Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

matt9112

Meanwhile we just moved back into the purple tier in Riverside county...all indoor seating closed again. $%&#!!!!

I felt very, very safe the handful of times I ate indoors locally and was looking forward to hitting a couple of our favorites in Big Bear this weekend.
That sucks. Im honestly greatful i live in FL and can live life normally accepting the risk of covid.
Not Austin, that city is keeping everything closed, go with Houston, Dallas or pretty much any other city in Texas.
No shock so left leaning they might fall over.

el_super

You know why, because they ALL have an agenda. Yes even scientists.

My common sense tells me, that there is nothing to be gained and no agenda to meet in keeping Disneyland closed other than the safety and well being of people in California.

It's kind of sad that people would assume that those trying to keep them safe are stupid or evil.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, that would still be an issue. When we heard the 28,000 CMs would be laid off, I thought it would be mostly DLR only to find out it was WDW as well. The reality is open or not open a lower capacity can't sustain all those CMS, especially if spending is down too which I suspect it has to be considering so many others still out of work or making less than before.

However I do feel we are at a point now where can open some things up more safely but yes the problem is until we have a real federal plan then nothing will ever be as it was, until a vaccine shows up. And people are saying that won't solve anything right away.

But its nothing but a yo-yo effect, things go down for awhile, then they go back up again. Look at ALL the states spiking right now? This is the real problem because nothing seriously is being done to contain it sadly.

Right now, everyone is just making it up as they go along. We never had to deal with anything like this in our life time. I actually support most of the measures California is doing but I don't see why some things can't open up faster if they enforce mask wearing and social distancing in the theme parks. It could at least save some jobs too.
It’s really not an issue of strategy or not. People voluntarily curtailed their movement before any government action was taken and that remains the case today. Regardless of the strategy people are not moving around as they were before February. The parks at Walt Disney World are starting to crowd because Disney shifted more capacity to annual passholders because there has not been enough demand from hotel guests. Even if Newsom followed DeSantis and lifted restrictions those businesses on Harbor Blvd would still be in serious trouble.

There is some legal precedent to throw this type of decision to the county which might be better equipped to decide this. The fact that OC disagrees with the Governor here could help with that. Orange County, FL went the opposite direction and has a mask mandate when the state doesn’t.
Not really. Counties are subdivisions of the state and exist purely as entities of the states. They are not considered sovereign nor do they have any sort of federal relationship with the state. A state is largely free to create and dissolve counties at its discretion. Political subdivisions have no power of nullification, and even states are generally considered to not have the power to nullify federal law. Even in states where marijuana has been legalized you can still be federally prosecuted but likely will not because the Department of Justice has decided largely not to bother, not because they lack authority. Local governments can be more restrictive than the state government but not less restrictive. Orange County is free to add requirements to the California Building Standards Code but it cannot de jure remove requirements. Even in Florida, Orange County, FL can require masks but is preventing by the state from penalizing individuals. Arguing for the devolution of authority largely would require arguing against the entire statewide state of emergency as it means the emergency does not require coordinated statewide effort.

captveg

They're going to take legal action. As @Magic Feather stated the legal framework is already there. Cedar did the same thing in Ohio and the governor back tracked in a day. Newsom will be a longer fight, but Disney, Universal and others will certainly take this to court.

No way this ends today.

Yep. By these guidelines today Disneyland won't open until 2022 at the earliest. This would force a 3-5 year closure, IMO. It's absolutely untenable. The number of deaths from poverty from the entire economic collapse of Orange County will be 10x that of Covid 19. It's insanity.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If people think its unsafe they can....get this...not visit. A government body shouldn't dictate your decisions like this. Its pretty clear cut and dry. Live life with higher risk or dont...personal choice is a thing...i mean i guess in California its been dead for a few decades but you get my drift.
So if I get drunk and then slam into you, can I just say you took the risk of being out while I was drinking and driving? Shouldn't we allow drunk driving since it kills 1/22 as many people?

fctiger

I don't even want to go to Disneyland. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've gone out every day to work in The Pandemic and I feel like the rest of you are clearly living in a different world (a far more Communist China world) where you all stay in the house and everything needs to be closed in the name of saving hypothetical 80 year olds with underlying issues who should be kept locked down. Many of us have been leaving the house every day throughout The Pandemic to work...does it bother you? If we can, why not Disney workers? What do you have against it? They haven't even been given the opportunity. I guess you just hate opportunity, don't you.

I know this wasn't aimed at me directly but I have a feeling it was written due to what I said. First off, OK, I understand. But look at this thread, MOST people actually agree with you, right? And the few that don't isn't saying they want it to be shut down forever, they just agree opening a theme park is not in the best interest right now.

And yes, plenty of people still go to work. I live in L.A. but fortunately work from home. But my girlfriend got a new job (after losing her last one due to Covid) and now goes to work every day. Most of my family still goes to work, but most of their jobs are considered essential.

I know a lot of people are angered right now but we shouldn't be surprised either. The fact is California is still just barely maintaining a 'normalcy' now but like so much of this pandemic, in reality its all a house of cards. It only takes one major outbreak somewhere before we REALLY have to shut down again and that's the fear. Don't believe me, look at Europe right now.

I wasn't trying to get on your case, but calling someone names because they are simply thinking about the health of people is uncalled for. Obviously this whole thing is bothering you as is others.

el_super

Yep. By these guidelines today Disneyland won't open until 2022 at the earliest. This would force a 3-5 year closure, IMO. It's absolutely untenable. The number of deaths from poverty from the entire economic collapse of Orange County wil lbe 10x that of Covid 19. It's insanity.

Orange County is no where near economic collapse. The unemployment rate is comparable to Florida which has opened theme parks. Doesn't seem to make much difference if they are open or not. The losses are just spread out differently.

matt9112

So if I get drunk and then slam into you, can I just say you took the risk of being out while I was drinking and driving? Shouldn't we allow drunk driving since it kills 1/22 as many people?

Thats not an act of god. (Legally speaking) you can directly decide to not drink or uber etc. You cannot see an invisible (to the naked eye) virus that is an inherent risk of humanity at this time. Covid is imho no different than getting struck by lightning morality wise. Its just a part of life. People are just clinging to the fact you can do things to lessen its transmission = control everyones life. You could also ban cars and prevent your example from occuring but that would make very little sense economically or else wise. Same thing here...theres a risk stay inside if your scared. Meet me in downtown sanford friday nights if your not.

George Lucas on a Bench

Screenshot_20201020-193729_Facebook.jpg

fctiger

Yep. By these guidelines today Disneyland won't open until 2022 at the earliest. This would force a 3-5 year closure, IMO. It's absolutely untenable. The number of deaths from poverty from the entire economic collapse of Orange County wil lbe 10x that of Covid 19. It's insanity.

I don't know how you assume it will be 2022 though? Base on what? I would LIKE to think if we had, let's just a new direction in a few months, then maybe we can contain it better faster. Again what is sooo frustrating about these discussions is that we act like America or even California lives in a vacuum. We see it can be contained better. Many others have done it. We can STILL do it, but yes it's going to take more than we already done. But what we are doing now is clearly not working.

el_super

Covid is imho no different than getting struck by lightning morality wise. Its just a part of life. People are just clinging to the fact you can do things to lessen its transmission = control everyones life.

It seems odd to use the current low transmission and mortality rates, created by an environment of lock downs and precautions, as justification of eliminating lock downs and precautions.

To extend the analogy a bit, it's almost as though you're suggesting drunk driving should be legalized, because fatalities from drunk driving are so low.

Scoots71

It seems odd to use the current low transmission and mortality rates, created by an environment of lock downs and precautions, as justification of eliminating lock downs and precautions.

To extend the analogy a bit, it's almost as though you're suggesting drunk driving should be legalized, because fatalities from drunk driving are so low.

However in this situation, we are not talking about eliminating precautions. We are talking about opening with certain precautions that have been proven effective in multiple nearly identical situations in other states and countries.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So... about the idea of opening the theme parks without the rides and shows and making it all about the shops and food service and a big food festival...

Ldno

I unsubscribed from Fresh Baked a year ago. About to do the same thing with Ordinary Adventures...showing off their free swag and videos of their shopping sprees just rub me the wrong way.
Pete was cool, but he’s sooo hostile on Twitter (the guy from OA) but very very true, sometimes I wonder why people send them gifts, you are not the only one, I used to be fans of their channel but just watching how they just focus on shopping and unboxing does make me change their channel fast.

lazyboy97o

However in this situation, we are not talking about eliminating precautions. We are talking about opening with certain precautions that have been proven effective in multiple nearly identical situations in other states and countries.
Nothing has been proven and that is going to be the parks' hurdle if they decide to go to court. Lack of evidence is not evidence. The amusement industry has been disappointingly disingenuous with their adoption of the "proven safe" mantra as there is almost no evidence that actually supports the claim. Places like Orange County, FL have claimed to have looked but do not have the resources or man power to conduct any sort of meaningful contact tracing and even just announced that they will now be targeting the theme parks for inspections regarding CDC operating guidelines. California is also not alone in keeping parks closed, with even Sweden being a place where they remain closed. Even if the parks are able to get a concession like the guidelines being again revised the geographic restrictions that were previously desired would be another, potential new hurdle as travel restrictions remain widespread and recommended.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom