News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

In looking at the photos again, I think it looks like a moderate resort room instead of a deluxe one -- outside of the bathroom, which is very nice, but as other people have mentioned the glass shower could be an issue for many guests if those are the only available sinks. It would be a potential problem for anyone that isn't staying with only their partner and small children.

I wonder if Disney just didn't consider that, or if the room designer tends to work on non-Disney hotels. It's not a big deal to have those showers in regular hotels, because you don't generally have friends or extended families all sharing a room together.

I personally don't think these rooms look like they're worth the deluxe hotel price and wouldn't want to pay the Polynesian rate to stay there -- standard rooms at Port Orleans look better and they cost a lot less -- but that's fine. Plenty of people disagree and they'll have no trouble keeping the rooms full.

Last edited:

Chomama

In looking at the photos again, I think it looks like a moderate resort room instead of a deluxe one -- outside of the bathroom, which is very nice, but as other people have mentioned the glass shower could be an issue for many guests if those are the only available sinks. It would be a potential problem for anyone that isn't staying just with their partner and small children.

I wonder if Disney just didn't consider that, or if the room designer tends to work on non-Disney hotels. It's not a big deal to have those showers in regular hotels, because you don't generally have friends or extended families all sharing a room together.

I personally don't think these rooms look like they're worth the deluxe hotel price and wouldn't want to pay the Polynesian rate to stay there, but that's fine. Plenty of people disagree and they'll have no trouble keeping the rooms full.
Exactly all of this. Same price gets you the four seasons.

HuffsAhoy

In the Parks
No
It looks absolutely stunning, way better than the dark almost dungeon-like feel the rooms had before. Judging by all the whining in this thread I was expecting something hideous like AoA rooms, but this is a home run. The Moana touches are subtle, tasteful, and add a nice Polynesian flair to the room. The bathroom is superb too, sleek and modern, just what a hotel should have.

Chomama

So everyone complained that Disney Springs looks too generic and not enough Disney characters but these rooms with subtle touches are too much Disney characters?
Yes! When I am out and about enjoying Disney atmosphere I prefer not to be at Levi’s and Vera Bradley. I want to enjoy the sight and sounds of Disney. Something unique. When I get back to my deluxe room with a unique immersive experience I want a break from
Sensory overload to recharge for more fun in the parks. It makes sense even if it isn’t your preference

UNCgolf

So everyone complained that Disney Springs looks too generic and not enough Disney characters but these rooms with subtle touches are too much Disney characters?

Different environments with a different purpose.

I don't think Disney Springs overall is too generic, though -- I think the World of Disney store is too generic. But it's not really because of a lack of characters.

Parker in NYC

The word subtle often means in the opposite when discussing Disney. Something that is clearly a focus that you are supposed to see is often described as “subtle”.
They used to call Disney's theme park and resort design "the art of reassurance". I'm certainly being reassured that the public will now pay exorbitant amounts of money for full-on tacky. The bathroom redesign is great, no question. But I expect more from Disney than slapped on characters everywhere. If I wanted to go to Tokyo Disney, I would. I mean, COVID notwithstanding.

Or, I'd go to a value/moderate like Art of Animation.

jaxonp

It looks absolutely stunning, way better than the dark almost dungeon-like feel the rooms had before. Judging by all the whining in this thread I was expecting something hideous like AoA rooms, but this is a home run. The Moana touches are subtle, tasteful, and add a nice Polynesian flair to the room. The bathroom is superb too, sleek and modern, just what a hotel should have.

Agreed!

I just looked up the AOA room as a refresher. Yikes. You can’t be taken serious if you don't see the difference between the two resort rooms. The new poly is more luxurious and more Disney. I’m confused what people want. Less luxury and more old dark drab musty rooms? I can’t believe how much attention that mural is getting. Lol

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Agreed!

I just looked up the AOA room as a refresher. Yikes. You can’t be taken serious if you can’t see the difference between the two resort rooms. The new poly is more luxurious and more Disney. I’m confused what people want. Less luxury and more old dark drab musty rooms? I can’t believe how much attention that mural is getting. Lol
How about more luxury at those prices and beautifully appointed updated rooms in the style and manner the resort was designed? How's that for the Disney touch?

Ah yes, merchandise. Disney+. Synergy. ::shudders::

EDIT: And side note, if you think this is a luxury room... Maybe at Disney but step out into the real world and you'd be shocked.

HuffsAhoy

In the Parks
No
Walt Disney World fans are what we call the unpleasable fan base. Most of the people complaining here are just bitter Disney continues to power through in the modern world and not stay stuck in 1971.

Parker in NYC

Walt Disney World fans are what we call the unpleasable fan base. Most of the people complaining here are just bitter Disney continues to power through in the modern world and not stay stuck in 1971.
Not true. But there are ways to enhance and evolve while doing things tastefully. Especially for the prices. Maybe if these rooms were $200 cheaper (you know, before discounts), I'd be more lenient. That goes for prices across the place. But folks will pay ANYTHING. So, most of us "unpleasable" fan are outnumbered. But still, even those lamenting Splash Mountain which is also adapting to the modern world will continue to go.

Club Cooloholic

It's ok. But to me it reminds more of a display booth at a conference. The lines are just a bit too clean for my taste when trying for a tropical transformative experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom