News 2021 EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival

ToTBellHop

I enjoy the festivals. I don’t enjoy every festival becoming a food and drink festival.
I think the exception is Festival of the Arts (this year excepted). Flower and Garden isn't really about gardening anymore, unfortunately, so Food and Wine is basically March 1 through Thanksgiving, now. Hopefully, Festival of the Holidays will have its special entertainment return this year.

Amidala

all day, every day?

what makes it a “festival” then?

I mean for that matter, isn't a world's fair meant to be temporary?

I get that for people who go often or are FL residents. But for many of us who visit a couple of times a year or less, having them whenever we go is a net positive.

I'm a FL resident and I enjoy the festivals! I'll usually go to Epcot every few weeks and try different foods and festival events at my leisure, so it all stays pretty fresh for me.

I'm 100% in agreement that TDO has leaned on festivals in the past to pull guests' attention away from FW and avoid making the overhauls Epcot's been in dire need of for years. But now Epcot is getting some much-needed refurb, additional restaurants and attractions, AND we're still getting year-round festivals, which......to me, is the best of both worlds? I prefer the "snack and drink as you walk around" model to eating two full meals at a quick service location. It's a neat little way to sample something small from multiple countries without filling up. And the other festival perks (like the cooking seminars for F&W, the drawing classes and chalk artists for FotA, etc.) are all net positives for me.

I will say, the mask policy does make festivals a little less fun, since (obviously) you have to be stationary to drink and eat. I always end up feeling like I have to chug my drink and/or scarf down my food if other members of my party aren't trying something at the moment, otherwise they're just stuck waiting for me to finish. But then again, maybe by July it'll be a different story?

havoc315

Four months long??!?

Why not just make it a permanent aspect of WDW.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it will be occurring during my August trip.

But does WDW really think it will attract greater Epcot attendance when it's basically just a never ending event?

ToTBellHop

Four months long??!?

Why not just make it a permanent aspect of WDW.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it will be occurring during my August trip.

But does WDW really think it will attract greater Epcot attendance when it's basically just a never ending event?
They don't want the park slammed. They want people there every day as an alternative to the other parks. If there wasn't a festival, what reason would you have to go to Epcot right now? They don't even have the World Showcase entertainment.

TrainsOfDisney

I think the exception is Festival of the Arts (this year excepted). Flower and Garden isn't really about gardening anymore, unfortunately, so Food and Wine is basically March 1 through Thanksgiving, now. Hopefully, Festival of the Holidays will have its special entertainment return this year.
I remember when Flower & Garden festival didn’t have any food booths. :-/

Properly done, a few booths at flower and garden, festival of arts and festival of holidays are fine. They just seem to have over done it in my opinion.

Amidala

I'm still kind of confused as to what people have against the festivals now that FW is finally getting some TLC. Is it the initial crowds you guys are objecting to or the kiosks themselves??? Having a hard time understanding why fewer kiosks and fewer food options at the festivals would be seen as an improvement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm still kind of confused as to what people have against the festivals now that FW is finally getting some TLC. Is it the initial crowds you guys are objecting to or the kiosks themselves??? Having a hard time understanding why fewer kiosks and fewer food options at the festivals would be seen as an improvement.

finally getting some tlc?

its 26 years old. I think the novelty is well established/used

havoc315

June-November
January -February
March-June

what’s missing at this point?

I'm reminded of when ABC (another Disney company!) had great success with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. At the time, the network was struggling and they found a hit. So they put it on 4-5 nights per week!!
And then... after a few weeks/months of 4-5 nights per week, the audience disappeared.

The "success" of Epcot Festivals is they are "special" events that get guests to feel a certain sense of urgency. Not, "it's the same stuff and I can go any time." But, "ahh..... a really special month with extra stuff, that's when I'll go."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom