Does Disneyland need a monorail...

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If they got rid of the monorail, then generations of future Bay Area kids will miss out on a childhood of being convinced that BART goes to DL. (You just have to get on the RIGHT train!)

Of course DL needs a monorail. Is this a question????
I am not from the bay area, can you explain what BART is?

DrAlice

I am not from the bay area, can you explain what BART is?
Bay Area Rapid Transit - commuter trains around (and under!) the bay.

1613885285933.png

TP2000

I distinctly remember my mom having a good laugh at my expense for thinking this. 🤣 For awhile I thought I was the only silly one. Later in high school, a random conversation with some friends revealed a whole bunch of us that grew up thinking the same thing!! I don't know how widespread the idea is, but I do know that there is one particular station in the East Bay that looks very much like the old "DL Hotel" monorail station used to look (before it was swallowed up by DTD). At least, it looked close enough to confuse a kid's brain.

That's hysterical, and I love it! 🤣

How bizarre that Bay Area kids would think that. You would think that Seattle kids would go there in their brains because they've actually had an Alweg monorail downtown since 1962, but when I lived in Seattle I never once heard anyone talk about the concept of taking the Seattle Monorail all the way to Disneyland.

monorail-at-century-21-seattle-world-s-fair-space-needle-in-background_u-l-p4335l0.jpg

But I still love that it was a thing in the Bay Area! If you know any young kids up there, try and convince them that's a possibility just to keep the cultural phenomenon going.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life (45 years), and 1000 feet from a BART track between the ages of 5 and 10, and less than 2 miles from a BART station now and have never heard anyone young or old compare BART to the Disneyland Monorail or imply it could travel there. I guess it's all about who you know.

I guess I can kinda see (by the stretch of the imagination) similarities, but I've never seen BART as more than a train on standard train tracks that travels on the ground....never as an elevated monorail.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life (45 years), and 1000 feet from a BART track between the ages of 5 and 10, and less than 2 miles from a BART station now and have never heard anyone young or old compare BART to the Disneyland Monorail or imply it could travel there. I guess it's all about who you know.

I guess I can kinda see (by the stretch of the imagination) similarities, but I've never seen BART as more than a train on standard train tracks that travels on the ground....never as an elevated monorail.
I guess it depends on where you lived, certain sections where the track is elevated overhead such as stretches near the Coliseum to a kid can look pretty similar to the monorail. Especially to a kid who probably doesn't know the difference between heavy rail elevated and elevated monorail systems.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I guess it depends on where you lived, certain sections where the track is elevated overhead such as stretches near the Coliseum to a kid can look pretty similar to the monorail. Especially to a kid who probably doesn't know the difference between heavy rail elevated and elevated monorail systems.
You were born and raised in the East Bay?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Nope, South Bay same time frame as you, but took the Fremont line for many years growing up and as an adult.
I lived in Hayward until I was 10 (1985) then moved to Milpitas and was there until I was about 23. Moved to the Palm Springs area for 6 years and got tired of the heat, so I then moved to the Manteca area in the central valley until about 2012 and came back to Milpitas where I've been ever since (parents stayed here all this time).

I went to more Oakland A's games than I can count when I was a kid, though we never took BART. I still never recall BART being likened to the Disneyland Monorail. 🤷‍♂️

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I lived in Hayward until I was 10 (1985) then moved to Milpitas and was there until I was about 23. Moved to the Palm Springs area for 6 years and got tired of the heat, so I then moved to the Manteca area in the central valley until about 2012 and came back to Milpitas where I've been ever since (parents stayed here all this time).

I went to more Oakland A's games than I can count when I was a kid, though we never took BART. I still never recall BART being likened to the Disneyland Monorail. 🤷‍♂️
Just for clarification I never said I personally saw BART as the Monorail, just that having grown up looking at and going over the elevated sections in the East Bay can see how a kid can get that idea.

NobodyElse

Bay Area Rapid Transit - commuter trains around (and under!) the bay.

View attachment 534026

I know somebody who was going to take her first ever BART trip from Oakland to the city with her more experienced friend. Said friend really hyped up the experience of traveling through a clear tube under the bay. Minutes later, one person was disappointed, and the other laughed and laughed...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom