The CGI Paradigm Shift

_caleb

Can you please slow down? I can’t keep up with the conversation you’re having with yourself!
2FDD1074-70F1-441D-A4C9-E977D332E29C.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

I'm not sure if it's already been addressed, but I'd assume the actors who would have to okay their likeness's being used/recreated, would demand a hefty fee, equivalent to the actual pay they'd receive working on a film. I can't imagine this will go any further

_caleb

I'm not sure if it's already been addressed, but I'd assume the actors who would have to okay their likeness's being used/recreated, would demand a hefty fee, equivalent to the actual pay they'd receive working on a film. I can't imagine this will go any further
It was addressed. In the very first post of this thread:
Meanwhile, Lucasfilm inked a deal with Mark Hammill without much fanfare within the past 18 months which permits them to produce films featuring a CGI Luke Skywalker.
Seems like these sorts of “perpetual likeness use” contracts might be increasingly used. I know some actors have created high-definition scans of their bodies, facial expressions, gestures, and recorded their speech for this sort of thing. Apparently Lucasfilm has been doing this for a while.

Dan Deesnee

Pausing all these rides is short sighted. When things improve, possibly sooner than some think, they'll have next to nothing to get people hyped up to get back into the parks, outside of Rat.

It just makes their recovery take longer. The rides have to be finished, and interest rates are low, and guest will return. Finish the rides as soon as you can and the crowds will come back sooner, and bigger than they would without them.

Universal actually has in my opinion an incredible opportunity on their hands. They could push full steam ahead with epic and have it ready probably right around when crowds are starting to return in 2022/2023. What a blow to WDW that would be. One has a dark ride in the corner of the world showcase and the other has an entirely new massive land with several very popular intellectual properties.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal actually has in my opinion an incredible opportunity on their hands. They could push full steam ahead with epic and have it ready probably right around when crowds are starting to return in 2022/2023. What a blow to WDW that would be. One has a dark ride in the corner of the world showcase and the other has an entirely new massive land with several very popular intellectual properties.

And yet, they tried that. When Disney shut down, they continued to work on EU.
And then they laid off people
And stopped work on EU.
And rushed to open.
And started talking about a Plan B to move EU lands into UO or IoA.
And gave enormously discounted tickets because people weren't showing up.
And laid of more people.
And announced EU would be delayed by a year (if not more).
And laid of their "imagineers."

Universal is under the same financial straits as Disney. They have a park in California which they can't open (and likely can't open for a month after Disneyland opens because of the county their in).

Universal will not rush to build EU, if it ever gets built at all. If they have an opportunity to jump ahead of Disney, they sure aren't taking it. And all the signs point to that they can't because they don't have the capital or they're dead set on hedging their bets and waiting to see what happens.

icc2515

Universal actually has in my opinion an incredible opportunity on their hands. They could push full steam ahead with epic and have it ready probably right around when crowds are starting to return in 2022/2023. What a blow to WDW that would be.
This would actually be great for us the customer. The better Universal does, the more pressure it puts on Disney to do better. Chapek can cut cut cut and all it does is send more paying customers to Universal. Our next trip we have several days where we paid for hotel rooms at Universal even though we have DVC rooms available to us at no extra cost. That means meals at Universal, plus the hotel income. Universal gave us a great deal on AP's and we are using them. I personally hope that Universal takes this opportunity and runs with it.

techgeek

Universal actually has in my opinion an incredible opportunity on their hands. They could push full steam ahead with epic and have it ready probably right around when crowds are starting to return in 2022/2023.

Universal will not rush to build EU, if it ever gets built at all. If they have an opportunity to jump ahead of Disney, they sure aren't taking it. And all the signs point to that they can't because they don't have the capital or they're dead set on hedging their bets and waiting to see what happens.

I think EU is going to be delayed significantly, and the end result isn’t going to look like the concept art.

The reason being, we do not yet know what themed entertainment is actually going to look like in a post-covid world. Every attraction or park green-lit by a major player in the business is going to wind up being filtered by the collective experience of 2020, especially in how it manages the risks of gathering large numbers of people. Queue lines will evolve. Pre-show spaces will be modified. Segmentation of ride vehicles will be analyzed. How people interact with a park, with each other, and with staff is going to be under a lens.

Covid mitigation is now a baseline that future attractions will be designed to... because you don’t spend a couple billion dollars just to have it happen again sometime in the design life of the park... 30 years or more. Just like you design a park in central Florida for a hurricane or a So. Cal. one assuming it will have to weather a big quake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom