New Evolv AI security scanners & bag-check procedures implemented at the parks

Marc Davis Fan

My understanding is that Disney security are not allowed to touch you.

That sounds correct. I suppose if they wanted to institute "pat downs," they could rely on a third-party company with a good reputation, to which they'd point in response to negative press about it. But my guess is they'd be unlikely to institute "pat downs" in any fashion.

I there must be some alternative to "pat downs" in existence somewhere. I could imagine, for instance, some weird robot AI technology that does the "pat down" instead of a human...

Also, re @PG 134's post directly above this one:

Wands and dogs would solve most of the "scanner bypass" problem. However, this still leaves wheelchairs and the like...

TrainsOfDisney

I there must be some alternative to "pat downs" in existence somewhere. I could imagine, for instance, some weird robot AI technology that does the "pat down" instead of a human...
In California, my belt always triggered the detecors. They would have me step aside, and they would wand me. When the wand would go off at my belt, the security would ask me to move my belt buckle so they could see that was the only metal in that area. So there is a process of visually checking. After this exact scenario happened twice in a row, I took of my belt and put it in the bin for future entrances.

Side note, that same belt didn’t trigger the old metal detectors in Florida.

LastoneOn

There is no need for pat down. If you can't empty your pockets, "clean yourself up" to pass the wand or scanner, there is something wrong. Disney is private business, can deny you entry for any reason, the burden is on you not them.

Tazer19

There is no need for pat down. If you can't empty your pockets, "clean yourself up" to pass the wand or scanner, there is something wrong. Disney is private business, can deny you entry for any reason, the burden is on you not them.

In my previous post, my mind immediately went to the airport when I was talking about opting out of the new scanners for pat downs. I wouldn’t expect Disney to do one and they never have. I probably set us off on an unnecessary tangent.

In the past I’ve told Disney security about my gear before I set off the metal detector. They would have me go through anyway (didn’t always go off...) and then wand and take a quick look. My hope is there is an easy direction/path for those of us who medically can’t use the new devices. They can wand me all they want. I’ll even let them swab my hands and put it in the bomb juice checker like the airport. 😂

lifeguard1020

There's always the wands or dogs if person refuses the scanners due to medical implants.
I'm in the pat-down line than. Because even wands aren't supposed to go near me. Any kind of magnet, xray device can be very bad. If I need xrays or cat scans I have to have a rep from the company come in and temporarily turn my thing off. I'll never be able to get an MRI again the rest of my life. Even if i have the thing turned off or removed, they can not remove the leads that are in my brain itself.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm in the pat-down line than. Because even wands aren't supposed to go near me. Any kind of magnet, xray device can be very bad. If I need xrays or cat scans I have to have a rep from the company come in and temporarily turn my thing off. I'll never be able to get an MRI again the rest of my life. Even if i have the thing turned off or removed, they can not remove the leads that are in my brain itself.
What was your experience at Disney security in the past? Do they understand your concerns and have a policy in place?

Gillyanne

Another thing to add to the false positive/trigger list seems to be my phone's external battery. I have a moto z so it has those mods you just attach on the back. I think I had it in my bag Monday and Friday (went with the conventional power brick the other days) and I needed the extra bag check. Friday my niece and I went for a ride on the skyliner while mom and step dad ate at some booths so I left the mod with her. When we re-entered nothing triggered 🤷
I guess bc it being a battery combined with a magnet did it (i still had my camera mod on me when ee re-entered)

lifeguard1020

What was your experience at Disney security in the past? Do they understand your concerns and have a policy in place?
It's been about 4 years since my last visit, but in the past they have always just let me walk around the detectors. Then, they would just kind of give me a look over. My scars from the surgeries are pretty obvious, and my card pretty much spell out whats up.
HOWEVER...Airports have no idea what they're doing. I'm technically not supposed to come within 30 feet of the walk through metal detectors. At both Ohare and LAX, they kind of are confused and tell me that there's no way to do that. I'm fine with the full body pat down and all that stuff, I understand. Just the only way that I could go was to "run through" so get a safe distance on the other side.

LastoneOn

It's been about 4 years since my last visit, but in the past they have always just let me walk around the detectors. Then, they would just kind of give me a look over. My scars from the surgeries are pretty obvious, and my card pretty much spell out whats up.
HOWEVER...Airports have no idea what they're doing. I'm technically not supposed to come within 30 feet of the walk through metal detectors. At both Ohare and LAX, they kind of are confused and tell me that there's no way to do that. I'm fine with the full body pat down and all that stuff, I understand. Just the only way that I could go was to "run through" so get a safe distance on the other side.
I think Disney has a way. Certainly more friendly about it that TSA. With TSA someone asking for a pat down is kind of an anomaly, maybe not every airport but many. Where I'm at tourist seasons gets the crew hyped up a bit and very diligent and picky and strict. Off season a bit more relaxed, they live here too and recognize the regulars whatever. Not that they let things slide mind you, but their demeanor, their attitude. I think CMs are the same, every employee dealing with the public is the same. Rush hour madness, stress vs easier time of the day sort of thing.

Hope it goes well for you.

TrainsOfDisney

With TSA someone asking for a pat down is kind of an anomaly, maybe not every airport but many.
A co-worker that I would regularly travel with used to ask for a pat down vs. the regular scanner because of some sort of political principal. I always tried to get ahead of him since he would often annoy the agents haha.

I’ve actually had mostly good encounters with TSA except for a few who like to scold everyone about how to place luggage on the belt.. but as you said that’s mostly seen in larger tourist cities like Orlando and Vegas.

NelleBelle

Probably will be.

And don't disparage the security and checkpoint CMs. Not everyone that does the job is a wannabe, or reject etc. It's work, it's a paycheck, it feeds the family.
I’ll just say that all the negative Disney security issues I’ve ever had have been at WDW—never an issue at DLR. I appreciate everyone has a job to do, but when you are wearing a Disney name tag, act like you don’t have a personal grudge against kids, women, families, etc. RUDE!!

NelleBelle

Huh??? Surely you’re not saying that those of us with medical devices have something “wrong” with us because we can’t pass the wand or scanner and Disney has the right to refuse us? I must be missing something in the above post...

TrainsOfDisney

I’ll just say that all the negative Disney security issues I’ve ever had have been at WDW—never an issue at DLR. I appreciate everyone has a job to do, but when you are wearing a Disney name tag, act like you don’t have a personal grudge against kids, women, families, etc. RUDE!!
Same. Disneyland Resort security has always been organized, professional, and consistent. That has not been my experience at WDW. Typically wdw is either really friendly and nice, or surprisingly aggressive. There is usually not an in between.

LastoneOn

Mine have been at TSA and quite minimal.
Rude people are everywhere yes.
But someone who continually posts that they get hassled 95% of the time might want examine how they approach the thing, their demeanor, their aura whatever. that's all

LastoneOn

Same. Disneyland Resort security has always been organized, professional, and consistent. That has not been my experience at WDW. Typically wdw is either really friendly and nice, or surprisingly aggressive. There is usually not an in between.
Not my experience at all.
So, you can all keep arguing with me or accept that I at least, have totally different experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom