Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Are you saying they should mandate mask wearing in your own home? LOL.
No, I don't think so. The problem with mask wearing is that it cannot be mandated or monitored in the places where COVID is most likely to spread - large private gatherings and homes. That doesn't mean they don't help to stop the spread in places like stores where a person may come into close contact with a salesperson for a significant time or on public transportation where you are sitting or standing close to someone. Also, the CDC is now saying that wearing a mask may protect the wearer by limiting the amount of virus that gets through. Given how widespread the virus is and how it's transmitted, I believe the masks help. I think we should wait until a vaccine is widely available before losing the masks.

seascape

It is easy to ask on January 20, 2021 that asking Americans to wear a mask for 100 days and say the problem will be over. There are many news stories that say by April most people will be able to walk up and get a vaccine shot. 100 days after January 20, 2021 is April 30, 2021 and thanks to our pharmaceutical companies and project warp speed, we will have heard immunity by then. Of course there are so many people who will give Biden credit for it when he had absolutely nothing to do with it. Just like those who give Trump full credit for the vaccine when all he did was spend the money and encourage the scientists to work faster. Trump did not invent the vaccine and did what most Presidents would do.

The first problem, Covid19 is almost over. Now comes the bigger priblem, it's ramifications. Thousands of small businesses are gone and won't come back. Millions of people are unemployed and adding taxes increases the risk for success and lowers the possible rate of return, so many people won't invest in risky businesses. Higher taxes on upper middleclass people will hurt vacations and other unnecessary expenses. The decreases in peoples savings will have to be replaced, thus hurting the recovery. Anyone who thinks everything will go back to the way it was last December is. delusional. I know I am lucky and my life will actually be better because WDW will not be as crowded and the costs won't be able to increase as fast. But the downside of that is Disney will have less Cast Members and those they have will be paid less and taxed more. In the end people will question if we did the right thing?

carolina_yankee

Regarding masks, I don't think where they are required will be reduced until numbers go down to a very low level, much of the population has been vaccinated, *and* we know a vaccinated person can't spread the virus. The vaccine doesn't necessarily keep you from getting the virus, it keeps you from getting sick from the virus. Can you spread the virus while your body fights it off?

How 700 Epidemiologists are Living Now, and What They Think is Next

Most scientists say around 70 percent of the population will need to be immune for the United States to reach herd immunity, when the virus slows down significantly or stops. Moncef Slaoui, who is leading the government’s Operation Warp Speed vaccine development program, said this week that vaccines may roll out quickly enough for the United States to reach herd immunity by early summer. But scientists do not yet know if vaccinated people could still spread the virus.

I think things will get progressively and noticeably better in 2nd quarter as vaccination becomes routine and more widely available and we will be more able to do *most things* we want to do as summer comes along, but it could be a year a more before we can eliminate most safe-guards. If then.

rowrbazzle

I know everyone says masks don't work but they do. The reason for the high cases is cause majority is due to spread at home. Studies have shown 80% is from being spread at home. As an example 100 people have Covid, so for every 20 people that pick it up in public they spread to 80 at home where masks aren't worn and people spend more then 15 minutes with others.
Would you mind sharing those studies? A report from the NY Times last week said that for the places in the States that could track it, they aren't seeing it linked to private gatherings as much as the regular offenders like nursing homes and restaurants. I'm curious to see some of the differences.

rowrbazzle

Are you saying your medical facility no longer allows you to wear a mask correctly?? They come around and say "NOPE your masks fit too perfectly." I understand theres a shortage but yikes if that's what's happening.
What a scandal.
I can't speak to LUVMCO's situation, but health care providers I know are being made to reuse their masks. N95s are still in short supply. One individual I know was issued an N95 back in March. It broke after a few months and so she got another one. It is not properly sized, though. Unfortunately not everyone even has that.

Last edited:

mmascari

Are you saying your medical facility no longer allows you to wear a mask correctly?? They come around and say "NOPE your masks fit too perfectly." I understand theres a shortage but yikes if that's what's happening.
What a scandal.
I assume this is referring to reusing items that should not be reused and how often they're changed in general. Not that professionals are physically wearing a mask incorrectly on the head. Lots of random people are wearing a mask incorrectly on the head, but that's different.

What is shame and complete failure of policy is that we're 8+ months into this and we still have PPE shortages and that professions are still forced to deal with mask procedures that are not following the correct procedure completely.

Of course, this has mostly nothing to do with mask use in public settings instead of professional ones. They're dealing with different requirements and goals. It might be nice to treat the entire world the same way we treat a medical setting. But, it's way overkill. Like treating my house as clean room instead of just dusting it now and then. Sure, the cleanroom controls would keep dust down better than the occasional feather duster, but I don't really have the same dust goals at home.

Chip Chipperson

I know everyone says masks don't work but they do. The reason for the high cases is cause majority is due to spread at home. Studies have shown 80% is from being spread at home. As an example 100 people have Covid, so for every 20 people that pick it up in public they spread to 80 at home where masks aren't worn and people spend more then 15 minutes with others.

Also, the argument that masks don't help only works if the argument FOR masks was that they would get cases to zero - and even then it only works if 100% of the country actually listened.

Jrb1979

DisneyDebRob

I can't speak to LUVMCO's situation, but health care providers I know are being made to reuse their masks. N95s are still in short supply. One individual I know was issued an N95 back in March. It broke after a few months and so she got another one. It is not properly sized, though. Unfortunately not everyone even has that.
How sad is that. Living in the US and can’t find or afford new N95 masks for healthcare workers. The USA. It’s unreal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What was his approval rating when he left office? 15-20%. Looking back do people really agree with him getting us into a 20 year war. He's not well liked by his own party. The media seems to like him now since he's became chummy with his globalist buddies Clinton and Obama. I think your delusional if you think more than 40-50% of the people are going to get behind Biden. Covid is only one issue and it will eventually run it's course and end anyway.
I never said everyone would get behind him on everything. You made the statement that 70M people wouldn’t do anything he said because they voted for Trump. I disagree on that. Like I said, they won’t support him on everything else, but Covid is a crisis. The US has a history of rallying around a president during a national crisis and I used George W as the most recent example. His approval rating around 9/11 timeframe was pushing 90%. It wasn’t because a bunch of liberals and independents suddenly changed their political beliefs. They rallied around our leader in a time of crisis. I do believe that will happen with the covid vaccines. Most Americans will support that effort. I really hope you are completely wrong that 70M Americans won‘t listen to anything he says and will resist covid vaccines because their guy lost and people were mean to him. That would be a true tragedy.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Disney Cruise Line Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Alert​

December 4, 2020

Disney Cruise Line Extends Suspension of All Departures Through February 28, 2021

Our team at Disney Cruise Line remains focused on the health and well-being of our Guests and team members. We are continuing to carefully review the guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and are working toward resuming operations.

As we continue to refine our protocols for our eventual return to service, we have decided to cancel all departures through February 28, 2021. Sailings are cancelled onboard the Disney Magic through February 25; the Disney Wonder and Disney Dream through February 26; and the Disney Fantasy through February 27.

Guests booked on affected sailings who have paid their reservation in full will be offered the choice of a cruise credit to be used for a future sailing or a full refund. Guests who have not paid their reservations in full will automatically receive a refund of what they have paid so far. Affected Guests and travel agents will receive an email from Disney Cruise Line outlining details and next steps.

Guests who've booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly with any questions. Those who've booked directly with Disney Cruise Line and have questions after receiving their email should call (866) 325-6685 or (407) 566-7797.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom