COVID Eating and Drinking Rules

DISR

I’m sure this had been covered, but I don’t want to sort through 1000’s of search hits on COVID. What are the rules once you get a drink or snack in the parks? Find a place to stand and finish it? My understanding is you cannot walk while eating and drinking. Do you have to go to a designated area, or literally stop walking for a second to take a bite or drink and then move on? So much of what you eat and drink in the parks is designed to consume on the move, so the restrictions seem odd. Trying to figure out how they are implemented and how that impacts your movement. EP in particular has always been a moving buffet/bar for us. What is that like now? This is not a debate on the rules. Just trying to figure out how to operate within them.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes you must stop and be stAtionary while eating or drinking. I think they encourage you to step away from crowds for distancing but the main thing is just not to walk and eat. It’s annoying but I understand why since so many people were abusing the previous system and would hold a drink for hours to not wear a mask.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

With the food booth situation they are making a point to continually remind guests to find a spot and then eat/drink their items and not be on the move. Signage is in place. CM's are being on the alert for those not obeying the rules. But you will always find those who try pushing boundaries and do things their way.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Sometimes being stationary at a table is not good enough. I was told to put my mask back on even though I was sitting at one of the designated tables outside of ABC Commissary before the restaurant opened again. Apparently, I wasn't drinking enough to warrant having the mask off. It irked me a bit considering I watched some lady across the walkway near the meet & greet (I have no idea what it is called, but near Sci-Fi) not having her mask on nor was she eating/drinking. She was sitting there talking to her kids, getting up, and taking pictures and getting in the way of others walking by. I put my mask back on btw.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

I also wanted to add a new rule that you cannot eat or drink while in line for an attraction.

As for Epcot it is very easy to find a table near booths (they seem to have added more for this festival due to the rule) and quickly finish your food and drink before moving on to the next booth. For the other parks, just find a location off to the side and eat whatever snack or drink you need (if not at a restaurant/quick service).

Upvote 0

DISR

Original Poster
Thanks. I don't have any real problem with the rules...you know what they are and you can choose to go or not go. I would have a problem if they sold you food/drink without a place to eat it, and made it overly difficult to eat while standing around. I do get that allowing eating/drinking while walking just opens the door for abuse. I assume the lines for attractions are still reasonable right now. The restrictions on eating/drinking in line could get interesting during longer waits when hot weather returns. Telling people they cannot hydrate while in a 2 hour wait in summer seems like a recipe for disaster. Sounds like the whole thing could be a lot more difficult with younger kids too. Mandatory masks and limiting when they can have food and drinks (along with all the normal Disney stress factors) could make for some epic kiddie meltdowns.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

Thanks. I don't have any real problem with the rules...you know what they are and you can choose to go or not go. I would have a problem if they sold you food/drink without a place to eat it, and made it overly difficult to eat while standing around. I do get that allowing eating/drinking while walking just opens the door for abuse. I assume the lines for attractions are still reasonable right now. The restrictions on eating/drinking in line could get interesting during longer waits when hot weather returns. Telling people they cannot hydrate while in a 2 hour wait in summer seems like a recipe for disaster. Sounds like the whole thing could be a lot more difficult with younger kids too. Mandatory masks and limiting when they can have food and drinks (along with all the normal Disney stress factors) could make for some epic kiddie meltdowns.

I am sure quick sip of water and putting your mask back is fine for longer lines, the new rule was just to curb people bringing in full drinks and leaving their masks off for the entire line, which endangers others.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I also wanted to add a new rule that you cannot eat or drink while in line for an attraction.

As for Epcot it is very easy to find a table near booths (they seem to have added more for this festival due to the rule) and quickly finish your food and drink before moving on to the next booth. For the other parks, just find a location off to the side and eat whatever snack or drink you need (if not at a restaurant/quick service).

Several weeks ago, before the new rule, I was in the queue for MF:SR. Because of the queue snaking through the land, the queue goes right past a food cart. People were availing themselves of it (Who can blame them? The cart was right there). I would have purchased a "carbonated caf" (i.e. Coke) but someone else was taking his sweet time with the order and the queue kept on going. I gave up and got back in my place in the queue. I wonder how they handle that now?

One thing I will still do if I go back any time soon. I'll still take a sip of my bottled water. No one can tell me I'm not allowed to hydrate while standing in a queue in the hot sun.

Upvote 0

Zé_Carioca

Several weeks ago, before the new rule, I was in the queue for MF:SR. Because of the queue snaking through the land, the queue goes right past a food cart. People were availing themselves of it (Who can blame them? The cart was right there). I would have purchased a "carbonated caf" (i.e. Coke) but someone else was taking his sweet time with the order and the queue kept on going. I gave up and got back in my place in the queue. I wonder how they handle that now?

One thing I will still do if I go back any time soon. I'll still take a sip of my bottled water. No one can tell me I'm not allowed to hydrate while standing in a queue in the hot sun.
I don't know for sure but it seems the new signage of the rule and enforcing is mostly after the official ride marquee and entrance (since there is only the CM with the line starts here sign before you reach the actual ride area), and not on the extended lines so I would imagine those people would still buy drinks from the cart but be asked to finish or throw them out when they reach the actual queue area.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Saw this in action, a guy hoped into the line to join his friend and he had two lemon ices(had not opened yet) and was told he would not be allowed to eat them in the line by a cast member. The guys stowed them in a backpack, and hopefully they were not mush by the time they had them!

Upvote 0

Schweino

Right before the signage entry to Splash Mountain (line was snaking out really good), they told people they couldn't bring in their drinks and they had to stow or finish.

Upvote 0

DISR

Original Poster
Just got back, so I'll provide my own first-hand answer to my original question. The rules seem to vary slightly from location to location and/or the cast members involved. Generally it was not an issue to eat or drink in the extended queue areas....numerous times I heard cast members tell people to finish food/drink prior to entering the original (non-COVID) queue entrance. The lines were very long, but moved very quickly as well. Entering the actual original queue area was probably the last 25% of the wait at most. The biggest challenge was having somone leave the line to get a drink and finding you when they returned....the lines moved that fast.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom