Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

I guess one of the potential downsides of this is that it could increase waste. Once you break the seal on the Moderna vial you have to use it in 6 hours. So the more doses per vial the greater chance you will have leftover doses.
Valid point. The counter to that would be, assuming a move to traditional vaccine distribution in the near future, that more appointments would open up if the vials were filled more.

It's not out of the question that Moderna (or anyone else, really), could run two different quantity lines. The larger quantity vials being earmarked to moderate-highly populated areas were dose availability is a problem makes sense. Low population areas could still use the original quantity vials. Big Horn Co, Montana, for example (the heart of the Crow Nation), has vaccinated 20% of their residents with first dose, and are keeping up with second doses on time.

The big downside to doing something like that would be adding a layer of logistics to an already hamstrung process.

Last edited:

sullyinMT

I couldn't tell from the article what all is happening in the analyzer. It's very possible that parts of it are consumed, probably likely from the description.

A requirement to clean, change the consumable parts, and reassemble the device to the same standard would change how it's constructed. Perhaps as a two part device. Part one the consumable and the minimum surrounding parts to house it, and part two that's the reusable electronics. It's possible they did this and the modular construction increased the cost enough that it was more than just trashing the whole thing.

It sounds like a good idea to reuse. There's just other impacts hiding in there that could derail it.
The FAQ says it is a disposable, one use test and analyzer. Considering the electronics for the BT antenna and analyzer, it would be nice if there was a test strip or test cuvette model, like a glucometer or POC blood gas analyzers, that would allow reuse of the analyzer itself. Or some way to ship them back for whatever recycling can be done.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"President Joe Biden’s administration will begin Tuesday to test a program to provide coronavirus vaccines directly to pharmacies, as they try to ratchet up the pace of U.S. inoculations.

Biden’s team will announce Tuesday that they’ll ship roughly one million doses per week directly to pharmacies as a trial run, according to two people familiar with the plans. The people asked not to be identified ahead of the announcement."

"The program will expand as vaccine supply allows, the people said. It’s distinct from a planned 5% increase in shipments that the Biden administration revealed to states in a call with governors Tuesday morning, one person said."

Biden Team Will Test Shipping Vaccines Directly to Pharmacies - Bloomberg

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"President Joe Biden’s administration will begin Tuesday to test a program to provide coronavirus vaccines directly to pharmacies, as they try to ratchet up the pace of U.S. inoculations.

Biden’s team will announce Tuesday that they’ll ship roughly one million doses per week directly to pharmacies as a trial run, according to two people familiar with the plans. The people asked not to be identified ahead of the announcement."

"The program will expand as vaccine supply allows, the people said. It’s distinct from a planned 5% increase in shipments that the Biden administration revealed to states in a call with governors Tuesday morning, one person said."

Biden Team Will Test Shipping Vaccines Directly to Pharmacies - Bloomberg
Looks like the 1% will finally set foot in a CVS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Valid point. The counter to that would be, assuming a move to traditional vaccine distribution in the near future, that more appointments would open up if the vials were filled more.

It's not out of the question that Moderna (or anyone else, really), could run two different quantity lines. The larger quantity vials being earmarked to moderate-highly populated areas were dose availability is a problem makes sense. Low population areas could still use the original quantity vials. Big Horn Co, Montana, for example (the heart of the Crow Nation), has vaccinated 20% of their residents with first dose, and are keeping up with second doses on time.

The big downside to doing something like that would be adding a layer of logistics to an already hamstrung process.

I don't think the issue is the size of the population you have to vaccinate, unless you are only doing 2 or 3 people a day. The issue is how much is left in the last vial of the day. If you have five doses in a vial, and you have to open a new vial to do one last person at the end of the day, you only waste 4 doses, but if you have a 15 dose vial, you waste 14 doses.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It’s been published that the AstraZeneca vaccine cuts transmission by 54% hopefully the other jabs prove as or even more effective

Only articles I can find actually quote a better number of 67%.

"Tests results by University of Oxford, published in a pre-print report with The Lancet, showed a 67% reduction in positive COVID-19 swabs among those vaccinated."

So it sounds like the compared nasal swabs between the vaccinated and control groups and the vaccine group had 67% less swabs testing positive for the virus.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My company just put an interesting process in place. We have a warehouse and have had the workers split into two shifts in case someone gets infected on one shift, we can send that shift home and switch to the other. We have just started mixing people on the shifts, but people who are on the off shift will ware a yellow vest indicating to others that they should stay 12 feet away and have minimal interaction with them.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 137 new reported deaths, along with 3 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.16.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.16.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.16.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.16.02 PM.png

Bill in Atlanta

Just stop please. I have a friend who died who was not high risk. Another super fit young friend 4 months out of work. Friends in the ER struggling because of selfish attitudes. It's not just elderly and high risk dying or suffering from this. Our laser focus should have been on the pandemic and instead we have people ignoring it and posts like this. Our government failed us greatly. And your supposed collateral damage comment? Nope, we didn't do enough.
Why stop discussing what went right/wrong in our response to the virus? Almost a year in, we have over 400k Americans dead, 20 million lost their jobs, a mental health crisis we don't even have time to start measuring yet, kids not allowed to play with friends or see each other's faces, trillions of dollars of economic damage, the list goes on.

Surely you don't think this is the best we could have done.

I have some ideas on what could have been done better. You may not agree with all of them and that's fine. We don't have to always agree with each other in order to engage in discussion or read each other's ideas.

lazyboy97o

Why stop discussing what went right/wrong in our response to the virus? Almost a year in, we have over 400k Americans dead, 20 million lost their jobs, a mental health crisis we don't even have time to start measuring yet, kids not allowed to play with friends or see each other's faces, trillions of dollars of economic damage, the list goes on.

I have some ideas on what could have been done better. You may not agree with all of them and that's fine. We don't have to always agree with each other in order to engage in discussion or read each other's ideas.
Of course we know things could have been done better but that doesn’t mean feeding delusions we know do not work. Unless you can do what nobody else has actually done and tell us how you do things like isolate a single parent who provides transportation services to the disabled and elderly then you’re not actually pitching something new, different or viable.

Patcheslee

My company just put an interesting process in place. We have a warehouse and have had the workers split into two shifts in case someone gets infected on one shift, we can send that shift home and switch to the other. We have just started mixing people on the shifts, but people who are on the off shift will ware a yellow vest indicating to others that they should stay 12 feet away and have minimal interaction with them.
That's a little odd. Why single out one shift for certain rules instead of a blanket 12ft policy to everyone?

correcaminos

Never said we should stop discussing. I just won't put up with people going the direction you went. I'm sorry but it's not a line I think is okay at all and if people cared more about each other than themselves then we wouldn't be where we are.

I already said our government screwed up royally with this. I'm well aware with the results of this. Some could have been stopped, people could have been helped, lives could have been saved. But no, we went in selfishly and we are still nearly a year later even debating on masks. It's ridiculous. Our government failed us. We failed as a whole to help those in need as well. This is coming from someone who has lost loved ones (losing count of the number of funerals I will go to come summer), helping friends now who are ill, lost income, and dealing with home life of a school aged kid. I know where the blame is and the fluffing up about issues to promote agendas just isn't cool with me. Sorry.

Bill in Atlanta

Never said we should stop discussing.
Sorry if I interpreted "Just stop please" as a desire to see discussions end.

I just won't put up with people going the direction you went. I'm sorry but it's not a line I think is okay at all and if people cared more about each other than themselves then we wouldn't be where we are.

I already said our government screwed up royally with this. I'm well aware with the results of this. Some could have been stopped, people could have been helped, lives could have been saved. But no, we went in selfishly and we are still nearly a year later even debating on masks. It's ridiculous. Our government failed us. We failed as a whole to help those in need as well. This is coming from someone who has lost loved ones (losing count of the number of funerals I will go to come summer), helping friends now who are ill, lost income, and dealing with home life of a school aged kid. I know where the blame is and the fluffing up about issues to promote agendas just isn't cool with me. Sorry.
Please don't misinterpret - the source of my frustration with how the last 10 months have gone is not borne out of a selfish desire to do as I want. Rather, my frustration comes from the incalculable damage we have done to society in an effort to fight the virus. Was some of it inevitable? Of course. But much of it was unnecessary, and some of it was senseless.

Like you, I have been hurt by seeing what the virus does to people. But I have also been hurt by seeing what the shutdowns have done to people.

Bill in Atlanta

Of course we know things could have been done better but that doesn’t mean feeding delusions we know do not work. Unless you can do what nobody else has actually done and tell us how you do things like isolate a single parent who provides transportation services to the disabled and elderly then you’re not actually pitching something new, different or viable.
If a single parent is a caretaker of a high-risk person, they would engage in the same protocols (and have access to the same PPE & funding) as a nursing home or hospital worker. The single parent wouldn't need to isolate; neither would those front line workers. However, they would be tested often & would behave as if they are infected when around those high-risk people.

Essentially, they would behave just as medical professionals who care for immune-compromised patients have done for decades. Those folks still went home, went out to eat, went to ballgames. But when they walked through those hospital doors, they were (are) laser like in their attention to hygiene.

In sum, you'd be building protective fences around the high-risk, while doing your best to keep things open. Of course there would still be economic damage. But maybe we only lose 10 million jobs instead of 20, and maybe we only see half the drug addiction and suicides. And maybe we have fewer than 400k+ virus deaths, because we're concentrating our efforts on protecting a targeted, smaller percentage of the population.

correcaminos

Sorry if I interpreted "Just stop please" as a desire to see discussions end.

Please don't misinterpret - the source of my frustration with how the last 10 months have gone is not borne out of a selfish desire to do as I want. Rather, my frustration comes from the incalculable damage we have done to society in an effort to fight the virus. Was some of it inevitable? Of course. But much of it was unnecessary, and some of it was senseless.

Like you, I have been hurt by seeing what the virus does to people. But I have also been hurt by seeing what the shutdowns have done to people.
again our government failed us. They failed to care for the people all around. Both those who were sick and those who have suffered otherwise. The incalculable damage as you are stating could have been dealt with better in other ways. But no we have selfish idiots running the country. What you are calling senseless in your previous posts are things we could have done to help, but didn't. None of the closing was unnecessary though. None at all. In fact we didn't do enough. Excuse me if I sound unkind today, just lost 2 friends this weekend and another just diagnosed and we're all rallying hoping we don't lose another in the group. This person is single caregiver of a very high risk elderly person too. This could end poorly. I hope it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom