News New Exhibit ‘The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventure’ Debuts in February at EPCOT

Disstevefan1

Nope. That remains untouched, this is going in the main rotunda.

In other news, @WDW Pro can add to his winning percentage. Mouse found a way to quietly disappear quotes from troublesome historical figures like Ayn Rand, Charles Lindbergh ... and Walt Disney.
Censorship is very important going forward in the USA..... 😐We must all be careful we say think going forward...

Prototype82

From what I can see from various photo reports is that we've only lost a portion of the quotes and paintings... So that's a relief. But part of me is afraid that the rest will be slowly removed... Anything about America's history seems to be bad bad bad, anymore. No one is to be quoted or celebrated without further inspection or scrutiny. I fear they will sterilize the lobby. I love the idea of celebrating Jazz music and black history. I do wish there were more artifacts. But I have my fears.

durangojim

From what I can see from various photo reports is that we've only lost a portion of the quotes and paintings... So that's a relief. But part of me is afraid that the rest will be slowly removed... Anything about America's history seems to be bad bad bad, anymore. No one is to be quoted or celebrated without further inspection or scrutiny. I fear they will sterilize the lobby. I love the idea of celebrating Jazz music and black history. I do wish there were more artifacts. But I have my fears.
All the photos I've seen show all the quotes and paintings have been removed. What site are you looking at that still show them?

Prototype82

All the photos I've seen show all the quotes and paintings have been removed. What site are you looking at that still show them?
I believe it's the one that shall not be named. I never know these forum politics. So everything from the center of the lobby to the right seems to still be present.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Maybe guests will get their heads out of their phones long enough to notice View attachment 527990
1.jpg

"That's a good one!"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
You can see in this picture that the other quotes and picture remain.

DSC05527-1.jpg

Tony the Tigger

I was excited to see the exhibit but now will probably pass on it. Sad to see Disney exclude all other races from an exhibit of a quintessential American music form as if it only tells the story of one race. It never occurred to me this would be a black exhibit as opposed to an American exhibit. Music is all about bringing people together and they decide to use it as a wedge.
Unbelievable.

Between the cynics and the racially insensitive...

Enjoy the change for awhile. Nothing is permanent at WDW. Make peace with that. Try less whining.

Prototype82

As someone who still hasn't gotten over fate of the original Rivers of Light, I am the definition of cynicism in these parks. I'm self-aware. :rolleyes: I definitely have more fun when I learn to Let it Go. I think with all of the huge changes we've seen lately, it's easy for many of us to jump the gun and assume these changes are permanent. As a creative, I hate seeing artworks taken backstage. Like how I felt when the intricate Rivers costumes were shut away in a closet not to be seen, or when we lost the Norway mural. It's easy for us to assume the worst. Good point, Tony the Tigger. Take a deep breath and enjoy the new. I could definitely be better about that...

Last edited:

Prototype82

That makes me feel a little better
I feel you, dude. For me the American Adventure has always felt like a hallowed place; not a theme park attraction. Because it was designed to feel that way. Each painting: an idea. Each sculpture: an ideal. Each quote; carefully selected to represent the American Spirit. They with the Voices of Liberty are all intricate parts of a sweeping and emotional whole. So those questioning the nervousness of seeing some things hidden or potentially removed: that's why we feel this way.

That being said, celebrating jazz is an excellent way of celebrating Black history month. While I love the relics on display, I wish there were more! Wdwmagic, awesome video confirming that we do have some lovely jazz audio pumping through. While I'm not a big fan of change, it makes sense to have 2 exhibits in the AA at this time. There's no Voices of Liberty show to entertain guests and another way to engage visitors in the lobby does make sense.

Tony the Tigger

They added something educative in EPCOT and put it in the correct pavilion.

But wait - once you put jazz in a movie, it’s not jazz anymore. It’s only a movie - therefore, it must be relegated to the “movie park.”

Also, it’s no longer original; just like the second after Miles Davis released Kind Of Blue, it was no longer original, and was just lazy shoehorning if he played it in concert.

Animaniac93-98

I feel you, dude. For me the American Adventure has always felt like a hallowed place; not a theme park attraction. Because it was designed to feel that way.

I like that you said this.

When you stand inside the American Adventure or Hall of Presidents, you don't feel like you're in a Florida amusement park a few miles down the road from Sea World. You feel like you're in a authentic historical site, or government sanctioned museum like the Smithsonian somewhere in VA or PA. It's not just the 18th century interior that does this, there's an overall "tone" that's hard to describe, but very much real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom