Changes in the last 2 years that burn your britches

MickeyLuv'r

I just remembered two more WDW changes!

I don't know either one rises to the level of 'burning my britches', but they probably do belong on the front list:

1. No more free shopping bags. While I generally think plastic bags are widely overused, including at WDW, on my last visit to WDW I found the change a little weird. I don't recall what I bought, but it was small. Too small for one of the reusable bags, but too fragile to carry in my pocket. I'm happy WDW has reusable bags, but no bags is a little weird.

2. WDW's toiletries swap out : changing little bottles out for bigger pump-style dispenser shampoo bottles that are secured to the shower walls in the hotel rooms.

FutureCEO

Splash Mountain. Well, officially officially not yet because it hasn't closed.
Spectromagic (not quite so recent but I loved it)
Reflections of Earth

not a fan of the massive buildings and fountains in the lake.

NoWayJose

All of the items mentioned above in this list, but I wanted to add a minor one.

They totally butchered the remodel of Beaches & Cream. The theming before was excellent and one of the last places in disney that truly felt unique. It’s the epitome of Bob Evans “meh” now.

UNCgolf

They totally butchered the remodel of Beaches & Cream. The theming before was excellent and one of the last places in disney that truly felt unique. It’s the epitome of Bob Evans “meh” now.

Wow. I don't think I'd seen any photos of the refurb before; looked it up because of this comment.

It used to have a fun retro 50s diner feel. The current look is mass market generic beyond the color scheme. Why is Disney so bad at design now?

Last edited:

LittleMerman

I LOVED Rivers of Light and never understood when a lot of people didn't like it. To me, the original show was much better than the Lion King version, but both were very entertaining and unique. The music was amazing, especially in the original! So I'll miss that a lot. But in true Disney fashion, I'm used to changes and I'm hoping they'll come up with something even better to replace it!

Giss Neric

I agree. I have no problem expanding the place but the theming and ambience suffered. It's no longer this "hole in the wall" restaurant that people are dying to try. I remember watching a lot of vlogs from people in the UK putting Beaches and Cream as a priority to their itinerary.

Lilofan

I still hope they still sell the kitchen sink, an ice cream concoction that can feed a whole family.

UNCgolf

I LOVED Rivers of Light and never understood when a lot of people didn't like it. To me, the original show was much better than the Lion King version, but both were very entertaining and unique. The music was amazing, especially in the original! So I'll miss that a lot. But in true Disney fashion, I'm used to changes and I'm hoping they'll come up with something even better to replace it!

I also really liked the original Rivers of Light.

I think there were a lot of technical issues, though, and my understanding is if you caught it on a bad day it could be really unimpressive. I only saw it once and everything was functioning the way it should (I assume), and it was marvelous.

LittleMerman

I think there were a lot of technical issues, though, and my understanding is if you caught it on a bad day it could be really unimpressive. I only saw it once and everything was functioning the way it should (I assume), and it was marvelous.
I saw it multiple times but my last time (2019) it ended about 3 minutes into the show and they restarted everything. So you're probably right. I wonder why they don't work on trying to fix the issues vs. creating a whole new show? Makes me wonder if audience feedback was generally unimpressive.

rreading

My family liked it as well (pre-changes - afterward, we could take it or leave it) but it needed a proper finale. They'll do better next time.

Most of my complaints are qualified, especially in light of corona. I feel like investment in WDW was going great until they had to hit the breaks.

MK: Needed the theater but didn't happen.
Adds Tron which is fine but (probably) the wrong location.
Muppets come then go. 🤷‍♂️
Getting rid of the bride auction and then the Splash Mountain redo (do it in DL but not MK) are really annoying to me.
Not figuring out what to replace Stitch with...but it seemed like they were trying for a while
And no nighttime parade which was - reportedly - supposed to be corrected but $$ currently.

Epcot: Glad that SSE isn't getting messed up (thanks corona!)
Glad that the Land and the Seas still exists.
We like M:S and tolerate TT. I'm looking forward to GotG but wish the original Horizons, Imagination and WoM were still there.
They really need to figure out imagination.
To me the communicate needed to be redone and I'm not complaining until they finish and it's terrible. Then I'm complaining.
Ratatouille and France expansion good. BatB singalong bad.
I liked the Norway overhaul

HS: I understand that The Great Movie Ride needed work. It makes sense to have Mickey in the middle of the park. But it didn't have to be done the way they did it. I wish they had updated TGMR
I don't mind Toy Story Land or GE. Glad that Star Tours continues to exist.
It still needs expansion which they know.

AK: They could have done a better job with RoL. Otherwise, it's pretty great.
They do need to decide what's going on in DinoRama. After corona, it should be taken care of. I'm hoping the Rhode's retirement does not reflect badly on their plans.

General resort: yes they're expensive. I hate that they're getting rid (for now) of DME. Admission to the parks is $$ and we can't game the system with 10d PH tickets with No Expiration option (made me so disappointed) but makes financial sense.

If it's expensive for one to visit - it should be expensive for everyone to visit. If it's cheap for one population then the others have to make up the difference.

I would that they would limit FP+. Again, for some to game the system isn't good for everyone else. The fact that the FP lines are sometimes longer than traditional lines is absurd.

Chapek and corona have been inextricably linked thus far. I wonder what things will feel like moving forward.

As an aside, I was at Six Flags over Texas yesterday and they have added Streetmosphere! It wasn't amazing but a step in the right direction for them!

tl77

A color change is a "slap in the face" and a "huge insult"? I get not liking it, but isn't that a biy of a hyperbole?
not if read and understand my entire statement, why change it at all?

Attachments

• 56c8e1356b188ed6ff2a76cb62c25f9e.jpg
    56c8e1356b188ed6ff2a76cb62c25f9e.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 28

Shouldigo12

not if read and understand my entire statement, why change it at all?
I read your whole statement and you're being dramatic. Btw, the picture you posted isn't the new castle. It looks like the weird candy version I've heard about that they did several years back.
Edit: enlarged the picture and yep, looks like that was for the 25th.

tl77

I read your whole statement and you're being dramatic. Btw, the picture you posted isn't the new castle. It looks like the weird candy version I've heard about that they did several years back.
I know what I'm talking about, you don't know what I'm talking about

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom