Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel

F44F9532-28A5-4CCF-A5F6-E90C4B35F579.jpeg

TP2000

At this point, the cost of reopening won't be that astronomical. The rides are receiving cursory maintenance and anything that needed to be done to set them up for long term storage was done before November, when they realized they wouldnt be open until Spring.

The social distancing changes have been made. Markers are down throughout the parks. Seating adjusted, dividers added, queues remapped, sanitizer procured.

The biggest expense is going to be bringing back the cast. Mostly in retraining hours and a limited test and adjust period. I suspect they will have no issues in casting a limited capacity park at first. Things will get more expensive as they have to rehire and retrain more CMs as capacity is increased, but that wont be for awhile.

Seems to me the retraining thing is actually going to be a huge labor cost, and a logistics nightmare.

It will have been over a year since those CM's have worked those rides or operated those systems at shops and turnstiles.

I would imagine that's a retraining and restaffing process that will be measured in months, not weeks. It's like opening an entirely new theme park, except with triple the number of rides a new park usually has.

Travel Junkie

This isn't the first time I've seen someone accuse TP of not discussing topics in "good faith" and it doesn't make sense to me at all. I feel like out of the regular posters on here, he discusses topics in good faith more than most others.

A lot of people on here have first hand experience otherwise.
Just because I have a different opinion than you and dare to type that opinion online does not mean I am not here in good faith.

I'm sure you believe in a diversity of opinion, do you not?
I'm not positive it means what you think it means based on that comment. It's not about your point of view. I'm glad you often have a unique opinion. I enjoyed reading your comments when I first joined, especially when I didn't agree.

I doubt you even know my opinion on the matter.

Anyway, I only peeked back in see what the response was to Magic Mountain's tweet. My guess has been for a while that once the vaccine became readily available to everyone we would see everything open up quickly after. It was a bold move on Six Flags part to publicly declare an opening season, but they are probably correct in assuming this will occur unless something unforeseen happens.

TP2000

Anyway, I only peeked back in see what the response was to Magic Mountain's tweet. My guess has been for a while that once the vaccine became readily available to everyone we would see everything open up quickly after. It was a bold move on Six Flags part to publicly declare an opening season, but they are probably correct in assuming this will occur unless something unforeseen happens.

I would caution us on tying vaccination rates for LA County into the reopening plans for Magic Mountain.

LA County has 10.1 Million people. You'd need 15 Million shots into arms to get 75% of the county vaccinated. Currently, LA County has put 1.67 Million shots into arms. That's 835,000 county residents that have been fully vaccinated (obviously it's not and the second shot dose is lopsided, but let's just go with 835K).

For the past few weeks, LA County has averaged 300,000 shots per week. At that rate, it will take 45 weeks to administer 13.5 Million shots into LA County arms. That's late December, 2021.

If we instantly double the LA County administration rate today to 600,000 per week, it will take 22 weeks to administer 13.5 Million shots into LA County arms. That's early August, 2021.

Let's not forget, Magic Mountain may not reopen until LA County reaches the Yellow Tier with less than 1 Covid case per 100,000 residents; or less than 101 Cases per day in LA County. Today, 2,873 Cases were reported for this date in LA County. And Covid cases have already dropped by 70% nationwide in the last six weeks. The rate of transmission has been dropping like a rock since late December.

But getting down to 101 cases per day in LA County will still take a long time, if it's even possible since Covid-19 will be swirling around humans probably for the rest of time.

But for me, all that science and hard data says is that the current Guidance for reopening California theme parks in the Yellow Tier will need to be thrown out and replaced with something new, and something far less restrictive. Waiting around for 13.5 Million more Covid shots to be put into arms across LA County doesn't seem like the right timeline for Magic Mountain to reopen in "Spring, 2021".

Last edited:

TP2000

Although, you could also make a good argument that the average Magic Mountain customer is under age 40. It's mainly a young crowd at that park, heavily weighted to teens and twenty-somethings. So you really wouldn't need to worry about these young people mixing and touching handrails and such, based on who Covid kills and who it leaves with mild to non-existent symptoms.

So the broader vaccination rates for LA County wouldn't matter much, so long as the original Blueprint Guidance mandating the park stay closed until the Yellow Tier can be thrown out and replaced with something less restrictive.

CDC COVID-19 Survival Rates
  • Age 0-19 — 99.997%
  • Age 20-49 — 99.98%
  • Age 50-69 — 99.5%
  • Age 70+ — 94.6%

mharrington

Seems to me the retraining thing is actually going to be a huge labor cost, and a logistics nightmare.

It will have been over a year since those CM's have worked those rides or operated those systems at shops and turnstiles.

I would imagine that's a retraining and restaffing process that will be measured in months, not weeks. It's like opening an entirely new theme park, except with triple the number of rides a new park usually has.

If that's the case, then they might as well hype it up as if it was a new park. I wonder if @Disney Irish could maybe explain that, as it will surely take many months to reopen after cases do go down. And speaking of...

I would caution us on tying vaccination rates for LA County into the reopening plans for Magic Mountain.

LA County has 10.1 Million people. You'd need 15 Million shots into arms to get 75% of the county vaccinated. Currently, LA County has put 1.67 Million shots into arms. That's 835,000 county residents that have been fully vaccinated (obviously it's not and the second shot dose is lopsided, but let's just go with 835K).

For the past few weeks, LA County has averaged 300,000 shots per week. At that rate, it will take 45 weeks to administer 13.5 Million shots into LA County arms. That's late December, 2021.

If we instantly double the LA County administration rate today to 600,000 per week, it will take 22 weeks to administer 13.5 Million shots into LA County arms. That's early August, 2021.

Let's not forget, Magic Mountain may not reopen until LA County reaches the Yellow Tier with less than 1 Covid case per 100,000 residents; or less than 101 Cases per day in LA County. Today, 2,873 Cases were reported for this date in LA County. And Covid cases have already dropped by 70% nationwide in the last six weeks. The rate of transmission has been dropping like a rock since late December.

But getting down to 101 cases per day in LA County will still take a long time, if it's even possible since Covid-19 will be swirling around humans probably for the rest of time.

But for me, all that science and hard data says is that the current Guidance for reopening California theme parks in the Yellow Tier will need to be thrown out and replaced with something new, and something far less restrictive. Waiting around for 13.5 Million more Covid shots to be put into arms across LA County doesn't seem like the right timeline for Magic Mountain to reopen in "Spring, 2021".

Considering the number of cases needed to get down to the yellow tier, it would seem almost impossible to get there if the virus is just going to be with us forever. I also would imagine that Disneyland would be THE last park to reopen, if that's even possible.

Anyway, I wonder if @Disney Irish could maybe weigh in on the notion if it would not be until August before fun places could even think to reopen.

mickEblu

So I don’t take the “with rides” to mean all the rides. Then again all of their rides are outdoors so maybe everything opens except that shooter. Or maybe they keep a few coasters closed due to the low capacity

Darkbeer1

To many people, it was already an obviously arbitrary decision back in 2020.

But you are right, it's a position that gets shakier by the day in Sacramento. Which is why I believe it's a political position that will have to be reversed by Newsom sooner than later. I'm betting by Easter.

So as for the Governor, seems like all the political insides are now pretty sure will get enough signatures to qualify, and have more than enough submitted to only need 10% to be verified.

This places the calling of the Recall Election June-ish, and setting a date between 60 to 80 days after the notification. This also opens up those who would like to replace the Governor, if the recall is successful. (On the same ballot, and the person with the most votes win, even if it is 30%)

Right now, we have the Governor in campaign mode, going up and down the state making speeches, while the Democratic Leaders are trying to circle the troops to get everybody in line, and not to have any Democrat talking about running for being the replacement.

But in June, Newsom better have good answers about the EDD, DMV, opening schools, not raising taxes and opening things up, such as Theme Parks.

Because he will be hammered with folks with large sums of money running ads on what Newsom screwed up on.

He knows NOT opening up Theme Parks or placing more roadblocks will hurt him in August/September when the election voting period is expected.

TP2000

So as for the Governor, seems like all the political insides are now pretty sure will get enough signatures to qualify, and have more than enough submitted to only need 10% to be verified.

This places the calling of the Recall Election June-ish, and setting a date between 60 to 80 days after the notification. This also opens up those who would like to replace the Governor, if the recall is successful. (On the same ballot, and the person with the most votes win, even if it is 30%)

Right now, we have the Governor in campaign mode, going up and down the state making speeches, while the Democratic Leaders are trying to circle the troops to get everybody in line, and not to have any Democrat talking about running for being the replacement.

But in June, Newsom better have good answers about the EDD, DMV, opening schools, not raising taxes and opening things up, such as Theme Parks.

Because he will be hammered with folks with large sums of money running ads on what Newsom screwed up on.

He knows NOT opening up Theme Parks or placing more roadblocks will hurt him in August/September when the election voting period is expected.

Wonderful summary, Darkbeer. Thank you!

I signed the petition to recall Governor Newsom months ago. I also have "Recall Newsom" bumper stickers on two of my cars, which are a de rigueur automotive accessory in my neighborhood.

But... I don't really expect Newsom to lose his job this fall. I just signed the petition to try and prevent him from being subjected onto the greater American populace as a Presidential candidate in '24 or '28. I'd like him and First Partner to forget politics and go run a minor Napa winery no one cares about for the rest of their lives and be very happy together, thanks to a pile of cash from the Getty family.

There's no need to subject the rest of America to him, and a Recall getting validated for the ballot should do that nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom