of the Adventurers Club, right?

As best I understand it and recall: it started as a way of loosely connecting together all the lands ports of DisneySea. It was the overarching thing that related Davinci (Mediterranean Harbor), Capt Nemo (Mysterious Island), and somehow Indiana Jones (Lost River Delta). Once they added Tower of Terror to the American Waterfront, they added the Joe Rohde character into SEA and the whole thing kinda took on that meta tone.

When they got to Hong Kong's Mystic Manor, they added portraits as tribute to the imagineers who worked on the ride to the queue, linking them as associates of Henry Mystic. Joe Lanzisero is in there, and I even think at this point we can consider Danny Elfman a member of SEA.

Danny Elfman.

Mac Tonight

I wouldn't make that same leap. As you mentioned BTMRR is only linked to S.E.A in DL and MK, not the rest the Parks around the world. So why would you assume that this would be any different? In fact we know from the update made by Disney themselves that this backstory update only applies to DL and MK, not the rest of the JCs around the world.

So I think you're jumping to conclusions here.
For now... ;)

lazyboy97o

In a meta way it was meant to connect all the attractions, because the attractions were all created by WDI, and SEA was in part, a way of giving credit to some of the Imagineers at WDI. Like many other WDI projects, the "backstory" came about mostly as a way of explaining the simple in-universe credits being given out.
It was not initially about credits. The Kirks are not primary characters and Joe Rhode had no involvement in Tower of Terror.
It grew out of the Adventurers Club, right?
Not really. The Adventurer’s Club and the whole Merriweather Pleasure backstory that tied together Pleasure Island and Typhoon Lagoon was just sort of shoved in there after the fact. Another example of contradiction as Pleasure Island no longer exists and it’s story negated by the self-defeating Disney Springs backstory.

el_super

It was not initially about credits. The Kirks are not primary characters and Joe Rhode had no involvement in Tower of Terror.

Maybe it didn't initially start that way, but the exactly what it became as time went on. It was sort of an inside joke that gained way too much prominence due to the weird celebrity status some imagineers have received.

I mean seriously... Danny ELFMAN.

CaptinEO

Not quite sure why this S.E.A. stuff bothers me. I guess it has something to do with the fact that it feels so forced to create this corny, unnecessary overarching meta-ish back story connecting all of the Disney parks with cartoonified looking Jumanji meets Colonel Mustard characters. It comes across as trying to create some sort of interest or following in these characters in a very inorganic way. Anyway, as long as the stuff isn’t mentioned or referenced on the rides I can live with it. I don’t like the direction it’s trending though.

Now I gotta ask. Am I not the target audience at Disney parks anymore? How can I dislike so many things in a row? Or do the current people working at Disney just not get it? The plethora of Disneyland/ Disney parks history books sitting in my house seem to agree with me.
This post is so accurate. Jumamji meets Colonel Mustard is so genius and honest. I'm laughing way too hard.

CaptinEO

I've had a similar mental dilemma as of late. I have a huge Disneyland book collection, and I listen to various podcasts religiously. I've also spent more money then anyone should on various Disneyland memorabilia.

But then, I dislike almost every new addition or change that's made. At least in the last 5 years. And I'm like- there has to be a disconnect somewhere because it's weird to be such a huge fan of the brand but then to dislike almost everything the company does with it.

But, Disneyland without Splash Mountain or with an altered Jungle still has so much good- Main Street, the Railroad (even if I'll have to close my eyes as it goes through Frog Mountain), Space Mountain, Big Thunder, all of Fantasyland. It just won't be the same, and I'll be visiting far less then I have in the past.
The disconnect is from the Walt Disney Company, they are entirely disconnected from their own fanbase and the legacy of their company.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Lots of chimps being added to the ride, aren't there?
1617478216866.png

They are reflecting who is in charge of the company these days.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Both new chimp scenes are solid, though perhaps not particularly inspired. To quote George Lucas at the Galaxy's Edge opening, "It could have gone very bad, but it didn't" (often a relevant sentiment when Imagineering updates a classic attraction...).

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but the new chimp scene is kind of redundant, given the gorilla camp scene, right? Hopefully there's no talk of editing that scene; I'm a big fan of the gorilla with the revolver.

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom