General DVC questions

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Dues reflect the real costs to run the resort, that is law. They go up (and down) based on the actual costs to run the resort. When I bought in 10+ years ago, they were a lot lower, but they still had the same relative impact based on inflation. A dollar in dues then is a $1.40 in dues now (or whatever the amount is) and it has the same "feeling" to me.

No two ways about it, DVC is a chunk of change no matter when you buy into it.
We also bought in well over 10 years ago, and while the dues go up each year, the biggest jumps are because we keep adding on more points! :)

Buck Wheelie

We've owned at Okw for about 14 years and I think dues have almost doubled since we bought. We've added points and sold points and now we have just the original contract we started with.

Indy_UK

So then you need to weigh up how often you’ll come, where you would otherwise stay if you booked a package and so on.

We pay around £1000 a year in dues and come every 3 years or so (before Covid). But we’ve stayed in a 1-bed up until now (thinking of a 2-bed now so the boys’ stuff isn’t all over the living room). Last time our Christmas trip cost us £600 a night for the extra days we paid cash for, and that’s with a 25% discount. Factor that in for 12-14 days and we can see the value. We couldn’t be in a hotel room that long with all 4 of us. Plus we make meals in the room.

I reckon we would have broken even after our cancelled Christmas trip in 2020, so next time we should. After that we will be saving every time we come. And by renting the points out we couldn’t use I covered the dues for those years.

You need to do the maths for sure. And to be honest I think you’re right to wait until international travel is back and then decide.
Sound advice.

I think with AKL its until 2057 so 36 years isn't bad. Probably be better off after the 6th Trip. £15K will get just over $20K but that may only stretch to 160-200 points. Ideally id want nearer to 250 points.

Just a waiting game I think and I'll just save for now. I ideally don't want the commitment but with how often we want to go, we want to save lol

Husbands worry is if we get Disney Burnout which I don't think we will as long as we make sure to try not to do so much each trip.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We've owned at Okw for about 14 years and I think dues have almost doubled since we bought. We've added points and sold points and now we have just the original contract we started with.
So if you bought in 2006, the dues were $4.24/point. In 2021, they are $8.36, so pretty close to double. Why did you sell points that you added on? Just curious.

homerdance

I would say don't buy a timeshare to a location that you plan on visiting. Only buy a timeshare on a place you actively visit and plan to continue to visit. Luckily, the days of being tied to the same week in same resort are mostly gone, but you still are only guaranteed a stay at the location you buy. Timeshares are expensive when you don't use them.

Don't buy in to timeshares expecting to make money, they all lose value, and cost more money in dues then the cost of the contract.

DVC's biggest selling point is its Disney, and you get the "bubble feeling", the next is the fact that resale values have been decent for the resorts, but as some of the contracts start to expire, it will be interesting to see what happens to the resorts.

We own DVC, and love going. We annually went before we purchased, now we are able to go a couple of times a year for the same money and much nicer location. But we rented before we bought, we rented at Bonnet Creek too, and i would highly suggest renting points before signing a long term contract.

Buck Wheelie

So if you bought in 2006, the dues were $4.24/point. In 2021, they are $8.36, so pretty close to double. Why did you sell points that you added on? Just curious.
We though we would use them more but after the kids have moved out we have more than enough for the two of us with the original contract.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We though we would use them more but after the kids have moved out we have more than enough for the two of us with the original contract.
We’ve added on a few times (also bought in 14 years ago), and even though our kids are grown and married, we’re keeping our points, and are looking at adding more. We go a few times every year, and prefer staying in 1 bedrooms. We do take the kids every few years, so need the points for larger rooms when needed.

Chi84

Premium Member
I guess it depends. When we first bought into DVC, all four of us fit into one studio. Now both kids are married (one with a child, the other expecting soon) - so we're up to a 2 bedroom villa. Even when it's just the two of us, t's hard to go back to a studio after staying in a 1 bedroom.

Club Cooloholic

I guess it depends. When we first bought into DVC, all four of us fit into one studio. Now both kids are married (one with a child, the other expecting soon) - so we're up to a 2 bedroom villa. Even when it's just the two of us, t's hard to go back to a studio after staying in a 1 bedroom.
The washer/dryer is the toughest thing to say goodbye to. You can pack a lot less and kid spills are a lot easier to handle.

Indy_UK

Does anyone think Disney will impose any further cuts or restrictions for those buying resale on the legacy properties? I don’t think there’s anything else they could take away could they.

we are looking into this a lot more seriously than we planned and looking at a 2023 travel date but buying a contract of day 200 points with points available from 2022 to bank

seascape

Does anyone think Disney will impose any further cuts or restrictions for those buying resale on the legacy properties? I don’t think there’s anything else they could take away could they.

we are looking into this a lot more seriously than we planned and looking at a 2023 travel date but buying a contract of day 200 points with points available from 2022 to bank
I don't see any other restrictions they could put on. You will not get a Blue Card as a resale buyer so no discounts. Now you could buy an Annual Pass when they are offered again to get the discounts but you could have the same option and buy a timeshare from someone else. I love my DVC points but I have also stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek as I have Wyndham points too and if I didn't buy when I did I would not buy DVC points. They cost too much either directly or resale. Look at Ebay and see what you can get for a tiny fraction of DVC resales and have lower annual maintenance fees. Bonnet Creek is for all intense on property and since you won't have DVC benefits either way, what do you lose? 30 minutes of early park admission for staying in an overpriced DVC resorts compared to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I did a comparison yesterday of a 1 bedroom at Bonnett Creek for the last two weeks of September and compared it to a 1 bedroom at Saratoga for 9 nights. The maintenance fees were just about equal is cost but you would get 5 more nights at Bonnett Creek and if you look at the purchase price you could buy they Wyndham points for a lot less. I know you lose the full bubble but think of how much more enjoyment you can get at a lower cost. Knowing what I do today, I would buy Wyndham today and enjoy more time at WDW.

Indy_UK

I see what your saying. Me personally, I’d look at it as an option but I know the rest of the family won’t. It’s been a battle to get them to look at resale DVC over direct but I have won’t then round on that.

Do you need the blue card to be able to get a Tables in Wonderland card or is that open to everyone? That would take the sting out food especially if dinning plan isn’t returning anytime soon.

I agree on the Dues but I think that I can really soften outlay with yearly cashback and deals I get from just doing my regular shopping. AKL dues I’m looking at around $1600 but I know I can get over $400 off that total just from my regular shopping

seascape

I see what your saying. Me personally, I’d look at it as an option but I know the rest of the family won’t. It’s been a battle to get them to look at resale DVC over direct but I have won’t then round on that.

Do you need the blue card to be able to get a Tables in Wonderland card or is that open to everyone? That would take the sting out food especially if dinning plan isn’t returning anytime soon.

I agree on the Dues but I think that I can really soften outlay with yearly cashback and deals I get from just doing my regular shopping. AKL dues I’m looking at around $1600 but I know I can get over $400 off that total just from my regular shopping
Look into the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. It's expensive but the 3% back on travel is a great deal and if you are buying a DVC charge everything to the room and you get 3% off on all your purchases. It also gives you 3% on your maintenance fees and you can get a 50% bonus on travel by using the Chase website. Another benefit is the free use of airport clubs when flying and other benefits. There is also a discount on Lyft which will be beneficial when Magic Express is gone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes, you do need a blue card to purchase the TiW as a DVC member, but AP members can buy one as well. You won't get the discount like DVC members, but you can purchase it if you have an AP.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You can visit Aulani, Hilton Head and Vero Beach of realise can't you or was that removed too?
Yes, you can still book at those resorts even buying resale. The only current restriction that I know of is that you cannot use your resale points at Riviera. One caveat to what I wrote - if you buy resale at Riviera, I am under the impression - possibly mistaken - that you can only use those points at Riviera. I know that was the rule initially, but not sure if they have softened their stance on that.

Indy_UK

Thats right from my research, Riviera resale ties you to Riviera.

I'm guessing resale doesn't allow you the discounted annual passes for WDW, thats what you need the Blue Card for?

nickys

Premium Member
Yes, you can still book at those resorts even buying resale. The only current restriction that I know of is that you cannot use your resale points at Riviera. One caveat to what I wrote - if you buy resale at Riviera, I am under the impression - possibly mistaken - that you can only use those points at Riviera. I know that was the rule initially, but not sure if they have softened their stance on that.
You’re correct. You cannot use Riviera resale points anywhere else.
And resale points at a legacy resort not only prevents you using them at Riviera but also any other new DVC resort going forward.
Thats right from my research, Riviera resale ties you to Riviera.

I'm guessing resale doesn't allow you the discounted annual passes for WDW, thats what you need the Blue Card for?
You must have a blue card to get the Gold AP discount rate.

Do you need the blue card to be able to get a Tables in Wonderland card or is that open to everyone?
This is a gray area. It is listed as a membership extra, thus you need a blue card, as @LuvtheGoof said. However the TIW people don’t care and rarely check. If you buy it online they simply check you are a DVC member. If you buy it in person then they will ask for your membership card, but many resale owners with just a white digital card have reported that it was accepted. So it’s a case of YMMV. Seems like TIW don’t really care, although DVC tout it as a blue card perk. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Thank you. sorry for all the questions. I literally have today where I'm spending it all on spreadsheets to see what works out most effective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom