Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just came back from a outer banks vacation fir a week. Every restaurant was open along with every bar in those restaurants. There was also a lot of outdoor dining for places that had room to set up but it was so open inside that after seeing the bars, in the restaurants, I left before being seated. 20-30 people basically sitting on top of each other at the bars. Bit to much for me. We ate in 3 restaurants during the week, take out the rest of the time.
Not sure why restaurants can’t just seat people at tables 6 feet apart and keep the bar closed. This is where the economy argument falls flat. If those same 20-30 people were sitting at properly distanced tables they would make the same amount of money. It’s not fear of business bankruptcy that drives that to be allowed it’s simply a desire to not have to deal with restrictions. That’s why I keep saying the majority of the economy could be open and things could be a lot better if people just did what they know they should be doing instead of looking for reasons to resist.

DisneyDebRob

Not sure why restaurants can’t just seat people at tables 6 feet apart and keep the bar closed. This is where the economy argument falls flat. If those same 20-30 people were sitting at properly distanced tables they would make the same amount of money. It’s not fear of business bankruptcy that drives that to be allowed it’s simply a desire to not have to deal with restrictions. That’s why I keep saying the majority of the economy could be open and things could be a lot better if people just did what they know they should be doing instead of looking for reasons to resist.
Don’t get me wrong GoofGoof.. I was pleasantly surprised at the seating in the restaurants. They were spaced 6 feet or more in every place. Felt comfortable in the ones we did go inside for. My complaint is.. all the hard work they are doing to keep people safe by doing that.. then the bar is loaded with people. It was like bar-before pandemic..restaurant-during pandemic. I just don’t get it. It’s a shame because we weren’t the only people I saw walk up then leave.

drew81

I wonder if they were asked to leave property?
BC9A1BC3-4D43-4821-9185-B9B3C65C00E1.jpeg

icc2515

I wonder if they were asked to leave property?
View attachment 508422
What do you think the odds are that it was a VIP tour guide that took the picture? When we were there last week there were cast members at the castle holding sigsn that said you had to keep your masks on for pictures. Plus there were announcements over the pa that stated masks on for pictures. Speaking of the pa, when did start interrmixing the English woman in with the regular announcer, because I like it.

Tom P.

Yup! Should have been mandated from the federal level and not red vs blue.
Except that the federal government has no authority to issue a national mask mandate. Leaders on both the left and the right have agreed. That is not the way our system is designed or works. Public health matters in our system are, for the most part, left to the states and, in some cases, to the individual counties.

JoeCamel

Except that the federal government has no authority to issue a national mask mandate. Leaders on both the left and the right have agreed. That is not the way our system is designed or works. Public health matters in our system are, for the most part, left to the states and, in some cases, to the individual counties.
Authority or not it is a powerful message to say masks and distancing are required to beat this thing and keep our businesses open. IT would have saved so much pain to do that simple thing rather than a knee jerk pushback that brands your position for all time. You have no options once you go down that road.

Jrb1979

Except that the federal government has no authority to issue a national mask mandate. Leaders on both the left and the right have agreed. That is not the way our system is designed or works. Public health matters in our system are, for the most part, left to the states and, in some cases, to the individual counties.eve
Here is a crazy and novel idea, what if all the States worked together with the Federal government and had a plan? Its what they have done here, all the provinces and the federal government were on the same page. Its working, there is very little arguing over masks and very few conspiracy theorists.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Absolutely nothing “authorizes” or precludes any federal mandates on public health...because those things evolve and adapt over time.

Is this where we act something that says almost nothing covers everything? Please...don’t go there.

Last edited:

bdearl41

You have seen some restaurants open with outdoor seating that do not have bar seating.
I live in NC. We have our restaurants open but at limited capacity. Most restaurants if they can accommodate more by expanding their outside seating. Just in the past month have you been allowed to sit at a bar but in most cases you are 8-10 feet from the next person at a bar. I live in a city here and most people abide by the mask rule but outside the city no one is wearing a mask. Bars are still not open and there is a curfew on how late alcohol can be served. If Cooper wins in November it’s likely that in mid Nov to early Dec based on trends we could expect to see restrictions tighten again. I also have zero expectations of school opening this school year as county officials keep kicking the can down the road week by week. Some rural counties have schools open without any real issues.

DisneyCane

It’s never up to a business how many people they can serve at a time. There is always a max capacity in a restaurant or theatre. That is based on safety.

Right now, the max capacity is lowered because of safety.
However, the fire safety limits are known before the business is created in that space. The business plan is based on it. It will be grandfathered even if a municipality changes their regulations.

Similar to how once an aircraft is certified it doesn't have to be updated to current safety regulations.

Changing the rules in the middle of the game is not typically allowed legally. As far as I can tell there is no law (at least in Florida, but state I've seen) that gives the governor or other political official the power to change business maximum capacity due to an epidemic or pandemic.

DisneyCane

Absolutely nothing “authorizes” or precludes any federal mandates on public health...because those things evolve and adapt over time.

Is this where we act something that says almost nothing covers everything? Please...don’t go there.
A mask mandate is very different legally from things like FDA approval for food and drugs. A mask mandate can not be enforced by the federal government. The most they could do is tie money to a requirement that a state receiving the money has to have a mandate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pop Quiz Time:

There's a commercial sector of your economy that will spread plague during a worldwide epidemic. Do you:
A. Let that commercial sector operate and let plague spread, incurring large loss of life and huge medical costs that will eventually be borne by everyone since the individuals affected can't cover those types of costs?​
B. Shut down that commercial sector saving human lives and medical costs, but, that commercial sector dies creating harm to the economy that falls mostly on the owners and employees of that commercial sector, but the cost will also be borne by everyone because of rising unemployment and loss of taxes from that commercial sector?​
C. Shut down that commercial sector saving human lives and medical costs, but, your legislators bail out the commercial sector spreading the cost among all sectors of the economy over time?​

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
However, the fire safety limits are known before the business is created in that space. The business plan is based on it. It will be grandfathered even if a municipality changes their regulations.

Similar to how once an aircraft is certified it doesn't have to be updated to current safety regulations.

Changing the rules in the middle of the game is not typically allowed legally. As far as I can tell there is no law (at least in Florida, but state I've seen) that gives the governor or other political official the power to change business maximum capacity due to an epidemic or pandemic.
It’s not the “middle of the game” if something didn’t exist.

We need comprehensive “anti-whining” regs...we’ve gone soft.
And a constitutional amendment barring utter stupidity due to lack of historical understanding.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A mask mandate is very different legally from things like FDA approval for food and drugs. A mask mandate can not be enforced by the federal government. The most they could do is tie money to a requirement that a state receiving the money has to have a mandate.
There is zero...ZERO judgements to refer to on the legality of mask mandates. Let me guess: you’re a “constitutionalist” 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom