Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

correcaminos

Continuity of government is an essential function under the guidelines.
Yes, hence essential. Some hit both age and status at the same time lol
Can't disagree. I still think that the CEO of the company not getting the shot would give me pause (if I hadn't already decided to get it). That might not be an issue today with demand still outpacing supply, but soon enough we're going to be begging hesitant people to get it. And confidence shown from the start and from the top would be helpful.
Which is why those who were able to get it like VP Pence and elect at the time Harris and Pres Elect Biden got them. When the job or age allows, then yes. Otherwise using money or power privileges is looked down on by me. I look better on a CEO who doesn't jump a line unfairly.

correcaminos

24 hours post JNJ. No problems for me or my wife. Site of injection isn’t even sore for me. My wife’s shoulder is a smidge sore.
Fantastic news! I had friends in the trial near Cincy and so far they are waiting to hear. A few had zero side effects so hearing this may or may not help them figure out if they had real or placebo. Hope you both remain side effect (or mostly side effect) free!

CatesMom

Yes, hence essential. Some hit both age and status at the same time lol
More generally, the federal government is using its own allotment to vaccinate its workers; my husband, best friend, and several neighbors here in Northern Virginia have all gotten the shots through their respective federal workplaces.

Familyof5

If people want to be well informed...then go to real news sources. I go outside the US for news on the US.

Canadian CBC and British BBC are publicly funded and not run by for-profit "news" services like the US.
Always good to get a different perspective.

Clickbait....if you aren't paying for news, you are paying in other ways. The big search-engines, Facebook, Google, are collecting your search patterns and only feeding you "news" that reinforces your current perspective. Don't get your "news" this way.

Familyof5

Wow...can't believe anyone thinks the cure (vaccine) is worst than the disease (Covid). I guess they have never watched someone die of Covid as I have. And, young people do get Covid. So, get the vaccine and wear a mask to protect everyone's children; show that you care. Even if wearing a mask just says "I'm not sure if I need this but, I'm wearing a mask to tell you that I care about you, my 'neighbor', and not just me".

Millions of people in the UK have now been vaccinated, mainly elderly. They have led the way. Medical journal articles report that if you are vaccinated, you have a 80-100% chance of NOT getting severe disease or needing hospitalization. Side effects are minimal and their economy will be able to reopen. Surely, this should encourage all of us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow...can't believe anyone thinks the cure (vaccine) is worst than the disease (Covid). I guess they have never watched someone die of Covid as I have. And, young people do get Covid. So, get the vaccine and wear a mask to protect everyone's children; show that you care. Even if wearing a mask just says "I'm not sure if I need this but, I'm wearing a mask to tell you that I care about you, my 'neighbor', and not just me".

Millions of people in the UK have now been vaccinated, mainly elderly. They have led the way. Medical journal articles report that if you are vaccinated, you have a 80-100% chance of NOT getting severe disease or needing hospitalization. Side effects are minimal and their economy will be able to reopen. Surely, this should encourage all of us.
And the studies out of the UK and Israel have shown that the vaccine is at least 86% effective at preventing transmission of the virus so even if you aren’t scared of a virus or don’t think the virus is a big deal for you, getting vaccinated provides a very high level of protection that prevents you from spreading the virus to others as well. I think of it as a more effective tool than distancing and/or a masks at preventing spread and outside of a day or 2 of some minor discomfort it‘s much less disruptive to “normal life”. That’s not to say people should abandon the safety protocols today if they get vaccinated but that day will come soon enough if we all get vaccinated.

bdearl41

An
And the studies out of the UK and Israel have shown that the vaccine is at least 86% effective at preventing transmission of the virus so even if you aren’t scared of a virus or don’t think the virus is a big deal for you, getting vaccinated provides a very high level of protection that prevents you from spreading the virus to others as well. I think of it as a more effective tool than distancing and/or a masks at preventing spread and outside of a day or 2 of some minor discomfort it‘s much less disruptive to “normal life”. That’s not to say people should abandon the safety protocols today if they get vaccinated but that day will come soon enough if we all get vaccinated.
And this more than anything is how we get our lives back. These vaccines are amazing. The government and Fauci have been terrible in messaging the benefits. I’ll tell you for myself after getting vaccinated I’m literally not worried at all for me or my family.

correcaminos

An

And this more than anything is how we get our lives back. These vaccines are amazing. The government and Fauci have been terrible in messaging the benefits. I’ll tell you for myself after getting vaccinated I’m literally not worried at all for me or my family.
I'm still concerned for my family but not all have been vaccinated yet. I did feel safe hanging out with my dad (fully vaccinated) inside no masks though. I feel safe going anywhere and knowing my chances of spreading it are super slim

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
An

I can’t wait to get to that point. All of my elderly family members have gotten at least their first shots. I have an appointment for Thursday that hopefully won’t get cancelled again and I just need to get my wife in and my brother and mostly all of my adult family members will be done, I have a few cousins yet to go as well. I am hoping kids 12+ get approved soon too and my oldest son can go. That just leaves my 11 year old. I won’t be able to feel fully at ease until he gets his shot too. I really hope that’s before Sept so they can go back to “normal” school in the Fall.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm amazed at how many people have ACTUALLY skipped visiting with relatives for an entire year. We never even considered it, and my mother-in-law was going through chemo for half the year.

Separately, I wish some publication would go out on a limb and predict a real "back to normal" timeline instead of the most conservative possible estimate. I read one yesterday that predicted September but it was based on 1.2 million doses per day, two doses for everyone, no J&J supply bump, no accounting for existing population immunity, and the highest estimate of population immunity needed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm amazed at how many people have ACTUALLY skipped visiting with relatives for an entire year. We never even considered it, and my mother-in-law was going through chemo for half the year.

Separately, I wish some publication would go out on a limb and predict a real "back to normal" timeline instead of the most conservative possible estimate. I read one yesterday that predicted September but it was based on 1.2 million doses per day, two doses for everyone, no J&J supply bump, no accounting for existing population immunity, and the highest estimate of population immunity needed.
I didn’t skip visiting relatives completely. We did it less frequently but didn’t skip it. We did outdoor get togethers and wore masks. We did skip Thanksgiving and Christmas with the extended family that we would have normally done since cases were particularly high at that time. We did a lot of zoom get togethers and even a Zoom NYE party. It wasn’t ideal but we made do.

ToTBellHop

It is predicted in the land of reality (not epidemiological fantasy where we masks until there is no spread) that mask usage will reduce dramatically over the summer as mask mandates end. Largely ”normal” by fall unless the unthinkable happens.

CatesMom

I didn’t skip visiting relatives completely. We did it less frequently but didn’t skip it. We did outdoor get togethers and wore masks. We did skip Thanksgiving and Christmas with the extended family that we would have normally done since cases were particularly high at that time. We did a lot of zoom get togethers and even a Zoom NYE party. It wasn’t ideal but we made do.
We skipped, but our extended family is spread out geographically, so getting together would have meant travel, hotels, and other risks we collectively decided not to take. Plenty of Zoom calls here, too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There are just to many variables to make an accurate prediction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
We skipped, but our extended family is spread out geographically, so getting together would have meant travel, hotels, and other risks we collectively decided not to take. Plenty of Zoom calls here, too.
True. We haven’t seen my FIL who lives in FL since this started and we usually see him a few times a year. My MIL is in NY so is a day trip from PA and can be done without overnight stays but we still only saw that family a few times, probably half as often as we would have pre-pandemic. Moat of my family is semi-local so we could do short, outdoor visits and then go back home.

ToTBellHop

Doesn't mean we will return to normal in 3 months.
We shall see. I live in a very liberal state. In 3 weeks, the only restriction we will still have is masks. If 60% of Americans are vaccinated by 7/1, there will be zero political wherewithal to maintain restrictions. Not even the President is suggesting that we demand masks by summer.

You don’t win re-election on negativity. And the majority of state governors along with every House representative and 1/3 of Senators are up next year. They come in 2 flavors—1 flavor thinks this whole thing is a hoax and wants mandates gone yesterday. The other trusts science and is telling its supporters to get vaccinated ASAP. Once they are vaccinated, what do they say to their supporters? “Everything is good; I got us here; vote for me.”

Observe the California governor to watch this political maneuver.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom