Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If we will getting back to normal faster than 2022, they need to speed up vaccines by this summer, if April is might still happen if general public is still available to everyone for vaccines if J&J was approved as other vaccines getting approved then a lot of people will getting vaccinated sooner than longer. As Biden said if we will getting back to normal by this Christmas or end of summer/fall, vaccines needs go faster to ramp off to vaccine teachers, young adults and more this year faster!

People are awful at getting/reading/comprehending information.

The reason they are now moving expectations out is mostly because of Johnson and Johnson only able to deliver 10 mil doses in the rollout...far less than hoped/promised.

It’s one shot...so to have it come out in far less than expected really kills the Total Numbers

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

The reason they are now moving expectations out is mostly because of Johnson and Johnson only able to deliver 10 mil doses in the rollout...far less than hoped/promised.

It’s one shot...so to have it come out in far less than expected really kills the Total Numbers
Unless they will being more millions of doses than just 10 million doses by March or April.

DKampy

True I think part of it is the pricing. It’s astronomical. We always did bargain Tuesdays. It really needs to be kind of reinvented.
Actually I disagree... I know a lot of people complain about the prices to go a theater... but I find it’s rather inexpensive compared to other forms of entertainment... not sure maybe it’s cheaper in the Midwest... but my wife and I would often go to a matinee on a Sunday...my one day off...and sneak in a drink each plus a snack... the prices was not bad and we are entertained for couple of hours. I suppose it would be different if we had a big family... but for us I can’t think of another form of entertainment outside the house that would be less expensive.

plus nothing pulls you into movie quite like a theater... despite what people say there is no replicating a movie theater screen and sound...very few people have that kind of home theater system... if they do... your local theater must be awful... it is also easier to be pulled into a movie in the theater...too many distractions at home

ToTBellHop

Yes, and if the 2-dose trial of the JnJ vaccine increases efficacy to 85-95%, it will be a 2-dose vaccine in America, as well (with knowledge that it’s a good option for groups statistically less-likely to show up for shot 2, since even 1 shot provides good protection).

ToTBellHop

Unless they will being more millions of doses than just 10 million doses by March or April.
They have set expectations at 20 million total by 4/30. We need to tamper expectations. 100 million total from JnJ by some point in July. We are placing way too much pressure on JnJ when most adults will end up getting the Pfizer or Moderna shots.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have set expectations at 20 million total by 4/30. We need to tamper expectations. 100 million total from JnJ by some point in July.

That’s not very good, frankly. Johnson and Johnson has the largest potential manufacturing capacity of any pharma on earth. There is no urgency somewhere in this process.

More to this story than publicly known...me thinks.

This is be company that’s ceremonially headed by woody Johnson...who’s mom bought him a football team to give him something to do.
That’s not a joke/exaggeration.

Last edited:

Incomudro

First of all, credit to the reporter for producing a balanced report that is somewhat critical of the Biden administration.

All of these predictions about returning to normalcy are based upon when the person giving the prediction deems it acceptable to get back to normal. Even if it takes through August to vaccinate everybody who wishes to be vaccinated, how is there justification for not getting back to normal until 2022? Even if the vaccines don't slow transmission (which they likely do to some extent), they do appear to be extremely effective in preventing severe illness and death.

Of course there will always be some people who are vaccinated and end up getting a severe illness and very likely some very small percentage will die from it. However, once we've reached the point where everybody who wants to be vaccinated has been, there is absolutely no reason to do anything to try and protect the people who have elected not to be.

As long as the vaccines continue to prevent severe illness and death at a very high level of effectiveness (currently seeming like 99% or better by that metric), we should return to normal the day after the two week period has passed from the second shot of the last person who wants to be vaccinated.

I feel this way even if the vaccine isn't approved for 16 and under. The case fatality rate for 16 and under is less than .004% and the infection fatality rate is likely a lot lower than that. There are many things that people 16 and under are at higher risk of serious consequences or death than COVID.
I'm in complete agreement.
If healthcare professionals were in charge of our lives all the time (as they are now) I don't believe we'd ever have a normal.
Bike riding?
Skateboarding?
Fatty foods and sugary foods and drinks?
We're in a precarious situation now where doctors and politicians are the one's who determine when we can be free again.

Touchdown

You know, the White House could be playing some psychological games with the American Public. You know what motivates a lot of Americans, fear of missing out or FOMO. If they keep hyping the vaccine shortage and supply loosens in a month or two, perhaps more Americans will sign up quickly to get it when it’s their turn.

ToTBellHop

That’s not very good, frankly. Johnson and Johnson has the largest potential manufacturing company of any pharma on earth. There is no urgency somewhere in this process.

More to this story than publicly known...me thinks.

This is be company that’s ceremonially headed by woody Johnson...who’s mom bought him a football team to give him something to do.
That’s not a joke/exaggeration.
I agree that it’s surprising. Some options:

1) supply line issue (have they reached out to the administration for help?)
2) they knew it wouldn’t be as effective as Pfizer and Moderna and didn’t bother investing too heavily in the expansion of their facilities necessary to quickly scale

I’m sure there are other potential explanations that I’m not thinking of. But, I agree. They are a much bigger company than Moderna (this is their first real success) and they’re making a cheaper, easier-to-produce product. This should not be a problem for them. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are financial considerations at play. I suspected when they announced the 2-dose trial that they knew they weren’t producing the promised knock-out and, while the vaccines themselves don’t make money (they’re sold at-cost), these companies certainly want the prestige and higher stock market values. The JnJ product is providing neither. And, unfortunately, they are a bit trapped in the market. In the western world, we have the “premium-priced” shots that provide the greatest results and we have the cheaper shots that are nonetheless effective—that’s where JnJ is currently, competing with AstraZeneca. But, AstraZeneca was more shrewd with their data and came to market more quickly, monopolizing that market. Does JnJ try to compete with AstraZeneca, which is already winning among the “cheap” vaccines (with JnJ arguing, “but...but...1 shot!”) or do they try to make a 2-dose to compete with Pfizer and Moderna? They don’t seem to know but their actions suggest they’ll try the latter if their 2-dose trial data support it. And in the meantime, they’ll sit on their hands.

GimpYancIent

You know, the White House could be playing some psychological games with the American Public. You know what motivates a lot of Americans, fear of missing out or FOMO. If they keep hyping the vaccine shortage and supply loosens in a month or two, perhaps more Americans will sign up quickly to get it when it’s their turn.
Uh No. It's more like a continuous fumbling of the ball. The manufacturers just need to keep pumping out vaccine and the people that want it will get it. The issue is the process the vaccine goes through traveling from A - B.

ToTBellHop

While I don’t think they’re “playing games” if they are trying to lead the public to the correct decision, they are certainly trying to shift the public opinion away from that which they inherited on 1/20.

They are just marketing in the way psychologists suggest they should. Hitting people over the head with alerts that “the vaccine is here” while also continually reminding everyone that you’ll have to fight for your shot at first does, indeed, create interest in the vaccine because we are social animals that like to copy each other. I’m seeing jealous comments where a Facebook friend gets the shot and people respond, “how?! Wish I could get one!!11”

No one really needs a PS5 right now (the games work on PS4). But when you are constantly reminded that it’s a hard product to get and you see people on Facebook who have one, you want one, too.

Touchdown

Uh No. It's more like a continuous fumbling of the ball. The manufacturers just need to keep pumping out vaccine and the people that want it will get it. The issue is the process the vaccine goes through traveling from A - B.
ED18B7DD-508F-4670-97B4-7BBE5F93F2F9.jpeg

What about this graph represents mass failure to you? I realize the current week had a major (weather related) hiccup but the system will recover. We currently are vaccinating 0.5% of the population a day. That means if current rate holds were done in less 200 days. We are going to pick up (just look at the longer trends in that graph) but I don’t know why anyone would be mad at the progress weve made in the past month.

GimpYancIent

View attachment 533141
What about this graph represents mass failure to you? I realize the current week had a major (weather related) hiccup but the system will recover. We currently are vaccinating 0.5% of the population a day. That means if current rate holds were done in less 200 days. We are going to pick up (just look at the longer trends in that graph) but I don’t know why anyone would be mad at the progress weve made in the past month.
Yep, all this progress despite the best efforts of government officials to thwart it.

DisneyDebRob

I'm in complete agreement.
If healthcare professionals were in charge of our lives all the time (as they are now) I don't believe we'd ever have a normal.
Bike riding?
Skateboarding?
Fatty foods and sugary foods and drinks?
We're in a precarious situation now where doctors and politicians are the one's who determine when we can be free again.
When we can be free again? Not sure I understand what you mean. Not being sarcastic but I’m doing what I want, just with a mask. Sure some things are closed but that’s for the health of the country but most things are open and we are moving along. I guess parents with school age kids also have a gripe but they are figuring things out and that’s coming back also.I feel just as free then before this all hit a year ago.. just with a mask on.
Was just asking what you meant by that so I can understand.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 533141
Remember, you need two doses. We are averaging 1.66 million TOTAL doses per day but 0.96 first doses. So we are vaccinating about 1 million new people per day. At that pace, we’d get first doses into all remaining Americans in 290 days, 2nd doses in 318. Of course, the pace will accelerate and not everyone will take the shot.

Current acceptance rate is estimated to be 66%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom