Payment Options

arich35

Back in December 2019 when we visited we received a gift card for turning down room service and we were able to load them onto Google Wallet and use that in stores. Is Disney still giving this option? We have a lot of money in gift cards and just trying to figure out the best way to use them while at Disney in May.
I have read about people charging everything to the magic band and then paying off the balance with a gift card at the end of the day at the resort. Is that also still an option?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Back in December 2019 when we visited we received a gift card for turning down room service and we were able to load them onto Google Wallet and use that in stores. Is Disney still giving this option? We have a lot of money in gift cards and just trying to figure out the best way to use them while at Disney in May.
I have read about people charging everything to the magic band and then paying off the balance with a gift card at the end of the day at the resort. Is that also still an option?

Load everything onto the room and pay it the day BEFORE you check out. Like no later than 5 pm. The resort system cycles in the middle of the night...so you’d get charged if you wait till check out

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Load everything onto the room and pay it the day BEFORE you check out. Like no later than 5 pm. The resort system cycles in the middle of the night...so you’d get charged if you wait till check out
It doesn't charge the card on file after every day? I can't remember what happened last time we went (we used the magic band for everything)

I know mobile order is big now and you can't use the magic band for that but I believe you can add a gift card for the payment in the app?

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

We always pay our entire stay with gift cards, and @Sirwalterraleigh is correct. One time we didn't go down to pay the day before leaving and they ran it on our credit card. Then we had to sit with them and take everything back off and pay with the gift cards.
Also I believe you can use a gift card for mobile ordering but I think you have to put the number in each time. (I am not certain if that is still true but read it here on the boards somewhere).
Because of that, In October I just put our credit card on the mobile order app because (I found it) to be a big enough pain in the to use even without punching in card numbers each time.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
We always pay our entire stay with gift cards, and @Sirwalterraleigh is correct. One time we didn't go down to pay the day before leaving and they ran it on our credit card. Then we had to sit with them and take everything back off and pay with the gift cards.
Also I believe you can use a gift card for mobile ordering but I think you have to put the number in each time. (I am not certain if that is still true but read it here on the boards somewhere).
Because of that, In October I just put our credit card on the mobile order app because (I found it) to be a big enough pain in the ***** to use even without punching in card numbers each time.

That is good to know, we will attempt to do this!

I have a feeling most of our expenses will be quick service meals so we might have to use the gift cards for it. I read somewhere else people putting the card numbers in a notes app then just copying and pasting when they need to use, might be a good workaround

Upvote 0

Disneyelisa

I have a feeling most of our expenses will be quick service meals so we might have to use the gift cards for it. I read somewhere else people putting the card numbers in a notes app then just copying and pasting when they need to use, might be a good workaround
I usually use gift cards to pay for the hotel (if staying onsite), any souvenirs, snacks, lunch, etc. If you buy the gift cards at Target with the RedCard, you get 5% off the price.

You can definitely find a way to copy/paste the numbers.

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

I usually use gift cards to pay for the hotel (if staying onsite), any souvenirs, snacks, lunch, etc. If you buy the gift cards at Target with the RedCard, you get 5% off the price.

You can definitely find a way to copy/paste the numbers.
Not sure if you're saying using multiple Gift Cards and having to manually punch in each individual card number? If so, you can create an account at My Disney Gift Card and combine all cards into one with the total balance.
Link Below:

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Not sure if you're saying using multiple Gift Cards and having to manually punch in each individual card number? If so, you can create an account at My Disney Gift Card and combine all cards into one with the total balance.
Link Below:
The site you linked is going away in a few days and is going to be incorporated somewhere in MDE. CLICK ON IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
The site you linked is going away in a few days and is going to be incorporated somewhere in MDE. CLICK ON IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Would be really nice if you can combine gift cards on MDE and be able to use the gift cards as your first option to pay

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

Would be really nice if you can combine gift cards on MDE and be able to use the gift cards as your first option to pay
The in link this thread and below did just that....and according to the website, you'll be able to do so in MDE January 20th....

Thanks @Tuvalu for that info

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

Sorry to high jack the thread away from the OP original question, but @Tuvalu I have a question for you.
I just linked a bunch of cards to pay my DVC dues on the card management site, and one card has a balance now.
Will that card and that balance still be good to use as any gift card would moving forward? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Sorry to high jack the thread away from the OP original question, but @Tuvalu I have a question for you.
I just linked a bunch of cards to pay my DVC dues on the card management site, and one card has a balance now.
Will that card and that balance still be good to use as any gift card would moving forward? Thanks in advance
My understanding is yes, as long as you have the physical card. You may want to note the balance on a sticky attached to the card, since neither your card nor the balance will carry over to MDE.

Upvote 0

Rob562

@Tuvalu I think you should recheck the wording on the gift card site. It's not that the functionality is moving to MDE. They're just bringing the login functionality from all the other Disney sites to the gift card page. So the same email/password combination will follow you from MDE to the gift card site. (Like I use my same email and password to log into the MDE app, the Disneyland app and the Play Parks app)

The page says in a few places that it is not a mobile wallet.

Someone probably decided that maintaining a separate secure database of user login info for one site that just dealt with gift cards was an unnecessary expense, and the only way to effectively switch over was to wipe out all old gift card accounts and refer login credentials to the server used for everything else.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@Tuvalu I think you should recheck the wording on the gift card site. It's not that the functionality is moving to MDE. They're just bringing the login functionality from all the other Disney sites to the gift card page. So the same email/password combination will follow you from MDE to the gift card site. (Like I use my same email and password to log into the MDE app, the Disneyland app and the Play Parks app)

The page says in a few places that it is not a mobile wallet.

Someone probably decided that maintaining a separate secure database of user login info for one site that just dealt with gift cards was an unnecessary expense, and the only way to effectively switch over was to wipe out all old gift card accounts and refer login credentials to the server used for everything else.

-Rob
Thank you for the clarification.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Thank you for the clarification.
I was planning for the website redesign and double-checked to make sure I had all my physical cards and then when Jan 21 hit and nothing changed on the gift card site, I was super surprised and happy I didn't have to change anything for the logins or set up a new username. I guess I already had all my Disney sites as one login! Yay! :geek: :geek: I shall continue with my gift card happiness/madness!

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Also with gift cards, one thing that we always tell our clients is to hold on to them until after you travel. That way if something is refunded back, you have it in hand.

Pam
I keep a spreadsheet with a picture of them on it. I found out the hard way about this after the shutdown and Disney wanted to credit my annual passes and after hours tickets back to the original gift cards I used. I didn't have them anymore because those were non-refundable items. Now, even if the gift cards get refunded, I have the numbers and can always transfer the balance onto a different card.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I was planning for the website redesign and double-checked to make sure I had all my physical cards and then when Jan 21 hit and nothing changed on the gift card site, I was super surprised and happy I didn't have to change anything for the logins or set up a new username. I guess I already had all my Disney sites as one login! Yay! :geek: :geek: I shall continue with my gift card happiness/madness!
The change was pushed back to Feb 3rd. This is the latest announcement on the website:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom