Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I do not believe this to be true. There is no scenario where a single depth POV will ever replicate an AR example.
whatever you say. I Have seen what I needed to see and have passed judgement on the ride- it stinks and is disappointing. all hype has died for this thing. no one is talking about it because Universal messed up.

Tom Morrow

I will never understand how someone can judge an AR experience without personal experience. It’s otherwise lazy criticism.

I get that it looks better in person. I'm assuming the characters don't jitter around randomly and maybe they're actually on the track. I'm sure they look 3D-ish and not flat. I highly doubt they look convincingly like they're there, though. AR technology isn't there yet.

I've provided in-depth criticism of this attraction that extends beyond "the AR looks bad" and "it needs speed." That series of tweets reads like kissing up for more work from Universal. "They were the first to do this." Okay, sure, but maybe this isn't what theme park goers want, and if it is, maybe it should have been saved for a theme that wouldn't have so many pre-conceived expectations going in.

champdisney

Quick question. How many of us plan to venture out to Japan to visit Super Nintendo World? Probably not many of us. I’m sure most of us, including myself are waiting for UOR’s third gate in order to experience Mario Kart and the rest of what Super Nintendo World has to offer.

I’m not one to check out POV ride-thrus because I don’t want to ruin any potential surprises. Even though the temptation is there to see it... having to wait 4 years to experience specific attractions already built elsewhere can be sort of a bummer but that’s where we’re at.

With Japan rightfully getting first dibs on Nintendo and now Hollywood developing its own, I think that this gives Universal the opportunity to make the attraction better for Epic Universe. Only time will tell.

Tom Morrow

No one watched a video of Rise of the Resistance or Hagrid’s before riding them and said “well, this is bad”. Because they’re not. Even though the screen elements of Rise look fake, and the set pieces in Hagrid’s are somewhat cheap. They still looked good though because they were exactly what everyone anticipated they would be.

Brer Oswald

No one watched a video of Rise of the Resistance or Hagrid’s before riding them and said “well, this is bad”. Because they’re not. Even though the screen elements of Rise look fake, and the set pieces in Hagrid’s are somewhat cheap. They still looked good though because they were exactly what everyone anticipated they would be.
It should be clear why nobody said that. Neither ride requires glasses with digital AR overlay. Both record super well with modern day cameras.

lazyboy97o

Quick question. How many of us plan to venture out to Japan to visit Super Nintendo World? Probably not many of us. I’m sure most of us, including myself are waiting for UOR’s third gate in order to experience Mario Kart and the rest of what Super Nintendo World has to offer.

I’m not one to check out POV ride-thrus because I don’t want to ruin any potential surprises. Even though the temptation is there to see it... having to wait 4 years to experience specific attractions already built elsewhere can be sort of a bummer but that’s where we’re at.

With Japan rightfully getting first dibs on Nintendo and now Hollywood developing its own, I think that this gives Universal the opportunity to make the attraction better for Epic Universe. Only time will tell.
Epic Universe is largely designed and permitted. They can enhance the AR imagery but it’s far too late to make significant changes to how the ride operates.

Brer Oswald

My only real gripe with the Mario Kart attraction is the lack of a show stopping Bowser animatronic in place of the screen Golem Bowser. Hardly a deal breaker, but with how much they play into the Mario Vs. Bowser dynamic, I think it would have been nice to see Universal go the extra step (and I’m sure it would have shut some mouths).

As for Yoshi, I agree that it is too short. I understand why it is short for the Japan footprint. It would be nice if they added an additional interior scene for the Epic Universe plot, but I’m not expecting it.

DavidNoble

I'm heading there next year and have decided to do USJ instead of TDR to check out Super Nintendo World.

champdisney

It’s so over saturated at this rate. 2 lands is enough. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the words “Fantastic Beasts” come out of anyone’s mouth aside from Epic Universe speculation.
Two lands and plenty of attractions dedicated to those characters. I like what they have currently. The only thing that doesn’t sit well with me is Universal’s willingness to create even more Harry Potter themed rides using new ride technologies or concepts when they already have more than enough, in which everyone for the most part loves them.

Why make more? Why Fantastic Beasts? Save those concepts for another IP. There’s plenty of them out there.

I'm heading there next year and have decided to do USJ instead of TDR to check out Super Nintendo World.
Nice!

Brer Oswald

Two lands and plenty of attractions dedicated to those characters. I like what they have currently. The only thing that doesn’t sit well with me is Universal’s willingness to create even more Harry Potter themed rides using new ride technologies or concepts when they already have more than enough, in which everyone for the most part loves them.

Why make more? Why Fantastic Beasts? Save those concepts for another IP. There’s plenty of them out there.

Nice!
I think there is a pretty big disconnect between the higher ups at Universal calling the shots, and the guests. They’re doing all of this investment in “flavour of the month” properties that have fleeting relevancy, like Fantastic Beasts, SLoP (which, that ride does look great), and Trolls. But apparently, they were hesitant with Pokémon, a franchise that has maintained popularity for 25 years, because they “didn’t want to put all of their eggs in one basket”?

It’s confusing. There’s a huge difference between Nintendo and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is one franchise. Nintendo is a company with multiple franchises, a few of which eclipse HP in popularity. I think they’ll “get it” soon enough.

lazyboy97o

I think there is a pretty big disconnect between the higher ups at Universal calling the shots, and the guests. They’re doing all of this investment in “flavour of the month” properties that have fleeting relevancy, like Fantastic Beasts, SLoP (which, that ride does look great), and Trolls. But apparently, they were hesitant with Pokémon, a franchise that has maintained popularity for 25 years, because they “didn’t want to put all of their eggs in one basket”?

It’s confusing. There’s a huge difference between Nintendo and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is one franchise. Nintendo is a company with multiple franchises, a few of which eclipse HP in popularity. I think they’ll “get it” soon enough.
They weren’t hesitant about Pokémon, they decided to move up Epic Universe. The Wizarding World is also just as old as Pokémon in the US, both having their first installments released in September 1998.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom