Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Spring break has been canceled with some schools for that reason here. Ours is earlier than some. We do not feel the relief as only specific groups have been vaccinated. We canceled ours for the 2nd year in a row.

Since they are so spread out in my area (March-April) and across the US I think a bump and not a surge. Not anymore than winter break for many right now will cause
In most of the states I've checked, the main drivers of infection rates are young adults between the ages of 20-29. Are universities having spring break this year? Hopefully we don't see any of this nonsense again this year:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
vaccines aren’t 100% effective
Can still get it or spread it
Everyone is still asked to wear a mask even when they’ve had the vaccine or covid

So what will change and when?
Will it ever?
Something has to give sometime right?
... or is this the new way of life forever

correcaminos

In most of the states I've checked, the main drivers of infection rates are young adults between the ages of 20-29. Are universities having spring break this year? Hopefully we don't see any of this nonsense again this year:

Ohio State which is obviously a big one in my state and nationally canceled. University of Michigan did too. Checking all the major universities in my state and city and many did. A few did not. The bigger ones did though
Everyone is still asked to wear a mask even when they’ve had the vaccine or covid

Will it ever?
When numbers drop and stay low things can improve. JMO

ABQ

Living in a border state which we've only just recently relieved any sort of lockdown and still don't have any real in person schooling going on, I'm more worried about this upcoming event bringing a bump or surge or however you want to put it in cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/mexico-migrants-us/index.html

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida needs to start rocking about 100,000 a day...California and Texas Need about 200,000 a day to make a dent. Need to cut the head off this “snake”.

I’m all for West Virginia doing well...but they weren’t doing much on the other side regardless

bdearl41

Will it ever?
It will go away eventually. Maybe not Covid but all the restrictions will. Maybe this summer maybe next summer but this isn’t sustainable. At some point people are just not going to do it anymore.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The variants are here and have been for a while now. There’s a lot of evidence that the surge in cases in CA this winter was at least partially the result of a variant. It is really important that people continue with mitigations. Lower cases means less chance of a mutation and less spread overall. It’s also equally important that everyone get the vaccine as soon as it’s offered to them. Once JnJ is approved that includes getting that vaccine if that’s what is available. I’ve heard too many people say they would rather wait for the “better” vaccine. We can’t afford to have people wait around.

I am starting think you are actually Dr. Fauci. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Will it ever?

Vaccines are nearly 100% effective in preventing serious illness and death. We still need more data, but there is every reason to believe that they vaccines with significantly reduce spread. As we go through this year and the numbers continue to improve, restrictions will be lifted. Right now we measure this pandemic in deaths and cases per day, we will eventually reach a point where we are measuring by days between deaths, and then days between new cases. There may be some bumps along the road but things will get better.

Heppenheimer

I can assume that the storms in the south this week disrupted the vaccination effort, but I wonder, did any of the power outages result in any significant loss of doses?

Sympathy for Texas. Those temperatures would be a little extreme even where I live in northern Vermont, and then to lose power on top of that? I can't imagine too many Texans have parkas and wool socks in their closets.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Vaccines are nearly 100% effective in preventing serious illness and death. We still need more data, but there is every reason to believe that they vaccines with significantly reduce spread. As we go through this year and the numbers continue to improve, restrictions will be lifted. Right now we measure this pandemic in deaths and cases per day, we will eventually reach a point where we are measuring by days between deaths, and then days between new cases. There may be some bumps along the road but things will get better.
This is one thing I am a bit confused on. Can't you still transmit the virus, even when vaccinated?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Stop living in absolutes (only the Sith do)

You are less likely, most likely significantly less likely to transmit the virus. We don’t know the exact number.
Just asking a question. Didn't state it as fact or as you say an absolute. These types of responses are why many leave this thread. :confused:

Patcheslee

The driving alone one is easy, we have no idea where that person is going or just come from. They may have a good reason. About to pick someone up and don’t want to count on the air turnover when the door opens. Picking up or dropped someone off and didn’t have stationary time to change the mask. I would prefer people aren’t trying to drive down the road while trying to put on or off a mask and sanitizer at the same time. It could make a cell phone look safe in comparison.
Our work requires masks while driving company vehicles even when alone. Considering multiple people might use them in any given day, I guess I understand that. When the vehicle is returned to security they have to do a general wipedown of high touch points.

On another note, we just got notice 6-12th grade will return to full attendance starting Monday Feb 22nd vs hybrid. Teachers are still not in the vaccine eligible group though. County positivity is down to 7.5%. Not that great but think having Indiana statewide testing beginning in April, they're going to have a hard time getting caught back up.

OrlandoRising

This is one thing I am a bit confused on. Can't you still transmit the virus, even when vaccinated?

Some good news on that front from Pfizer: Pfizer’s vaccine appears to reduce coronavirus transmission

Will it ever?

Part of the reason masks are still recommended after you've been vaccinated is we don't know about transmission yet, so the vaccinated could unwittingly pass the virus to the unvaccinated. Limiting transmission = limiting opportunities for further variants that could make vaccines less effective more quickly.

Yes, at some point restrictions will be removed, not when the risk of COVID is removed entirely, but when it's low enough to be comparable to other endemic viruses that we've learned to live with. The way to get there is vaccination and we're still a long way off from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom