News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Brer Oswald

I didn’t say it was off the table.

You are more worried about Pinocchio getting axed because of a petition. Regarding Splash, that petition didn’t ultimately get the ride changed. They had already been planning a change prior to that petition.

The ride is fine right now. I wouldn’t worry about an exit in the near future at this moment.
There's also a lot more at stake for Disney in "cancelling" Pinocchio. If they wanted to replace the ride, I don't think they would have to resort to the same division tactics. Whether you like the ride or not, it clearly needs some work.

Californian Elitist

Well, I didn't know about anything of the sort until the petition appeared. It was only afterwards that Disney formally announced it. Coincidence? I think not.

Now, if the only thing they did with Pinocchio was to modify it with screens and somehow lighten the mood, but not actually remove the ride, that would be interesting.
Is it not possible that Disney saw it as a perfect opportunity to make their announcement?

Seeing that now three out of the five dark rides have received upgrades, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the next two on deck.

Brer Oswald

Well, I didn't know about anything of the sort until the petition appeared. It was only afterwards that Disney formally announced it. Coincidence? I think not.

Now, if the only thing they did with Pinocchio was to modify it with screens and somehow lighten the mood, but not actually remove the ride, that would be interesting.
The idea that put the petition in motion was posted by a Disneyland Cast Member (a pretty smug one at that). I'm still not entirely convinced Disney had nothing to do with the petition. But let's not derail the thread any further.

mharrington

Is it not possible that Disney saw it as a perfect opportunity to make their announcement?

Exactly, it couldn't have been a coincidence.

Seeing that now three out of the five dark rides have received upgrades, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the next two on deck.

Well, if that's the only thing that Pinocchio and Mr. Toad will be receiving, that would suit me fine.

yensidtlaw1969

I didn’t say it was off the table.

You are more worried about Pinocchio getting axed because of a petition. Regarding Splash, that petition didn’t ultimately get the ride changed. They had already been planning a change prior to that petition.

The ride is fine right now. I wouldn’t worry about an exit in the near future at this moment.
Overall, most of what I'm seeing in this preview looks to be handsome. If it had been up to me I'd have left the exterior and Queue Dungeon as they were and just cleaned them up (WHY do people insist on dropping their spare change in there??), maybe not bothered with the Marching Dwarf and Mining Grumpy projections, but otherwise what we've seen of the ride appears to be looking fresh and sparkling in good ways.

Hopefully they haven't totally turned down the scares in between these snippets - if we get a Mirror scene, Forest Scene (if shortened), and Witch Cliff Scene that haven't had their darkness totally throttled and are nicely refinished as these, then I'll consider the refurb a net gain. The name is clumsy, but that seems to be the worst offense. Given the choice between this and the previously rumored gutting of Snow and Pinocchio for a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride, I'll take this gladly.

I doubt given the current financial climate that Pinocchio will be seeing work any time soon, but if it turned out along these lines I doubt I'd wince too much. Given the quality of the movie and the generally improved state of the other Fantasyland Dark Rides, there's room for healthy growth.

Assuming they didn't make any substantive changes to the content of Toad, I'd probably be open to that too. Spruce up what's there, it really doesn't need bigger change (IE: Keep Hell, for heaven's sake!)

mharrington

No, you misunderstand me. But I’ll leave it at that.

Not all upgrade changes are good. Snow is a great example, taking out some of the scary elements of the ride.

Still, as pointed out previously, it's better than removing Snow White AND Pinocchio for a Beauty and the Beast ride.

Disneyson

You will see Snow biting the apple in this refurb

The rock scene is not gone but has been moved to a different location

GOOD.

Overall, most of what I'm seeing in this preview looks to be handsome. If it had been up to me I'd have left the exterior and Queue Dungeon as they were and just cleaned them up (WHY do people insist on dropping their spare change in there??), maybe not bothered with the Marching Dwarf and Mining Grumpy projections, but otherwise what we've seen of the ride appears to be looking fresh and sparkling in good ways.

Hopefully they haven't totally turned down the scares in between these snippets - if we get a Mirror scene, Forest Scene (if shortened), and Witch Cliff Scene that haven't had their darkness totally throttled and are nicely refinished as these, then I'll consider the refurb a net gain. The name is clumsy, but that seems to be the worst offense. Given the choice between this and the previously rumored gutting of Snow and Pinocchio for a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride, I'll take this gladly.

THIS THIS THIS, 💯.

After thinking this over: new paint is terrible. New name is terrible. Just revert to Snow White’s Adventure. Or Snow White’s Storybook Adventure, if we must make it seem kinder.
The moments we’ve seen are pluses of the happy scenes that were already there. The film is half-dark and half-light. If you don’t think Tilt-A-Snow is better than the static Snow climbing the stairs I’d be surprised. I think the Diamond mine is SO much nicer, and gives people what they expect to see, the Dwarves, in a nice and tasteful way.

If the Queen remains and Snow White actually ‘dies on-screen’ in this version, then I think that’s sufficiently traumatizing for the kids. The way that the beginning of the kiss scene begins with rain and thunder gives me the impression that we’re gonna be coming off of the rock scene, which is also good and scary. What exactly is the scary stuff that they’re removing? I guess the cauldron scenes, which are hardly the scariest parts? The little boat popping out? I dunno, that’s not important to me, at least. I mourn the loss of the laboratory in the queue, but also think that the new little Snow bedroom is sorta cool - kinda fun to see the prison-like cramped quarters that she’s had to live in, sorta like when you get to explore Belle’s cottage in Enchanted Tales. What it’s really doing is repositioning the story to be about Snow White instead of the Queen, which I respect. Maybe we could have done it with some of the watercolor palate of the film, though, instead of cotton candy.

Still, I’ll miss the spooky... but also, let’s consider that more kids will go on the ride because they won’t have to pass what is essentially a HHN set. It will give the ride more guests, I’ll bet you, and if the most important of the witch scenes (Transformation and Apple-give) are in there, I don’t see much of a problem. The only thing I wonder about is the dark forest. I hope that makes the cut.

What seems to be happening is that they’re filling the dead air of the ride and the awkward pauses with more action. That isn’t so bad, IMHO. I don’t feel the few moments of traveling with the skeletons add to the story or are particularly scary or even “artful”, and this is done much better on Pirates?

Additionally, I don’t understand the cracks at social distancing in this thread, because that’s a health issue, and we’re talking about little kids getting scared, which is a taste issue. Scare me and my children all you want as long as it’s safe, haha!

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

No, you misunderstand me. But I’ll leave it at that.

Not all upgrade changes are good. Snow is a great example, taking out some of the scary elements of the ride.
I'm of the seemingly minority opinion that Peter Pan's refurb did a little more harm than good - the figures got a nice repaint, and the Laser Projections are nice, as is the rippling water around Skull Rock . . . but the rest of the projections are somewhat poorly integrated, and the repaint of London is a total bust. The scene has never looked less convincing than it does now, and the flight over London has always held the most magic of any part of the ride. Most of what was done to Alice (and the original Snow projection upgrades) had me optimistic for what would come to Pan, but I'm sorry to say the ride seems worse off for having been touched.

Having not seen all of it yet, Snow looks to be hewing more towards Alice than Pan on the scale of refurb success. Hopefully that bears out and we find the scares haven't been totally neutered.

yensidtlaw1969

PS:

swrtss57846.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.24.00 PM.png

mickEblu

I'm of the seemingly minority opinion that Peter Pan's refurb did a little more harm than good - the figures got a nice repaint, and the Laser Projections are nice, as is the rippling water around Skull Rock . . . but the rest of the projections are somewhat poorly integrated, and the repaint of London is a total bust. The scene has never looked less convincing than it does now, and the flight over London has always held the most magic of any part of the ride. Most of what was done to Alice (and the original Snow projection upgrades) had me optimistic for what would come to Pan, but I'm sorry to say the ride seems worse off for having been touched.

Having not seen all of it yet, Snow looks to be hewing more towards Alice than Pan on the scale of refurb success. Hopefully that bears out and we find the scares haven't been totally neutered.

What they did to London was a travesty and I’m surprised I don’t see more people (here at least) talk about that. Alice refurbs were great except for the white rabbit.

yensidtlaw1969

What they did to London was a travesty and I’m surprised I don’t see more people (here at least) talk about that. Alice refurbs were great except for the white rabbit.
^Basically this. I have a few more minor quibbles with Alice, but they really are minor compared to the wins we got. I tend to think of the fiasco with the Outdoor portion as a separate issue, so that kind of is what it is. Otherwise Alice mostly looks better than ever, and by a worthwhile amount.

Californian Elitist

For sure, I just used Snow’s example because it’s fresh and recent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom