Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s official. FDA has granted EUA for the JnJ Covid vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder how fast J&J will go out. We have appointments this week for first dose, I'm guessing that's too soon to possibly get J&J. We'll find out soon enough.
What I read was the states could put in requests for JnJ today and the doses are being shipped 2 day by FedEx and UPS so they will in theory be available for injection by Wednesday of this week. They had about 4M doses ready to ship.

Edit: this says the doses are expected to ship Sunday night or Monday morning so I would guess to be safe they start booking appointments for Thursday or Friday at the earliest but we will hopefully see that big bump in doses by as early as next weekend.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I took my mother to a former Sears mega site covid site. Her appt was at 415pm and we showed up at 3pm. I asked the Army National Guard if we can wait inside. He was kind enough to say to come right in! We stood in line for 10 min and my mom got the shot by 315pm. After her sitting down being observed for 15min we were on our way home. She received her Pfizer first shot. The National Guard and RNs were professional and courteous. The 6 feet distance rule was strictly enforced by the National Guard. She received her next shot appt in 21 days. The RN advised with the J&J vaccine coming soon, the mega site will be ready for it in addition to the Pfizer shots being given out. What was interesting is that when I asked the RN assisting with the observation and scheduling of the patients for the second shot after getting the Pfizer shot today, about if he encountered any side effects from his shot, he advised he did NOT get the shot.

correcaminos

I took my mother to a former Sears mega site covid site. Her appt was at 415pm and we showed up at 3pm. I asked the Army National Guard if we can wait inside. He was kind enough to say to come right in! We stood in line for 10 min and my mom got the shot by 315pm. After her sitting down being observed for 15min we were on our way home. She received her Pfizer first shot. The National Guard and RNs were professional and courteous. The 6 feet distance rule was strictly enforced by the National Guard. She received her next shot appt in 21 days. The RN advised with the J&J vaccine coming soon, the mega site will be ready for it in addition to the Pfizer shots being given out. What was interesting is that when I asked the RN assisting with the observation and scheduling of the patients for the second shot after getting the Pfizer shot today, about if he encountered any side effects from his shot, he advised he did NOT get the shot.
Not sure I'd be working unless I had it myself. Could be they had covid recently too to prohibit them from getting. Glad it went so well for your mom.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The Mexican President is apparently calling Pres. Biden to ask for vaccine today. I’m sure they can have some of our AZ shots...might as well play nice with our neighbor.

Got my wife scheduled for Moderna #1 this Saturday and #2 4/3. All that’s left is for me to beg CVS to let me take a cancellation. Fingers crossed...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Mexican President is apparently calling Pres. Biden to ask for vaccine today. I’m sure they can have some of our AZ shots...might as well play nice with our neighbor.

Got my wife scheduled for Moderna #1 this Saturday and #2 4/3. All that’s left is for me to beg CVS to let me take a cancellation. Fingers crossed...
They just started up CVS in PA. It’s only at a handful of locations but I’m sure they will expand. Rite Aid had been getting all the extra doses sent directly to pharmacies but as that ramps up I think they need to expand it to others.

Lilofan

They just started up CVS in PA. It’s only at a handful of locations but I’m sure they will expand. Rite Aid had been getting all the extra doses sent directly to pharmacies but as that ramps up I think they need to expand it to others.
How are they going to administer shots at CVS in PA? Line up and wait in your car? There is barely enough room to stand in line at my local CVS

eliza61nyc

My college age nephew works at a pharmacy in SD. He was able to get his first dose on Saturday at the pharmacy and he told me they had to throw away three doses because they had no one to take them. It made me sad.
We had that issue in Philadelphia also. What happened when I went for my second shot was that people were not keeping their appointments so at the end of the day there were extra dosages. now I don't think they had to throw them away but they did put out an sos on the major radio stations saying anyone who wanted a shot should head on over.

MrHappy

They just expanded eligibility from 65+ to 55+ and K-12 educators here, so appointments are scarce.
Being a fellow nutmegger, do you know if a retail pharmacy is any better or worse at gaining an apt vs going through the state’s vams system? Would state run locations get more vaccines, or maybe the other way around?

Heppenheimer

We had that issue in Philadelphia also. What happened when I went for my second shot was that people were not keeping their appointments so at the end of the day there were extra dosages. now I don't think they had to throw them away but they did put out an sos on the major radio stations saying anyone who wanted a shot should head on over.
The local state-run vaccination site has started working with our hospital's outpatient clinics this way. If they have extra doses, they call us, and we scour our schedules that day for eligible candidates. They still need to be in the qualifying age group, however.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
How are they going to administer shots at CVS in PA? Line up and wait in your car? There is barely enough room to stand in line at my local CVS
I assume the same as Rite Aid. They administer the dose and then you have to wait 15 or 20 mins and then you can go. They tell you do not arrive more than 10 mins prior to your shot or you will be asked to leave and come back. I imagine there’s a limited number of people getting doses during each 15 min interval.

ToTBellHop

Being a fellow nutmegger, do you know if a retail pharmacy is any better or worse at gaining an apt vs going through the state’s vams system? Would state run locations get more vaccines, or maybe the other way around?
Look everywhere. I’ve seen appointments through VAMS, CVS, Yale, Hartford Healthcare, and UCONN. Of course, they are all likely filled up by now until they add more appointments. CVS only books a week out. The hospitals each require a MyChart account specific to the location, which is annoying.

VAMS is finicky, too. If you change the zip code, new options appear.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I posted this in the main Covid thread first but there is a Covid denier party going on there so will likely get buried in pages of the same debate.

So I got sick of waiting for the CDC update so This is potentially missing a day worth of data. Where we stand on the vaccine rollout: the yellow section at the top is actual data through February 28. We have officially started to vaccinate 15.5% of the population with 7.7% done as of the end of February.

The next table down in blue is projected March data based on manufacturer projections. I limited Pfizer deliveries to 100M even though they still say 120M. It just made the math cleaner and is probably more realistic. I rounded the Feb numbers to make the math cleaner as well. We know that we have roughly 25M people as of 3/1 who got 1 shot but not both so in the first 21 to 28 days of March they need their second dose. In addition I estimated 10M more people getting their first shot in the first 10 days of March for Pfizer and 3 days of March for Moderna will need their 2nd shot in March. That’s how I got to 35M second shots in March. Since JnJ is a one and done I count all JnJ shots as both shots done for simplicity.

As of 2/28 we are sitting on an inventory of unused shots. I am assuming as we go forward that as deliveries increase so will number of unused shots. Right now we have 11 days worth of shots in reserve and so if that continues but the average number of daily shots goes up then we should have more shots unused by 3/31. Going forward as deliveries stabilize the number unused should go down but to be conservative I’m keeping it constant.

The good news is by March 31 we would have 36% of the total population with at least 1 shot and almost half of all adults. Also we would have 120M people who at least got started and estimates are somewhere in the 150M range for people people in the phase A categories and assuming only 80% take the vaccine 120M will need to go before the vaccine is open to the general public. So if we hit the delivery and administration targets the vaccine should be open to the general public in early April at the latest.

Going down to the final green table with April activity we are assuming we cover the 40M who need the 2nd shot from March as well as 10M more from the beginning of April to get to 50M second doses. Assuming we hit the targets again, we will have 200M people at least started and 160M done by end of April which is 60% and 48% of the total population. In addition that means 80% of adults have started going or 71% of 12+ since there’s a good chance this opens to kids 12+ by April. Right now polling shows 71% of people will take the vaccine. If we hit these targets we will need to start kicking the tires to find additional takers sometime in May

6F3EC874-A1CA-45B3-B4E2-0BAEA74102A3.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom