Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was talking about people traveling to see family, not specifically train, plane, boat or car.

The AAA statistics usual are either auto or “short duration” travel...ie road.

Go figure...in a Country of 330,000,000...55 mil traveling doesn’t come close. Throw airlines ontop and we’re starting to get in the ballpark

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What do they consider travel though?
And the larger impact is many choosing auto instead of air, train, bus ect.
An almost 50% drop in air travel isn't tiny.
I think they mean travel out of state or in state but still overnight. I don’t think they mean driving 15 mins to an uncle‘s house. If the number last year was 55M that’s less than 20% of the population so it can’t include local travel to a relative or friend’s house.

Disstevefan1

Because of his razor like focus on handling the virus.. like FDR comes this idea.

I like Geraldo, but I don’t like this idea. The Trump administration should get credit as a result of Operation Warp Speed, but this is a bad idea.

One thing is for sure, the media will label the vaccine Trump if anything goes wrong with the vaccine or it’s distribution, even after he has long left office.

DisneyCane

Aircraft cabin atmosphere is constantly recirculate air through an air filtration system that is no where near hospital grade. Forget social distancing. Then you get treated like live stock. Ahhhhhh but many people simply think about time and where they want to be. Anything else is just a minor nuisance.

That is not correct. The some of the air is recirculated through a HEPA filter which is hospital grade (well, rated for the same sized particles) and some of the air is fresh from outside. The overall result of the mix of fresh and recirculated is the cabin air is changed out completely every 2-3 minutes.

So, then, you're on board with taking precautions like mask mandates, social distancing, restrictions on gatherings? You seem to imply they're effective and make a difference.

Social distancing yes, I wouldn't have a problem with mask mandates when social distancing isn't possible or when it is likely to be violated IF the required masks were specified and tested to those specifications. My issue is the "throw some fabric on your face" mandates that make people feel like they are doing something. I do not support any restrictions on private or political gatherings no matter what effect they have on virus spread because I feel strongly that freedom and right to assembly are critical parts of the constitution that should never be infringed upon.

I don’t disagree on the sensationalism. It’s obviously meant to be provocative and make people pause to think about their actions.

You seriously don’t see the difference between traveling and staying home? How many of the people traveling are then arriving and having Thanksgiving with their immediate family only? When you travel somewhere, especially by plane (like your NY to FL example) you have to stay with a friend or relative (increasing potential spread) or in a hotel where you most likely eat meals out and have many more opportunities to interact with strangers. As cases spike we should all be doing less in public, less interacting with others and certainly less visiting with friends and relatives. The greater community spread is the greater the chance of infection. It’s basic math. Stay home and enjoy Thanksgiving with your immediate family unless you planned ahead and quarantined for the 14 days leading into Thanksgiving.

I agree that when people travel for thanksgiving it is to usually gather with people outside of their household. However, many of those people would choose to gather with people from outside of their household if they stayed in town as well. In my opinion, as cases spike, the elderly and people vulnerable to the virus should double down on protecting themselves and not interacting with people, especially in a non-socially distant setting. People who live with elderly or vulnerable individuals should do the same.

I'm not gathering with my Mom or any other elderly relatives for Thanksgiving and haven't had any indoor contact with any of them since March. People need to take personal responsibility if they want to protect themselves or their relatives or friends. It isn't society's job or the "government's" job to make sure my Mom doesn't catch COVID. It's her job and the job of the people who would have normally been in contact with her.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like Geraldo, but I don’t like this idea. The Trump administration should get credit as a result of Operation Warp Speed, but this is a bad idea.

One thing is for sure, the media will label the vaccine Trump if anything goes wrong with the vaccine or it’s distribution, even after he has long left office.

Did you understand the context of his comment?
He was doing it to suggest a “binkie” to get him to leave

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I saw that and assumed he was joking. That wasn’t a serious suggestion. If they wanted to name the vaccine for the head scientist involved in developing it that might be ok but there are multiple vaccines so they would all have different names. As far as warp speed, that’s not a unique program. There are similar programs in the UK, Japan and a joint program in the EU which all made significant investments in vaccines which may have never worked. It’s a worldwide initiative.

If there are issues with vaccine distribution it will be long after Trump is gone so I don’t see him getting any blame. If there are delays in distribution in January due to a lack of transition time that falls squarely on his shoulders. There’s still time to smooth out the transition but cooler heads need to prevail.

techgeek

Social distancing yes, I wouldn't have a problem with mask mandates when social distancing isn't possible or when it is likely to be violated IF the required masks were specified and tested to those specifications. My issue is the "throw some fabric on your face" mandates that make people feel like they are doing something. I do not support any restrictions on private or political gatherings no matter what effect they have on virus spread because I feel strongly that freedom and right to assembly are critical parts of the constitution that should never be infringed upon.

Cloth face masks work to help control the spread of Covid-19. This has become indisputable science. People are doing something when they wear face masks. Whatever your personal beliefs and feelings are against face masks, please stop spreading misinformation regarding mask usage.

From the CDC:

CDC recommends community use of masks, specifically non-valved multi-layer cloth masks, to prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Masks are primarily intended to reduce the emission of virus-laden droplets (“source control”), which is especially relevant for asymptomatic or presymptomatic infected wearers who feel well and may be unaware of their infectiousness to others, and who are estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions.1,2 Masks also help reduce inhalation of these droplets by the wearer (“filtration for personal protection”).

Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14 and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured.5,6,15,16 Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets,4 with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control.3,9,14

Seven studies have confirmed the benefit of universal masking in community level analyses: in a unified hospital system,38 a German city,39 a U.S. state,40 a panel of 15 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.,41,42 as well as both Canada43 and the U.S.44 nationally. Each analysis demonstrated that, following directives from organizational and political leadership for universal masking, new infections fell significantly. Two of these studies42,44 and an additional analysis of data from 200 countries that included the U.S.45 also demonstrated reductions in mortality. An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product.42

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that when people travel for thanksgiving it is to usually gather with people outside of their household. However, many of those people would choose to gather with people from outside of their household if they stayed in town as well. In my opinion, as cases spike, the elderly and people vulnerable to the virus should double down on protecting themselves and not interacting with people, especially in a non-socially distant setting. People who live with elderly or vulnerable individuals should do the same.
Yes, but the travel they are talking about is overnight travel. There’s way more public interaction with that vs staying home and even when getting together with relatives if you go somewhere local for a few hours it’s possible to stay mostly outdoors or wear masks or distance. If you fly to FL from NY to stay with relatives for the long weekend are you really staying outside or wearing masks all weekend? Doubtful many people do that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, but the travel they are talking about is overnight travel. There’s way more public interaction with that vs staying home and even when getting together with relatives if you go somewhere local for a few hours it’s possible to stay mostly outdoors or wear masks or distance. If you fly to FL from NY to stay with relatives for the long weekend are you really staying outside or wearing masks all weekend? Doubtful many people do that.
Just give up...

The only “human” in the country still talking about “vulnerable people”....everyone else seems to get it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol...just saw the new “come back/plan when you’re ready...” wdw ads on tv...

Didn’t anyone let them know it’s safe and Florida has It figured out??

😂😂🤪🤪

jmp85

I think they mean travel out of state or in state but still overnight. I don’t think they mean driving 15 mins to an uncle‘s house. If the number last year was 55M that’s less than 20% of the population so it can’t include local travel to a relative or friend’s house.

GoofGoof, what's your thoughts on the May timeline? Seem reasonable?

Our daughter turns 3 in late June, so we really need to squeeze in a Disney trip before I have to start paying 🤣

GoofGoof

Premium Member
GoofGoof, what's your thoughts on the May timeline? Seem reasonable?

Our daughter turns 3 in late June, so we really need to squeeze in a Disney trip before I have to start paying 🤣

I remember those days...wait until they stop eating off the kid’s menu and also need adult tickets. Double whammy ;););)

I am optimistic that we can get pretty close to that timeline. I am hedging my bets a little, I have a house rented in the Outer Banks end of June after school gets out. If we’re still under full Covid restrictions it should be relatively easy to enjoy the beach and the house anyway but I’m hoping to be able to eat a few meals out and be there to celebrate the end of this pandemic. I am planning a return to WDW in August which I know is still no sure thing. I am nervous the government is over promising a little on timelines, but if that’s based on Pfizer and Moderna alone it becomes even more likely if Oxford and JnJ come through as well. The start of the impact of the vaccine should begin even before full herd immunity is reached so even if we’re at 50% by May instead of 70% that could be enough to begin seeing a sharp decline in cases and maybe loosening of some covid restrictions.

I say go for it :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

DCBaker

Premium Member
Usually the daily PDF is updated shortly after the FDOH dashboard, but that has not happened yet today (the reported cases are usually slightly different).

As the Miami Herald notes, this is the updated dashboard totals - if the PDF updates, I'll post the graphs when they do.

"The state of Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard reported 6,587 new cases and 61 deaths, while current hospitalizations shot up 217 in one day.

Sunday’s announced case total breaks a run of five consecutive days over 7,000 new cases for the state, although Sunday numbers usually have been lower throughout the pandemic. There’s usually less data collection and entry over the weekend."

Lilofan

Large family gatherings that are planned for Thanksgiving could be planning for December funerals in the future.

DCBaker

Premium Member
LA County has announced a suspension of outdoor dining for at least 3 weeks (most likely including Universal CityWalk Hollywood?) -

"L.A. County public health officials on Sunday announced they will issue an order suspending outdoor dining at restaurants amid a surge of new coronavirus cases.

The new rule takes effect at 10 p.m. Wednesday and restricts restaurants, along with breweries, wineries and bars, to takeout and delivery only for the first time since May. They will remain in place for at least three weeks, officials said.

Wineries and breweries can continue retail operations."

Here is the latest from the COVID-19 Tracking Project -

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
The PDF was finally published...

Numbers are out - there were 61 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.57.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.57.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.57.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.56.58 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom