Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

TrainsOfDisney

Really? It was prettier in some parts but it was t any sort of coherent vision. It also starts by pushing the idea that Walt was a plagiarist.
I liked it. Bugs land wasn’t anything special and the Hollywood courtyard needed (and still needs) more work but yeah it felt like a really nice 2nd gate. When there was a daily parade and world of color it seemed like a very complete park.

lazyboy97o

What's the plagiarist part? I may have missed that.
The whole premise of Buena Vista Street is that it is the Los Angeles of Walt's first years after moving to California. The names are Disney characters because they are supposed to be what "inspired" Walt to use those names, but the land goes beyond just names and uses the actual character designs.

_caleb

The whole premise of Buena Vista Street is that it is the Los Angeles of Walt's first years after moving to California. The names are Disney characters because they are supposed to be what "inspired" Walt to use those names, but the land goes beyond just names and uses the actual character designs.
Got it. Now I vaguely recall some discussion about that. Thanks.

I did think DCA 2.0 (pre-Pixar Pier and the destruction of Bug's Land) was nice. But that was probably because my standard was lowered by hours sitting in bleachers in the hot sun watching motorcycle jumps in the summer of 2003.

Disneyson

If you want to get really technical, the street begins with a nearly daily Oswald Meet-and-Greet. By the end of the street, you reach Carthay Circle, where Snow White is supposed to be premiering. I am unsure of Imagineering’s intent, but I bet you could make the claim that there is some sort of time progression from the start of the street to the end, like Liberty Square. That would imply that the character designs were adopted by the shopkeepers post-creation.

_caleb

If you want to get really technical, the street begins with a nearly daily Oswald Meet-and-Greet. By the end of the street, you reach Carthay Circle, where Snow White is supposed to be premiering. I am unsure of Imagineering’s intent, but I bet you could make the claim that there is some sort of time progression from the start of the street to the end, like Liberty Square. That would imply that the character designs were adopted by the shopkeepers post-creation.
This makes sense. But as with Dino-Rama, if you have to go to great lengths to explain it, you've probably not done a great job in theming.

Disneyson

This makes sense. But as with Dino-Rama, if you have to go to great lengths to explain it, you've probably not done a great job in theming.
I mean, I also think that Liberty Square’s date theming is obscure, as is Pandora’s timeline, but I think it’s excellent theming. Layers for those that care to look deeper, right?

UNCgolf

I mean, I also think that Liberty Square’s date theming is obscure, as is Pandora’s timeline, but I think it’s excellent theming. Layers for those that care to look deeper, right?

Even though it's relatively obvious (at least it seems so to me), I don't think many guests realize how the buildings in the UK pavilion at EPCOT are themed either.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Oh, this is something I DON’T know!

Each building facade reflects a different architectural style from UK history. The Rose and Crown actually has a different style for all four sides of the building to show different types of pubs, and the three dining rooms on the inside also are each designed to showcase a different style.

The water right in front of the pub was supposed to be a canal lock (the side of the pub facing it is the waterfront style of pub) and originally had lock gates, but they removed them for some reason -- if I had to guess it's because they needed maintenance/replacement and they decided to just get rid of them instead of spending money, but maybe I'm just too cynical -- so now it just looks like a random channel.

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

This is like Scream 4... All bets are off the table! No one is safe, not even you Sidney!

I mentioned in another thread on here recently. My friend has been in Glendale with the company for 40 years. He needs 50 for full retirement. Yes Disney makes people work 50 years for full retirement. They let him go just recently too. His last hop was as a director in Imagineering. He has done a few roles with the company and made them MILLLLLLLIONS of dollars. But doesn't seem to be a company about family but a company about bottom line.

Disneyson

That makes a lot of sense. I always supposed that each Pavillion was showing off the greatest amount of cultural diversity possible except for the very specific style of American Adventure - I didn’t even think to notice that each facade of a single building was in a different style - it just seems so natural when walking through.

UNCgolf

That makes a lot of sense. I always supposed that each Pavillion was showing off the greatest amount of cultural diversity possible except for the very specific style of American Adventure - I didn’t even think to notice that each facade of a single building was in a different style - it just seems so natural when walking through.

Yeah, it's pretty neat when you take the time to really look at all the buildings in the UK.

I think the Rose and Crown is the only one where each side of the facade is in a different style, but the other buildings all have their own specific historic style. There are styles ranging from the 1500s up through the 1800s (and maybe early 1900s; I can't remember) as well as buildings modeled on Hampton Court Palace and Abbotsford House (I think). I also think they go in chronological order, but I'm not 100% sure about that either.

Robbiem

Yeah, it's pretty neat when you take the time to really look at all the buildings in the UK.

I think the Rose and Crown is the only one where each side of the facade is in a different style, but the other buildings all have their own specific historic style. There are styles ranging from the 1500s up through the 1800s (and maybe early 1900s; I can't remember) as well as buildings modeled on Hampton Court Palace and Abbotsford House (I think). I also think they go in chronological order, but I'm not 100% sure about that either.

the tea caddy is also based on Anne Hathaway’s cottage in Stratford upon Avon. The UK is a really interesting showcase example of putting different eras and parts of the UK in the same place rather than recreating Paris or Venice for example. I’d love someone like Joe Rhode to do a photo tour of the details

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom