Toddler harassed about mask?

mamalin847

Original Poster
I’m considering a trip to Disney in January. My child will be 20 months old at the time of our trip. Obviously this is under the disney mask age, and he will not be required to wear one (And it would in fact be dangerous for him to do so per CDC). But my question is....will cast members harass me about him not wearing a mask? He is tall for his age, in 98th percentile in height, 65th in weight- he’s nearly the size of his three year old cousin! . I’m worried the cast members will constantly bother us about him. Or even worse-directly ask him to put on a mask- which I feel like would confuse and upset him. Does anybody have experience being at the parks during covid with a little one and being asked to wear a mask or witnessing that? Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated! NOTE: this is NOT a mask debate, or me asking if I should take this vacation, so please keep those opinions to yourself. :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Mask debate or not there is a Disneyworld standard of 2 years or older must wear a mask. As long as you have proof of age, there wont be an issue.

I personally have observed a parent trying to subvert this requirement at the tapstiles at Magic Kingdom. When asked for proof of age, they did not have it when the childs size was in question. The average height of a 2-year-old is 33.2 inches for females and 34.2 for males.

RememberWhen

Usually the CMs will take your word for the age of your kiddo. Sometimes they will ask the kid. I expect that’s the worst that would happen. A CM nicely asking “Hey buddy, how old are you?” If your child is really abnormally large (doesn’t sound like the case, kids’ sizes vary just like adult sizes) it couldn’t hurt to have a copy of their birth certificate.
Pre-Covid we brought our son on his first trip at a few months over 2. Still free, but he was big enough to ride lots of things. He was quite tall for his age. We never encountered anyone asking about his age.
I think you should be fine. I hope you and your family have a great trip!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Usually the CMs will take your word for the age of your kiddo. Sometimes they will ask the kid. I expect that’s the worst that would happen. A CM nicely asking “Hey buddy, how old are you?” If your child is really abnormally large (doesn’t sound like the case, kids’ sizes vary just like adult sizes) it couldn’t hurt to have a copy of their birth certificate.
Pre-Covid we brought our son on his first trip at a few months over 2. Still free, but he was big enough to ride lots of things. He was quite tall for his age. We never encountered anyone asking about his age.
I think you should be fine. I hope you and your family have a great trip!

My experience was during current conditions this September. CM did ask the child how old he was but still had to have a supervisor do the final adjudication. Times and standards change, especially during these times. Remember its not just about your child, its about all guests.

olie64

I’m considering a trip to Disney in January. My child will be 20 months old at the time of our trip. Obviously this is under the disney mask age, and he will not be required to wear one (And it would in fact be dangerous for him to do so per CDC). But my question is....will cast members harass me about him not wearing a mask? He is tall for his age, in 98th percentile in height, 65th in weight- he’s nearly the size of his three year old cousin! . I’m worried the cast members will constantly bother us about him. Or even worse-directly ask him to put on a mask- which I feel like would confuse and upset him. Does anybody have experience being at the parks during covid with a little one and being asked to wear a mask or witnessing that? Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated! NOTE: this is NOT a mask debate, or me asking if I should take this vacation, so please keep those opinions to yourself. :)

When we went in July with out 18 month old...only had one cast member ask about it. Said she was 18 months they go alright have a nice day. we did always have mask for her..as she liked to be like her big sister and would wear it from time to time.

mamalin847

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences! I would definitely make sure to have a copy of his birth certificate with us. I imagine it wouldn’t be a big deal to be asked his age at the gate once or twice. My concern would be being bothered by cast members several times a day, while walking around, while waiting in lines, while getting on rides, etc. I’m kind of a shy person and don’t like conflict. I just wouldn’t want to be harassed or feel like my little guy was being bothered by it. At that point the magic is gone and why bother yanno?

jaklgreen

I don't think anyone has reported any "harassment" by cast members. They might ask for the child's age, but unless you are trying to pass a 5yo off as 2, then they will take your word for it.

olie64

I don't think anyone has reported any "harassment" by cast members. They might ask for the child's age, but unless you are trying to pass a 5yo off as 2, then they will take your word for it.

When we were there in July and only had one cast member ask. (edit because it seemed snarky and I didn't mean for that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom