Why does Disney charge so much?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Edit: Because someone is so nitpicky with the details... Yes, the suite upgrade we were looking at was for Art of Animation. The cheapest option in regards to a suite in general.

I had originally booked a 5 night stay at Pop Century for 3 adults... It was about $2,600 for a 2-bed deal. Not a suite. I later found out that we have a 4th person going so I went to upgrade to a suite and it would have cost me another $1,400-ish dollars! YIKES! The room isn't even much better than a no-tell motel!

So I go doing some research. There's hotel rooms (of the same quality) on Expedia and Airbnb going between $20 and $60 per night. And some of them don't even have parking fees. Now THAT is big savings.

On top of that? What I finalized on??... Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort.... A suite to sleep 4.... For only $1,200 for the week! That's literally insane! And I've stayed at Cabana Bay before... It's (in my opinion) much nicer than Pop Century.

My whole point is... Why in the HECK does Disney's hotels cost SO MUCH when they HAVE SO MANY hotels!! Holy guacamole!

Last edited:

MickeyCB

My whole point is... Why in the HECK does Disney's hotels cost SO MUCH when they HAVE SO MANY hotels!! Holy guacamole!
I recognize I am going to get slammed for my next remarks so let me first state I am very cheap thrifty and don't like spending money, I love a deal as much as the next person.
But....as I was riding the boat from Wilderness Lodge to MK one day I was looking around and was trying to guesstimate the cost(s) of just maintaining the little bit I was seeing there. We live in SWPA on a few acres. I know what maintaining our house, lawn etc costs.
It is beautiful with the hotels, boats, amazing landscaping, etc. Then there's the electricity, water, staff, supplies, lawyers, insurance, buses, roads, sidewalks, gas, staff salaries, etc. etc.
Then compound that with having to maintain the rest of the world, what 40 square miles?
And again, let the jabs begin, I realize they have to haul in a tremendous amount to cover those costs, and yes, make a profit as they are a business.
With my defense of their costs let me say I think it is so wrong to see high returns on stock shares and execs making crazy salaries when Disney has put thousands of employees out of work with covid.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I recognize I am going to get slammed for my next remarks so let me first state I am very cheap thrifty and don't like spending money, I love a deal as much as the next person.
But....as I was riding the boat from Wilderness Lodge to MK one day I was looking around and was trying to guesstimate the cost(s) of just maintaining the little bit I was seeing there. We live in SWPA on a few acres. I know what maintaining our house, lawn etc costs.
It is beautiful with the hotels, boats, amazing landscaping, etc. Then there's the electricity, water, staff, supplies, lawyers, insurance, buses, roads, sidewalks, gas, staff salaries, etc. etc.
Then compound that with having to maintain the rest of the world, what 40 square miles?
And again, let the jabs begin, I realize they have to haul in a tremendous amount to cover those costs, and yes, make a profit as they are a business.
With my defense of their costs let me say I think it is so wrong to see high returns on stock shares and execs making crazy salaries when Disney has put thousands of employees out of work with covid.
All valid points, on both ends. It's just so confusing how both equally valid points cross each other and cancel each other out.. (the other point being your last part)

MickeyCB

All valid points, on both ends. It's just so confusing how both equally valid points cross each other and cancel each other out.. (the other point being your last part)
I absolutely agree. My wondering about costs etc. was pre-covid and I was probably a little less concerned about investors getting returns. Now, I think it's criminal to profit while CM's are out of work and struggling.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I had originally booked a 5 night stay at Pop Century for 3 adults... It was about $2,600 for a 2-bed deal. Not a suite. I later found out that we have a 4th person going so I went to upgrade to a suite and it would have cost me another $1,400-ish dollars! YIKES! The room isn't even much better than a no-tell motel!

So I go doing some research. There's hotel rooms (of the same quality) on Expedia and Airbnb going between $20 and $60 per night. And some of them don't even have parking fees. Now THAT is big savings.

On top of that? What I finalized on??... Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort.... A suite to sleep 4.... For only $1,200 for the week! That's literally insane! And I've stayed at Cabana Bay before... It's (in my opinion) much nicer than Pop Century.

You've been on this site since 2010. Have you not seen all of the threads on hotel price complaints? I'm not going to argue if staying on site is worth the cost -- too many other threads where people have shared those opinions.

But, I do question the costs you posted and wonder if you received correct info.
Pop... 5 nights, two (queen) beds is one room. Your quoted price sounded high so I went to the Disney site, choose June dates, and came up with a cost much less than $2600. I got a quote for a preferred pool view room with most of the 5 nights over the weekend (highest rates) is just over $1,500 - taxes included. Yes, there are parking fees on top of that.

Upgrade to a suite? Pop does not have suites. Could you have been looking at AoA or a different resort?

Maybe you should ping someone at Kingdom Konsultants to help you find better prices on site, or at least something better than no-tell motels if you stay off site.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
You've been on this site since 2010. Have you not seen all of the threads on hotel price complaints?

But, I do question the costs you posted and wonder if you received correct info.
Pop... 5 nights, two (queen) beds is one room. Your quoted price sounded high so I went to the Disney site, choose June dates, and came up with a cost much less than $2600. I got a quote for a preferred pool view room with most of the 5 nights over the weekend (highest rates) is just over $1,500 - taxes included. Yes, there are parking fees oUpgrade to a suite? Pop does not have suites. Could you have been looking at AoA or a different resort?

Maybe you should ping someone at Kingdom Konsultants to help you find better prices on site, or at least something better than no-tell motels if you stay off site.
1). I’m 22 right now. I was 12 in 2010. I’ve only been doing solo trips for about 4 years. And even then, I did Airbnb’s because broke college kid. Graduated now, I’m finally seeking out the hotel threads.

2). Yes you’re correct. I meant to say we were looking to upgrade to art of animation for a suite because it’s the cheapest suite option onsite. I’ll fix that in the original post.

3). Hell no it was definitely over 2K for May 31st - June 5th, 2021.

4). The point of this post: Universal has much better quality resorts at a much cheaper price than even Disney’s lowest of lows, value resorts.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
You've been on this site since 2010. Have you not seen all of the threads on hotel price complaints? I'm not going to argue if staying on site is worth the cost -- too many other threads where people have shared those opinions.

Pop... 5 nights, two (queen) beds is one room. Your quoted price sounded high so I went to the Disney site, choose June dates, and came up with a cost much less than $2600. I got a quote for a preferred pool view room with most of the 5 nights over the weekend (highest rates) is just over $1,500 - taxes included. Yes, there are parking fees on top of that.

Upgrade to a suite? Pop does not have suites. Could you have been looking at AoA or a different resort?

1.PNG

For your reference. $2,521 for a value resort? Ah yes. Much value. All savings.

EDIT: AND THIS INCLUDES THAT "35% OFF ROOM" DISCOUNT BULL.

UNCgolf

Cabana Bay is super cool and 1000x better than any of the Disney value resorts. I love the retro 50s vibe and I'm actually surprised Disney didn't build something like it back in the 90s -- especially with the 50s aesthetic they used for parts of Disney-MGM. Seems like a missed opportunity now.

Generally speaking, the Universal resorts are a better value than the ones at Disney. The Royal Pacific is as nice or nicer than any of the Disney deluxe hotels and it's much cheaper; it's not that much more expensive than the moderates. The only thing the Universal resorts are lacking is much of a theme -- they have one to an extent, but it's generally nowhere close to the theming Disney has pulled off at its best resorts. Cabana Bay may be the best Universal has done in that regard, although it's not as nice overall as some of their other options.

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
View attachment 528755
For your reference. $2,521 for a value resort? Ah yes. Much value. All savings.

EDIT: AND THIS INCLUDES THAT "35% OFF ROOM" DISCOUNT BULL.
Ah, I think I see the difference. You received a quote for a package. I was looking at room only prices. What was included in your package? Tickets? With hopper option or not? Does the Universal quote include tickets? How about the offiste hotels? Disney tickets are super expensive, for sure.

dmw

In the Parks
No
1). I’m 22 right now. I was 12 in 2010. I’ve only been doing solo trips for about 4 years. And even then, I did Airbnb’s because broke college kid. Graduated now, I’m finally seeking out the hotel threads.

2). Yes you’re correct. I meant to say we were looking to upgrade to art of animation for a suite because it’s the cheapest suite option onsite. I’ll fix that in the original post.

3). Hell no it was definitely over 2K for May 31st - June 5th, 2021.

4). The point of this post: Universal has much better quality resorts at a much cheaper price than even Disney’s lowest of lows, value resorts.
Pop is not what I would consider lowest of lows. Since the skyliner was added, the rates have certainly gone up. There was talk a few years back of reclassifying resorts... Pop and AoA would be somewhere in between values and moderates. The All Star resorts are really the lowest prices rooms these days.

StarshipDisney

Generally speaking, the Universal resorts are a better value than the ones at Disney.

I'll have to agree with that much. Stayed at week at Portofino Bay Hotel (Universal Flagship resort) twice now (2014 & 2019). Both times it was roughly half the cost of the Disney Contemporary resort.

I've got my own problems with Universal but yes the resorts are much cheaper.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Ah, I think I see the difference. You received a quote for a package. I was looking at room only prices. What was included in your package? Tickets? With hopper option or not? Does the Universal quote include tickets? How about the offiste hotels? Disney tickets are super expensive, for sure.
Edit: oh shoot you’re right, woo I’m an idiot. I went To double check after you sent that... I thought I deleted just the hotel but it was the package. Disney still lists that we have park reservations though so there’s a glitch in their system.

Fair play. And thanks. Either way though, Cabana Bay’s suite is still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a suite at art of animation. Package or not.

aliceismad

Supply and demand has shown that people will pay it. Same reason Disney can charge 30-50% more than other cruise lines for similar products. My husband pushed for renting a house in the area for our last trip, and I asked him if needing a rental car, driving in the area, the transport time to the parks, etc. was really worth the savings to him. We ended up on WDW property.

UNCgolf

Edit: oh shoot you’re right, woo I’m an idiot. I went To double check after you sent that... I thought I deleted just the hotel but it was the package. Disney still lists that we have park reservations though so there’s a glitch in their system.

Fair play. And thanks. Either way though, Cabana Bay’s suite is still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a suite at art of animation. Package or not.

Cabana Bay is a much cooler hotel and worth more than the Disney values, IMO.

There are still benefits to staying on-site at Disney, and I think the overall experience at Disney is much better than Universal (at least partially because there are far more attractions I enjoy at Disney than at Universal), but their resort pricing has become absurd.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom